PDA

View Full Version : theMGZS.co.uk track car rebuild *The Resurrection* ==01/02/11==

Smokey
21-11-10, 08:45 AM
Ok so Jim and Corey came along yesterday and confirmed that the track car engine has seized at the bottom end. Because of this it leaves me with the connundrum of stripping the car and recouping the costs or appealing to you guys offers and trying to get the engine swapped.

Financially, I spent most of my budget on getting the car track ready so all I have spare is the MOT cash I set aside for this month. This I can use towards the rebuild.

I have thought about what costs would be involved and have compiled the details as follows:

A replacement engine will be needed.
Bodies with the experience to do the engine swap.
A location/garage to complete the job.
The appropriate tools.
Vehicle/trailer to get the car to and from location.
MOT completion to drive car back/test drive it.

Now, a Transit van and trailer have been made available by Jim so thats one expense spared.

A central location would be ideal to allow for all talented folk to converge.

The brake disks/pads are fine, as is the exhaust and tyres have 4mm tread. I cant think of any other reason for MOT failure but there is never a guarantee.

What would be in it for donaters?

I can offer the initial plan, which was for paid up members of the site will be able to race the car for a few laps around a local track for an agreed fee (and being sensible!).
Donaters will obviously get priority on size of donation over those who don't donate as a thank you for the investment.
Once the engine is replaced, any spare, working engine parts will be offered for the delivery cost only to donaters.
Once the track days start, I will supply special t-shirts relating to the website and its official track car.

Once the car is running again, I will continue with modifications that I had already planned like induction, exhaust (to compliment decat already on) etc so it will always be improving.

As with any donations there comes a disclaimer. I cannot give an iron clad guarantee that the engine swap will resolve the cars lack of function and there may be something else that is spotted, I do guarantee that I want this site track car to be a phenomenom unlike other sites and if you agree, then donations to get it up and running are the way forward.

Donations

So, if you like the plan, and want to be a part of it all, the paypal donation address is:

heaven_is_a_hash_plant@hotmail.com (very old e-mail lol!)

As Pete pointed out while making his donation:

Go to Send Money, Personal, Gift....this way, paypal wont take a percentage as a fee!!

Cheers Pete!

All donations are voluntary and appreciated. Please remember to put your name in the info box so I can compile a list of donaters. Thanks.

Photo's attatched, taken today in the rain! (stripped out with bucket seats and harnesses)

coreygraham180
21-11-10, 09:04 AM
Sorry mate what is the emai ipad cant get it.....loll

Ritchy
21-11-10, 10:36 AM
shall be going for the ?250 with gearbox then? he needs to know today:)

Smokey
21-11-10, 10:52 AM
Did receive a message from him about it. Does anyone know the car it's coming from's history?
I know the mileage and that it had plenum rattle but I know very little more. Dont want to buy an engine that is going to last 20 minutes then go!

Is there a reason for the eagerness to get it sold today? Why? As I say, it would be bought on donations from the site so I want everyone to be happy and have opinions so we can have a long standing site track car!

lawrence-zs180
21-11-10, 10:59 AM
Im game... shame im about as far away as poss lol.. so heres a start on the engine.

Smokey
21-11-10, 11:10 AM
Im game... shame im about as far away as poss lol.. so heres a start on the engine.

Mate, the plan is for the car to travel the country at various circuits so you will be close to atleast one track!

?80 already been donated!!
Thanks to:

peterzs
lawrence-zs180
:thankyou:

lawrence-zs180
21-11-10, 11:12 AM
only 2 3rds left till you have a engine now.

Ritchy
21-11-10, 11:28 AM
i think another race team is wanting to buy it bud thats why it was today as theyre wanting to buy it:) i dont know, i dont know anything about it regards condition ect, chris is a respected member on xpf though so id think it would be okay, plus a spare gearbox has to be good

lawrence-zs180
21-11-10, 11:35 AM
nice one... Goodwood prob the best for this area, and they do track days for clubs at ?160 ish each with a min of 10 cars.

Smokey
21-11-10, 11:41 AM
Just heard from Chris again and seems like a genuine guy, the engine sounds like a good donor for the car...

and yes, a spare gearbox is always useful!!

