PDA

View Full Version : motobuild springs

andys1981
20-10-10, 03:09 PM
http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/96/67260596.html

Smokey
20-10-10, 03:34 PM
Nice one dude, cheers for keeping an eye out!

Although now waiting to get me interior out to decide whether to get motobuild springs next!

andys1981
20-10-10, 03:35 PM
cool nae worries mate

Supercharged_Z
20-10-10, 03:44 PM
Nice one dude, cheers for keeping an eye out!

Although now waiting to get me interior out to decide whether to get motobuild springs next!

i have some for sale ;)

Smokey
20-10-10, 04:50 PM
Motobuild? 30mm? Price including postage? Age/mileage/condition? Pics? Question? Another question? Lol

Supercharged_Z
21-10-10, 04:35 PM
were new a while ago, covered around 400 miles

also with delphi shocks, not sure on the story Boot hill bandit might be able to let you know as i think they may have been new !!

no pics there still on the car, lol. you might have to bear with me which i thought might suit your timescale anyway

Smokey
21-10-10, 05:43 PM
Do motobuild not fit straight onto the standard shocks?
And what's the timescale for removal as I have cash to spend :D

Actually found the original thread of his:

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=10530

Supercharged_Z
21-10-10, 08:02 PM
They do they may even be STD!!! But I remember Jim wanted new shocks

Ravinder_Tomcat220T
21-10-10, 08:04 PM
Where's the pics of the Motobuild springs?
Are we talking about suspension here? Motobuild springs, or Motobodge as they are known as, are original springs that have been cut. I have some which came off the turbo coupe. The springs have been cut down. I wouldn't touch their stuff with a barge pole!

andys1981
22-10-10, 05:45 AM
somebodys edited that first post as i was mk1 straights a put up,hence the photo of the straights!!!

gsinclairzs
22-10-10, 07:48 AM
I ordered motobuilds 30mm for my 120. They sent me honda civic pi springs, so the car sat lower at the front, because of the 16 v. The rear didnt come down at all. After a few phone calls they sent me 2 new springs for the rear, although they messed up and sent me 1 front and 1 rear. I would advise anyone not to buy their 120 springs as you can get exactly the same ones for ?60 on ebay and as said they wont lower the rear.

Ravinder_Tomcat220T
22-10-10, 09:15 AM
I would simply advise nobody to go even near them! Every springs that they introduced for the R8s were all cut springs! Funnily enough, I still have the receipt from when Motobodge supplied and fitted the springs which came on the car when I got it. Can't remember exactly but something like ?200-300 to cut original springs and fit them back on.

lawrence-zs180
22-10-10, 09:19 AM
Are they naff for all the parts because I got a pg1 linkage rebuild kit off them a few months ago when I had gear problems (turned out to be the slave) because if they are I wont bother fitting it.

Ravinder_Tomcat220T
22-10-10, 10:27 AM
Dude, they're pikeys! Just don't go anywhere near them!

petet16
22-10-10, 02:58 PM
Are they naff for all the parts because I got a pg1 linkage rebuild kit off them a few months ago when I had gear problems (turned out to be the slave) because if they are I wont bother fitting it.

As Ravinder says, the R8 springs are all cut standard springs, I have a set for a 180, which are alleged to be Koni, but I reckon they are also cut standard 180 springs.

So, for some things they are pikeys, the PG1 linkage rebuild kit is ok though, I used one and it fitted fine and improved the gearchange 100%.

nath86
22-10-10, 05:26 PM
Am i reading this right??
Motobuild springs are just cut standard springs? (surely thats illegal??). Need to know as im looking at buying some motobuild springs! (surely not)

talkingcars
22-10-10, 06:08 PM
Personally I rate motobuild - like many places they will get their share of bad feedback and although their prices tend to be quite high they are not trying to rip people off, I had an interesting conversation with the owner once on that topic and a former employee.

I would suspect that if Daryl was selling cut springs he would have had them done properly and had them heat treated.

