PDA

View Full Version : Window popping out of the frame

haGGard
14-10-10, 02:48 PM
Since i've had my ZS the drivers window has never been able to close properly by itself, i have to help it up with my other hand to stop it popping out the frame by the pillar (not easy when driving!)

I've done my searches and tried a couple of things, first thing was a silicone based lubricant in the runners. This didnt work.

Second thing i've tried was adjust the runners using the two bolts at the bottom of the door panel. I tried the front bolt first, that did not help it, and then i tried the rear bolt and that didnt really do much either.

I'm now stumpped as to what i can do to solve this? Do i need new runners?

stamford
14-10-10, 03:11 PM
:hmmm: can't say I've had this before on the zed. Is the glass actually come adrift from the mechanism? I had this once on my Calibra, used gripfill to bond it back into the channel. Sounds like it isn't fully attached for it to pop out like that.

haGGard
14-10-10, 03:35 PM
Im not 100% sure what you mean, but it just seems to pop out the rubber as the mechanism pushes it up.

Steves Cleenz
14-10-10, 04:52 PM
take the door card off and halfway up the door (about where you expect the window winder is you never had electric windows) you will see a little 10mm bolt and on the door it has some markings, make sure this bolt is tight and this is the bolt you move to stop the window from coming out the runner

Southside_ZS
14-10-10, 05:13 PM
Yea as Steve says i've had it a couple of times. Usually the bolt comes loose and lets the motor move about causing the window not to sit straight.

Failing that if all seams well it could be the actual motor/runner itself thats worn and need replacing.

haGGard
14-10-10, 05:41 PM
Oh right never knew about that bolt. I've been adjusting the track bolts on the bottom corners of the door card. Will give it another go when i get the car back from the garage then!!

Cheers

Southside_ZS
14-10-10, 10:37 PM
Oh right never knew about that bolt. I've been adjusting the track bolts on the bottom corners of the door card. Will give it another go when i get the car back from the garage then!!

Cheers

You may not of noticed it because its hidden behind the plastic moisture sheet thing. I had to cut a slice to get to it. If its anything like mine was the bolt had worked itself loose and fell out completly and vanished. I had to find another bolt to replace it and it worked fine after that.

talkingcars
15-10-10, 05:17 AM
The front runner on mine is twisted, I've spent a lot of time trying to correct it and have come to the conclustion I need a new one.

It is so far out it is putting tension on the glass and on the coldest day we had last winter I came out of work at 5pm to find the glass had shattered! The day before I had a 200 mile roundtrip to collect my wife from the airport after she went to see her mum.

The day after the trip I took it into Autoglass as they are just near work, they had the car for several hours (7am until 5pm), 3 of them tried to correct it and didn't manage.

I just need to get a new runner, only been on my list of to do for 2 years!

Alan.F
15-10-10, 06:05 AM
I have had the same problem when i had my 45 and cured it as steve described

haGGard
15-10-10, 10:29 AM
Cheers for that, will be getting my car back from the garage today with new OEM clutch slave ect.

So plans now are

1) Fix this annoying window (i fear i might have covered the bolt altogether with sound proofing!! lol)

2) Get belts done (finally!)

3) Get a sheddist kit.

Then finally i might have a trouble free car! :laugh:

haGGard
10-11-10, 02:28 PM
Finally got round to trying to sort this out today. Ive taken a picture of what i think id the correct bolt, does it look like the right one?

It looks like its slipped down a bit or been adjusted before judging by the mark left around it.

What position is it best in? As i've tried adjusting it up and down (though it doesn't want to move much) and i've not seen any improvement.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd242/haggard04/photo.jpg

I can get a video of what my window is actually doing if it helps...

haGGard
10-11-10, 04:08 PM
Had another go, think i was having trouble as it was a 2 person job really. I needed one person to hold the window up in position as it was dropping, but managed myself just about.

It seems to be working properly now, still seems to struggle a little and sometimes looks like its close to popping out, but with a bit more silicone lubricant its working ok now, for how long i dont know though.

This is what it was doing before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_KAkLvG5YI