Ritchy
21-11-10, 11:45 AM
sure mick will tell you what the site is offering towards it later:)

Smokey
21-11-10, 12:08 PM
Hoping the offer of bodies to fit it come too, should have added beers to the budget lol!

grimmy
21-11-10, 12:30 PM
I will help out mate just me know where and when.

peterzs
21-11-10, 01:38 PM
Think the car looks awesome, much too good to break.

Dont know if its worth getting new oil pipes, never heard of one going before, but if its going to be abused and used might make the other pipe union let go.

As Lawrence says, pity your so far away, but I'm sure there will be a lot of willing guys ready to help.

Think its good of you to put so much time and effort into the car, plus all the OBTCC stuff.

Looking forward to seeing the car when you have it sorted.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::hooray::hooray:

BUCKYDEVIL
21-11-10, 02:14 PM
Can't help financially till 10th December mate..
Sorry....

Ritchy
21-11-10, 02:40 PM
i will come help provided im free, il not be stting in the house doing nothing while your working away lets put it that way

Smokey
21-11-10, 02:41 PM
Any time Markus, still have to organise various things and this won't be done overnight lol

Oil pipe is a definate adition too!

Supercharged_Z
21-11-10, 02:59 PM
you would probably get the oil pipe with the engine

Maxxed_Ross
21-11-10, 03:08 PM
As you know I'm already in financial crisis trying to build my own, so unfortunately I can't donate cash.

If postage is going to be too much for Mick to buy my tyres then you are welcome to have them if you need them.

My offer of use of my van still stands to pick up the engine, and you can use my trailer when ever required. If you do this engine change when I'm onshore then I'll help out best I can

coreygraham180
21-11-10, 03:09 PM
Haven,t managed to speak to transit man yet but got a Volvo v70 with tow bar lined up as stand in if needed........... Jimzs180

coreygraham180
21-11-10, 03:44 PM
There's another donation from me

daytona365
21-11-10, 05:11 PM
Will donate come payday.................Cant see a ZS go to waste.
Im with you in spirit.........:trampoline:

Ritchy
21-11-10, 05:21 PM
selling the old engine?:)

Smokey
21-11-10, 11:06 PM
?150 already been donated!!
Thanks to:

peterzs
lawrence-zs180
coreygraham180+
JIMZS180

stamford
22-11-10, 07:34 AM
You got some more bud ;)

PS from all the site owners.

petet16
22-11-10, 07:48 AM
Have another push in the right direction:smile2: I forgot to add who it was from, so will appear as a random amount:slap:

JIMZS180
22-11-10, 07:59 AM
Transit van now secured......whenever we need it and a further pair of willing hands!!!

Smokey
22-11-10, 10:56 AM
Wow guys I'm very grateful! There is now enough to buy the engine from Chris.

As it is the site track car, would you like the money to be spent on that particular engine or hang fire for one that would come with a guarantee but more expensive?

I believe Chris is a genuine guy but it's for you guys to decide!

petet16
22-11-10, 11:24 AM
Personally I'd be happy to go for the engine Chris is offering, for couple of reasons, it's good value for money, he's been around the forums for a while and I don't think he'd have offered the engine if he had any doubts about its condition.

stamford
22-11-10, 11:34 AM
Personally I'd be happy to go for the engine Chris is offering, for couple of reasons, it's good value for money, he's been around the forums for a while and I don't think he'd have offered the engine if he had any doubts about its condition.

I'd second that. It's a good buy and you have the money to buy it. Anything leftover put it towards oil, filter, OAT etc and anything else to ensure it's tip-top. As for what's left over from the old one keep a hold of it for future use or towards the running pot.

lawrence-zs180
22-11-10, 11:37 AM
yea im game for chris's engine as well...when its in and ok can we have a first fire video?

peterzs
22-11-10, 11:47 AM
I'm happy if you just use mine to buy beers for the guys/girls that help.

Sure there will be a lot of other expenses that crop up, as Stamford says, put it in the repair and maintenance pot.

:super::super:

petet16
22-11-10, 11:48 AM
yea im game for chris's engine as well...when its in and ok can we have a first start video?

Got that for you Lawrence, rather have a first start, not first fire lol

lawrence-zs180
22-11-10, 11:59 AM
lol... whooooooooooops!!!!!! cheers dude haha

Smokey
22-11-10, 12:16 PM
Um, first fire would be baaad lol, but there will be extensive vids/pics of the progress.