Personally I am happy with every dealing that I have had with them, I once tried buying some wheel nuts from him for my monty estate as I had just got some alloys to replace the steelies and they use different nuts, he told me, rather than spend ?4 a nut how to get them for free, that was a loss of ?64 to him!

coreygraham180
22-10-10, 06:34 PM
Personally I rate motobuild - like many places they will get their share of bad feedback and although their prices tend to be quite high they are not trying to rip people off, I had an interesting conversation with the owner once on that topic and a former employee.

I would suspect that if Daryl was selling cut springs he would have had them done properly and had them heat treated.

Personally I am happy with every dealing that I have had with them, I once tried buying some wheel nuts from him for my monty estate as I had just got some alloys to replace the steelies and they use different nuts, he told me, rather than spend ?4 a nut how to get them for free, that was a loss of ?64 to him!

That's when u know ur speaking to a good garage/supplier

Supercharged_Z
22-10-10, 06:51 PM
motobuild have changed... they no longer convert etc... just parts.
suits them, they have some intresting stuff on their website...

former employees....... yeah ok.. lots of storys to be told...

regardless i 100% doubt they are cut springs!!!!

petet16
22-10-10, 06:59 PM
Well, if the springs I got from them are Konis, I'll eat my intercooler:)

They do however have some decent stuff on their website.

Southside_ZS
22-10-10, 07:03 PM
I used to have a Rover 200 cabriolet that had had the T-16 Turbo conversion. Within the wallet of reciepts i got there was one reciept for Motobuild shocks and springs at some overly inflated price that one of the previous owners had paid.

On inspection they were standard cut springs and the shocks were G-max with Motobuild stickers stuck over the top of the G-max sticker. Didn't bother me as i didn't pay for them but i would of been annoyed if i was the person who did. Motobuild charged about ?150 more on the reciept than G-max sell the shocks for.

stamford
22-10-10, 07:23 PM
I have used them in the past when I had my Vitesse, never had any issues using them.

Ravinder_Tomcat220T
22-10-10, 11:42 PM
motobuild have changed... they no longer convert etc... just parts.
suits them, they have some intresting stuff on their website...

former employees....... yeah ok.. lots of storys to be told...

regardless i 100% doubt they are cut springs!!!!

What do you mean you doubt they are cut springs?!

They ARE cut springs. FACT!

stamford
23-10-10, 09:23 AM
A cut spring does not have a flat last return coil, correctly made lowering springs are made from scratch with top and bottom coils tightly wound and ground flat, a cut spring will not give you a correct seating. The Eibach lowering springs have one coil more than the OE ones. How do you explain that? So they are not cut.

Leigh_EvoIX
23-10-10, 10:01 AM
Cut springs... FLOL.!!!
Lots of hating going on here!!

petet16
23-10-10, 10:18 AM
Eibach springs most definately are NOT cut standard springs.

Motobuild R8 springs however are cut standard springs.

MB have a somewhat chequered history with uprated parts, for instance you can buy the MB uprated T16 mls headgasket for about ?50, or you could go and buy exactly the same gasket from xpart under part number LVB101000 for about ?32, the reason is that they are exactly the same gasket, MB ones even come in the original MGR packaging, so you end up paying a ?18 excess for the privilege of buying from MB.

There is good stuff on the website which is worth buying, but there is other things which aren't so good.

Ritchy
23-10-10, 01:22 PM
eibach springs arent cut, eibach are a very big company and they provide manufacturer lowering kits for ford mazda ect

i think ravinder means the ones for his 220 where cut, as mick said though proper lowering spring will be wound more tightly at one end,

ZS Phil
29-10-10, 10:26 AM
So do the springs which are for sale have a flat on each end, if so they cant be cut and if not they are, simple. Get some pics of the springs up and a price and the issue will be sorted. Bang tidy.

ZS Phil
29-10-10, 10:29 AM
I know its just a generic image off the website but these dont look cut to me, one end is flat and the other end has a tighter coil. http://www.moto-build.com/mainsite/spring_sets.html

Rocket Red
29-10-10, 10:59 AM
Ive never had a problem with them, i bought stuff from them for all of my previous MG/Rover cars and the guy from moto build was always very helpfull.