PDA

View Full Version : front hub issue

lawrence-zs180
15-10-10, 10:50 PM
When i removed my front n/s wheel i noticed that one of the threads has a weird bobble of melted metal on it meaning i cant put the nut back on... is it poss to re thread it or am i looking at a new hub, if i am how hard is it to do?
Cheers dudes

Willie Eckerslike
15-10-10, 11:26 PM
How did you get the nut off over this 'bobble'? Could it be something has landed on it once the nut was off? If so just pick/knock it off..... Or am I talking drunken nonsense...........

haGGard
16-10-10, 12:20 AM
i'm thinking the same thing.

If its just a bobble of metal, try knocking it off with a chisel or screw driver.

Can't be stuck on that hard unless its properly welded on and i can't see it being that.

Smokie
16-10-10, 05:17 AM
if you get a die the right size you should be able to re-tap it. have you tried cleaning the thread up if you go to a decent tool stockist you should be able to get a thread file and run it over the thread a few times and it might clean it up enough to get the nut back on. depending on how bad it is you might just be able to touch the thread up with a hacksaw blade and a bit of care.

petet16
16-10-10, 06:54 AM
You could also use a Die Nut, which would be easier as it has a hex drive, if you use a normal die and stock the other studs will stop you turning it.

lawrence-zs180
16-10-10, 08:43 AM
Well it was a bitch to get off and it trashed the stud so im assuming that the garage I had the wheel changed at ages ago just spun it on with a gun and left it.. nice.
I take it a die has a cutting thread in it and you just 'force' it down so it cuts the new thread.. am I right?? also can I get this from my local tools dealer and what size am I after?

petet16
16-10-10, 09:02 AM
The size is M12x1.5, and a good tool dealer should be able to get one, if you have a Cromwell tool place locally they will certainly have one, it's where I got mine from.

There's a Cromwell in Crawley if that is close to you.

lawrence-zs180
16-10-10, 09:05 AM
mmm will have to have a look.. if not my local place does loads of parts for the stock car and rod teams in the area so they might have one. cheers boys.

stamford
16-10-10, 09:09 AM
So it is one of the wheel studs? If you can, get a hex die nut, that way you can run it down the stud using a socket and ratchet or a T bar. When doing it over the bad section go forward a little then back to drop off any swarf, saves the die from clogging and damaging the thread, a drop of WD40 on the thread will help to lubricate the cutting action. If you buy a standard button die you'll have problems running it down the stud with all the others in situ. I doubt if it really needs a die as a swiss file can normally repair the damage unless you have access to a thread file with the right pitch.

Zippy Saloon
16-10-10, 09:27 AM
I'm guessing worst case scenario is remove disc, smack out old stud and refit new one / scrapyard one by pulling through using wheel nut / spacers?
Assume its wheel stud we are talking about and they fit like every other car I've had?
I'd guess nut that was on that stud is lunched too?

lawrence-zs180
16-10-10, 09:57 AM
im gonna try saving it before trying to remove it me thinks... never removed a stud and dont know anyone who has had to but the old mans done threads before so im gona do that first before I venture into new areas.

peterzs
16-10-10, 04:50 PM
Best of luck, hope it all goes well.

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

lawrence-zs180
16-10-10, 04:58 PM
cheers dude... its gonna be a week wed me thinks.. gives me time to get the tool etc.