And yeah Pete, its not just the cost of the engine but transport/food etc, plus other eventualities that we haven't come across!

And as you say, having a kitty available will keep it running longer too!!

lawrence-zs180
22-11-10, 12:23 PM
kitty sounds good to me... maybe names on the car of the people involved as well.
If you can give as much notice as poss on one of the 'work parties' I might be able to do a road trip up there.. last time I drove up there is was to ski years ago haha.

Smokey
22-11-10, 12:35 PM
am thinking of putting to names of donators on the side skirts as aknowledgement of their efforts.

Have texted Chris to arrange payment.

Smokey
22-11-10, 12:39 PM
DONATOR'S SO FAR

peterzs
lawrence-zs180
coreygraham180+
JIMZS180
petet16
Maxfly
Mick,Craig,Kev and Alan (Site Owners)

rakester
22-11-10, 12:57 PM
I'll sell you a complete v6 lump + box (belts done) around xmas / january time if you want for a decent price.

I ain't donating as 1.I'm a student and 2.Got my own to build lol

Smokey
22-11-10, 02:28 PM
Cheers Rakester, just waiting on Chris responding with his V6 and box (?250) but if it falls through, will keep you in mind.

Reminds me some of the kitty will be needed for new belts/water pump too!

Bobdope2002
22-11-10, 02:30 PM
is theyre a min to donate as i will but wont be till Friday

lawrence-zs180
22-11-10, 02:33 PM
Cheers Rakester, just waiting on Chris responding with his V6 and box (?250) but if it falls through, will keep you in mind.

At least there wont be ?400 worth of labor haha.

stamford
22-11-10, 03:17 PM
is theyre a min to donate as i will but wont be till Friday

No pressure on anyone to donate, it is all voluntary and any amount is gratefully received. :yes:

stamford
22-11-10, 03:19 PM

Suggest this gets done whilst the engine is out. If I were nearer I would gladly help and offer my engine stand etc. Also sure someone on here may offer the use of their timing kit.

Bobdope2002
22-11-10, 03:22 PM
No pressure on anyone to donate, it is all voluntary and any amount is gratefully received. :yes:

i wudnt mind getting a blast around a track in a ZS wud be a reet hoot

Ill donate a bit friday (payday)

stamford
22-11-10, 03:30 PM
Mighty nice of you Tim, post #1 has the email addy for paying into, not the site one.

Smokey
22-11-10, 06:13 PM

Absolutely no pressure guys, this is a voluntary donation.

Haven't heard back from Chris as yet though :(

Also now needing a location and more importantly, the tools to do the job. Anyone have access to a crane/garage/tools?

BUCKYDEVIL
22-11-10, 06:18 PM
HSS crane hire.
http://www.hss.com/g/67715/500kg-Engine-Crane-Folding.html

lawrence-zs180
22-11-10, 06:24 PM
crane.. yea, tools.. yea, location.. cant help you.
The crane is a spare from when me and dad removed the engine out of the Healey for the rebuild a few years back... and its done sod all since haha.

peterzs
22-11-10, 06:26 PM
Don't suppose we could approach Dreadnought and ask them for a corner of their garage. Crane and other bits might be available to hire for a couple of days.

Know when I was staying at Weymess Bay, its not far from Glasgow, (hint hint). Know its bit of a long shot, but if you dont ask_____________. Passed it a few times going to the Trossacks, looked a nice big garage.

Did support Paul Lutti at Brands this year if it helps!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

BUCKYDEVIL
22-11-10, 06:31 PM
Don't suppose we could approach Dreadnought and ask them for a corner of their garage. Crane and other bits might be available to hire for a couple of days.

Know when I was staying at Weymess Bay, its not far from Glasgow, (hint hint). Know its bit of a long shot, but if you dont ask_____________. Passed it a few times going to the Trossacks, looked a nice big garage.

Did support Paul Lutti at Brands this year if it helps!!!!!

That would be a GREAT idea :clap::clap:
And you could offer some free advertising space on the car or something.
Good promo for them.

coreygraham180
22-11-10, 07:20 PM
That would be a GREAT idea :clap::clap:
And you could offer some free advertising space on the car or something.
Good promo for them.

Ace idea mate

ChrisG
22-11-10, 07:47 PM
Alright guys, I took my mobile dongle on site tonight so got access after all, I havent had a message off anyone, have you got my number right? Its 07548976832. This is going to give me great pleasure if you buy it as the guy who rang back about the engine first contacted me about two weeks ago then preceeded to waste my time so I can now tell him to bog off. Like I said in my previous post I have other bits available for which I am more than happy to do a deal on, as for eagerness to get shot, firstly was other people were interested but sick of time wasters, I could do witht he money, and thridly I need the space to get my Mini Cooper sorted and having a large fleet of cars and limited space isnt much help - currently includes a 2002 75 Tourer (for sale only a 1.8 petrol though), a 2004 75 Tourer (the replacement!) a 2004 ZS 180 (already had a replacement engine after the first one seized due to an oil feed block - got that engine in bits), a TF 135, A 3500SE SD1, a Triumph Stag, a Nash Metropolitan and a 1994 220 GSI Turbo that I bought on impulse in August and now realise I dont have time or space for it!

Smokey
22-11-10, 07:55 PM
That may be my error in typing your number
:innocent::whistle::oops:

Well the money is waiting in paypal and there has been mutual agreement from the donators to go ahead so PM me and we will organise payment.

Regarding the Dreadnought idea...fantastic idea, anyone know them well enough to approach and ask?

Oh and Dreadnought is 40 minutes from where the car is!!

Smokey
22-11-10, 08:09 PM
Okay, so now trying to arrange collection of the engine from Chris, am sure someone mentioned organising it?

Chris would like it to be a weekend though, am sure he will post info to arrange it all.....?

peterzs
22-11-10, 08:10 PM
Ritchy's not far from there as well!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Ritchy
22-11-10, 08:20 PM
id love to say use my dads garage but usually ramps are tied up with dead autos and never know whats going to be on the ramps til about 2'o'clock on a friday, and seeing as its not actually my garage not sure id be happy with so many people there, obviosly its not my stuff ect:/

Maxxed_Ross
23-11-10, 07:34 AM
you won't get to use the garage at Dreadnought unless they are working on it due to insurance reasons... that and it's a very busy place

Maxxed_Ross
23-11-10, 07:35 AM
oh and I can get a crane too, my mate has one I've used a few times

peterzs
23-11-10, 08:15 AM
Oh well, worth a try!!!

:wizard::wizard:

Smokey
23-11-10, 09:00 AM
A crane is a start, now belt change tools and location... Plus someone to lead the swap!!

Maxxed_Ross
23-11-10, 12:52 PM
are you still at the same house dude? If my memory is correct you have quite a long drive. I have a gazeebo we could put up over the engine bay if required and we could just do the swap there

Smokey
23-11-10, 02:27 PM
No mate, moved since then and may be moving again soon so will need to see, my current drive is chips so not the best surface but am sure location can be organised if you can bring the crane, who local has done a v6 swap before?

JIMZS180
23-11-10, 03:35 PM
we have the carport available but it is a bit limited for width, you could put the gazebo up at the front of it if necessary, would cut down on travel costs also!!!!

MG6Turbo
23-11-10, 03:52 PM
I might be able to pop up and bring my cam locking kit with me and show you how to remove and install. Will need a few days notice.

G

Maxxed_Ross
23-11-10, 03:53 PM
bring some driveshafts that actually fit my car with you then

Ritchy
23-11-10, 04:34 PM
I might be able to pop up and bring my cam locking kit with me and show you how to remove and install. Will need a few days notice.

G

very good offer

Smokey
23-11-10, 04:50 PM
fantastic offer George, would love you to help out, can even supply you with a bed to kip on!

Transit van Corey has access to is not available until after xmas so now have the connundrum of getting the engine off Chris in Carlisle this weekend?! (Have PM'd Ross)

Luti
23-11-10, 05:02 PM
Would love to help but we are full of projects just now and have no spare ramps available. However! we are here to fix all MGs so please don't forget about us. We don't see any of you at our garage.
Best of luck with you track car!

peterzs
23-11-10, 05:04 PM
I know it will cost, but you can get a company to move engines, Pallet Line, or something, by the time you add up the derv, up and back plus time might be worth having a look. Thats if Chris can get it on a pallet.

http://www.pallex.co.uk/

Have no ides of costs, but looks expensive to me, but maybe worth a call.

Sure I have seen engines delivered by someone else for ?50 + vat I suspect.

peterzs
23-11-10, 05:11 PM
Would love to help but we are full of projects just now and have no spare ramps available. However! we are here to fix all MGs so please don't forget about us. We don't see any of you at our garage.
Best of luck with you track car!

Thanks for getting back. Suspect most of our guys do the work themselves.

Glad your keeping busy, saw you at Brands start of the year.

Think one of the best bits was when Paul tried to drive off without the steering wheel!!!!

All the best for 2011 season.

Smokey
23-11-10, 07:40 PM
Still have the problem of engine collection. Want to do it with minimal cost so as to keep the kitty full for nessessities!

Ritchy
23-11-10, 08:25 PM
as peter says its going to be costly to drive from perth to cumbria and back, talking best part of a tank, which in the pickup is about ?70 or more, stick it on a pallet surely wont be that much, wasnt much for the pallet for the full brm interior for my zr and that was huge, ask stuarty he shipped an engine recently

BUCKYDEVIL
23-11-10, 08:53 PM
Looking at price of engine delivery from Ebay I guess ?50 would cover pallet delivery which as Ritchy said is cheaper than the fuel for collection in a van.

Ritchy
23-11-10, 08:59 PM
think youd need a half pallet need the postcodes but theyre sample one is ?37 on this website and thats literally the first one ive seen on google
http://www.speedshift.co.uk/

peterzs
23-11-10, 09:06 PM
Thats a good deal, also no lifting/bad backs.

Smokey going for any of the panels, the slam panels sounded good, just in case any one had an off!!!!

Ritchy
23-11-10, 09:08 PM
if it wasnt so expensive id happily come with you to get the engine with the pickup but by the time ive drove to perth from clydebank, then perth to cumbria, then cumbria to perth, then back again its going to be soo soo much in diesel, talking like 28-30 mpg, much cheaper pallet:)

edit
worked it out there, 170 miles from perth to cumbria
70 miles from clydebank to cumbria
480 miles round trip
72 litres of diesel lol

Dan1971
23-11-10, 09:24 PM
if it wasnt so expensive id happily come with you to get the engine with the pickup but by the time ive drove to perth from clydebank, then perth to cumbria, then cumbria to perth, then back again its going to be soo soo much in diesel, talking like 28-30 mpg, much cheaper pallet:)

edit
worked it out there, 170 miles from perth to cumbria
70 miles from clydebank to cumbria
480 miles round trip
72 litres of diesel lol

Epic road trip though .....

Ritchy
23-11-10, 09:27 PM
if i had more than ?20 in my bank id love to go lol

Smokey
23-11-10, 09:28 PM
The engine is here : ca2 4ln

400 miles round trip
cost of deisel for that trip?

Ritchy
23-11-10, 09:31 PM
well worked out above mate, at ?1.20 a litre about ?85, do have a pickup its up to you think its a lot of mony mate

Smokey
23-11-10, 09:39 PM
oof!...well Chris doesn't have it on a palette and doesn't want to sell it with delivery company (for securing etc) so would need picked up if I went ahead with it...?

Ritchy
23-11-10, 09:47 PM
can do it but need diesel covered as i have literally no money after my food comes off for the next week, dont think my dad would mind me borrowing as long as it had same amount of diesel in it after

Smokey
23-11-10, 09:53 PM
will put it on the consideration list..... :)

running out of options though...the alternative being await more donations to buy a different (and probably more costly) engine?!

Advice welcome!

Ritchy
23-11-10, 09:56 PM
id try get a wee van tbh mate, id imagine an astra van will get over 50 mpg that pretty much halfs the fuel cost, but can in worst case scenario i would hopefully be able to do it, but i say bear in mind its a big 4x4 2.5 turbo ranger thats 3 ton its not too economical on the juice lol

Smokey
24-11-10, 07:24 AM
Ritchy, how many people does the pick up hold? Would we need equiptment to lift the engine onto the pickup?

And does anyne know when Maxxed Ross is onshore?

stamford
24-11-10, 07:40 AM
Has no-one got a small trailer they can lend? I've moved engines using the fold down crane in the back of the trailer and lifted the engine in and drop the crane in the back.

The pallet option is better but it'll need to be supplied ready to go on a pallet. Which means it'll need to be banded down, wrapped and have hiab or forklift means to load into the truck. Without that it will no be viable due to HSE regs.

If this was nearer to me I would sort this myself.

I'm off to the workshop to ask some questions regarding who we use and what they might suggest, some are a bit flexible.

Phate
24-11-10, 07:53 AM
If this was nearer to me I would sort this myself.

Same here mate, got all the tools to help but it's no where near us!

Maxxed_Ross
24-11-10, 07:58 AM
I'm back on the 2nd of December so can go get it on the 3rd or 4th if that helps?

We don't see any of you at our garage.

I virtually live up there :thumbsup:

stamford
24-11-10, 08:10 AM
Right, I've had a word and we could get someone in to collect the engine and gearbox. They'll palletise and wrap it, collect it from and deliver to, he reckons around ?70. It'll be kept cheaper if it can be slotted in a run somewhere.

I need postcodes 'from' and 'to' in order to get a quote and clarify what's required. The company we use is Andy Crane, they shift alot of equipment around the UK for us, far exceeding the dimensions and weights of the KV6!

Reckon this will be around the 200kg mark if complete engine and gearbox, wet.

Smokey
24-11-10, 08:19 AM
From address ca2 4ln
To address ph2 0rl

?70 is definately doable

chris also is throwing in a tailgate with the price if anyone wants/needs it?

Maxxed_Ross
24-11-10, 08:20 AM
I should be able to do it for less than that, I get 400 miles out of the van and it only costs ?60 to fill it!

Assuming the dates suit everyone of course, if not then ?70 to move an engine is a bit of a bargain

stamford
24-11-10, 08:24 AM
From address ca2 4ln
To address ph2 0rl

?70 is definately doable

chris also is throwing in a tailgate with the price if anyone wants/needs it?

Tailgate won't work as that will mean an oversized load and more than ?70! But okay if it's collected separately.

I'll pass on the postcodes and I'll get back later in the day once I have more information. The only sticking point I can see is making sure people are available at short notice to be there to collect and drop off.

peterzs
24-11-10, 08:39 AM
Would Chris have to drain all fluids, cant see haulage guy happy with 5lts of dirty engine oil and 2 lts of gearbox oil running about on his flat bed.

No one near that could liase with Chris and haulage co.

I know its an extra cost but you can hire trailers, think Stephen could get hold of a Volvo with a tow bar.

Last engine I moved was when I sold my MG Midget 1275, plus all the bits, 2 of you could lift it into a boot!!!

:):):)

stamford
24-11-10, 08:43 AM
It'll only have engine oil, gearbox would be drained if the driveshafts have been removed. Depends on how it's mounted to the pallet, it should be fine if upright and chocked with wood.

Smokey
24-11-10, 08:45 AM
I think Ross and I have got it sorted for dates and equiptment...

peterzs
24-11-10, 08:48 AM
Sounds like a plan. Glad its sorted.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

petet16
24-11-10, 09:08 AM
PG1 box weighs 38 Kg, and iirc the kv6 is 140 Kg, so it's a fair weight to be moving.

stamford
24-11-10, 09:12 AM
PG1 box weighs 38 Kg, and iirc the kv6 is 140 Kg, so it's a fair weight to be moving.

Both dry weights are 36kg for the PG1 and 154kg for the engine.

stamford
24-11-10, 09:12 AM
I think Ross and I have got it sorted for dates and equiptment...

No further need for palletising?

Ritchy
24-11-10, 09:17 AM
Pickup can hold 5 and its a 3 foot lift onto the bed. Think ross van would be a good option :-) but say worst case can help

stamford
24-11-10, 10:41 AM
Andy Crane Transport is a non-starter as their prices go up due to the load being out of their region. Would be cheaper to run a small van there and back. Also it would need to palletised ready and drained of all oil.

Maxxed_Ross
24-11-10, 10:43 AM
I'd like it drained but I don't need to to be on a pallet

Would a tailgate fit inside an Astra van too or will I need to take the trailer?

Maxfly
24-11-10, 10:52 AM
Think you might struggle if it's the hatch tailgate bud, specially wi eninge an gearbox into back:)

Maxxed_Ross
24-11-10, 11:14 AM
yeah it's a hatch back. Might take the trailer anyway just to be safe

Maxfly
24-11-10, 11:22 AM
yeah it's a hatch back. Might take the trailer anyway just to be safe

Reckon that's best bet and also for any dribbles that may come out the box an engine en route instead of landing inside your van :)

Smokey
24-11-10, 11:24 AM
Just so you know Ross, the engine is drained of fluids!

stamford
24-11-10, 12:11 PM
Sounds like everything is falling into place. Got to say I'm impressed with the amount of goodwill and community spirit on here. :group:

Maxxed_Ross
24-11-10, 02:31 PM
the van has a load liner in the back anyway, so dribbles wouldn't be a problem. But as you say getting it on the trailer will be far easier than trying to get it in and out of the van.

You should have seen me trying to get a 2 litre turbo out of the back of the Defender with a fork lift truck haha, I nearly picked the whole thing up!

coreygraham180
24-11-10, 04:15 PM
the van has a load liner in the back anyway, so dribbles wouldn't be a problem. But as you say getting it on the trailer will be far easier than trying to get it in and out of the van.

You should have seen me trying to get a 2 litre turbo out of the back of the Defender with a fork lift truck haha, I nearly picked the whole thing up!

A good laugh just picturing that....lol

Ritchy
24-11-10, 04:39 PM
sure youll manage lifting it, 3 of us lifted the big fully dressed saab engine into the back of a van and that was over 200kg, 3 of you its only 50kilo each to cary which isnt too heavy

btw pic attached of pickup incase its needed as a backup plan to give you idea of size

Smokey
24-11-10, 04:51 PM
sure youll manage lifting it, 3 of us lifted the big fully dressed saab engine into the back of a van and that was over 200kg, 3 of you its only 50kilo each to cary which isnt too heavy

Well Ross has a trailer and crane so should be a breeze to get it lifted and on!

Sounds like everything is falling into place. Got to say I'm impressed with the amount of goodwill and community spirit on here. :group:

Impressed?! This community is by far the most impressive I have ever seen, it's more like family!

Looking forward to arranging phase two (hopefully with help via fonations/labour) to get the belts done and get the swap complete!!

By the way, would it save money to use the 5k miles belts that are on my current engine or is that a no no?

If not, what sort of costs are we likely to need for the belt change if George can supply the tools?

Ritchy
24-11-10, 04:54 PM
belts arent expensive mate talking about ?20-?30 and its not worth risking for that

Smokey
24-11-10, 04:59 PM
I concur lol.... some peeps have mentioned donations when they get paid so hopefully that will cover belts and the food/drinks for those who do the labour side of things.

Seems plenty of folk are keen to get the project completed. I for one can't wait to get it on Knockhill, Silverstone, Rockingham etc with all the site members racing it.

Once it's complete, I wonder how many people will migrate to this site from the others to take part?!

Would also like to take this opportunity once more to thank everyone who donated money, transport, labour and advice so far to get through the first big step of this project. You are all contributing to a bit of history for this site and probably other sites of this type. It also makes me feel that the ?1.2k+ I have spent so far and the hours of work to get this car ready for the site has not gone to waste by selling the car for parts!

peterzs
24-11-10, 05:10 PM
Think we can all :thankyou: Smokey, must be taking all your time, and cash trying to get this off the ground.

clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maxxed_Ross
24-11-10, 05:24 PM
If I were you I'd be swapping the belts for new ones before fitting it. Most of the cost of a belt change is labour time. With the engine out it should be a doddle to do

peterzs
24-11-10, 05:58 PM
Is it worth doing the thermostst at the same time?? Seems another item that tends to go.

Check and replace clutch if worn.????

All so much easier to do with the engine out.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::hooray::hooray:

Murray203ps
24-11-10, 06:42 PM
Hi all. Just want to make sure that i'm sending the money to the right address. It says that Katherine will recieve the money. Is that right. Want to bump up the coffers a little more to ensure some of the overheads are covered.:)

Murray203ps
24-11-10, 07:11 PM
Hi all. Just want to make sure that i'm sending the money to the right address. It says that Katherine will recieve the money. Is that right. Want to bump up the coffers a little more to ensure some of the overheads are covered.:)

Anybody help with the above.:)

peterzs
24-11-10, 07:14 PM
Hi Murray, Yep Kat is part of the Team, I expect everyone else is watching the football. Man U against Rangers!!!

Hope you and the Mrs keeping well.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Murray203ps
24-11-10, 07:31 PM
Hi Murray, Yep Kat is part of the Team, I expect everyone else is watching the football. Man U against Rangers!!!

Hope you and the Mrs keeping well.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, thanks Pete. You too mate. Thanks for the update and will send the money now.

Smokey i hope all goes well with the re-build.:)

Murray203ps
24-11-10, 07:35 PM
Money sent.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Stephen
24-11-10, 08:23 PM
Will donate on payday too. :) Cant come quick enough!

Smokey
24-11-10, 09:42 PM
DONATOR'S SO FAR

peterzs
lawrence-zs180
coreygraham180+
JIMZS180
petet16
Maxfly
stamford,Craig,KevG and Alan.F (Site Owners)
Murray203ps

ChrisG
25-11-10, 09:44 AM
Money received guys...shall look forward to meeting some of you when you come for the engine

Smokey
29-12-10, 12:26 PM
OK so now that the snow has almost gone, thought I would give a wee update.

The engine is here and wrapped up until fitting time. All we need is the right tools for fitting, belts and the tools for changing them and some knowledgable fellows to help with the swap.

Donations will cover belts being bought and food for the workers! :D

Any offers? Skilled labourers are key with V6 background.....

grimmy
29-12-10, 12:33 PM
Maybe not skilled but willing to help as you know mate

JIMZS180
29-12-10, 12:50 PM
Same as Grimmy...just let us know when and where!!

Smokey
30-12-10, 08:03 PM
Had a better look at the engine today and here is a picture....

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/photo-6.jpg

only minor concern (except how bloody greasy/oily it all is underneath!) is the pipe that disconnected on my old one looks like this on my new one:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/photo2.jpg

Ritchy
30-12-10, 08:23 PM
buy a new pipe if possible, looks like it was crushed on removal id say, see if georges offer still stands get him up to help change the belts, if im free il come up with tools ect to give a hand put the engine in, not promising i can come but will if i can

Smokey
30-12-10, 08:25 PM
I think Kev had the tools for the belt change too if I'm not mistaken.

How easy is it to do the swap Ritchy?

Could I transplant one of the pipes from the one working one on my old engine?

Ritchy
30-12-10, 08:39 PM
i dont know never swapped one before, only nuts and bolts though probably just requires a fair bit of watching at all sides as id imagine itd be tight,
jack up wheels off, driveshafts out all pipes off hopefully be able to remove aircon pump tie it up so it doesnt need discharged, support engine, mounts off n just lift it out as one gearbox and engine, im not sure on the pipes as never really worked on one to tell you whether they are worth replacing, if theyre corroded id try buy new ones if theyre available and not too expesive, the moneys there

Supercharged_Z
30-12-10, 08:41 PM
Buy a new pipe

Smokey
30-12-10, 09:22 PM
Best place to buy replacement pipe?

Supercharged_Z
30-12-10, 09:40 PM
Xpart

Spose you Could take the old one of and take it o pirtek

coreygraham180
30-12-10, 10:00 PM
blair the local x part is autoservices in the inveralmond industrail estate FYI

they tend to be quite good (old Work of mine)

peterzs
30-12-10, 10:55 PM
Looks like the srappie did you a good deal, not stripped the engine of all its bits.

Think if you have the money best to replace hoses and pipes if you can.

Can always try the old, "have a space for sponsorship", see if you get a discount.

grimmy
30-12-10, 11:16 PM
That oil pipe must be changed it looks terrible but good to see the rest is intact was surprised to see the plenum on it.

Smokey
31-12-10, 09:42 AM
Yeah, have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it so intact. There is money in the kitty to replace the hose so will probably do that. Needs a good clean though to get rid of all the oil, even the old non running one was cleaner than this one!

Best product for cleaning oil etc?

Ritchy
31-12-10, 09:56 AM
muck off spray or similar engine cleaner degreaser

grimmy
31-12-10, 11:49 AM
Used to use a product called gunk that seemed to be pretty good

Supercharged_Z
31-12-10, 01:19 PM
Always had a good experience with auto Glym machine and engine cleaner in spray bottle

Steves Cleenz
31-12-10, 02:38 PM
Yeah, have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it so intact. There is money in the kitty to replace the hose so will probably do that. Needs a good clean though to get rid of all the oil, even the old non running one was cleaner than this one!

Best product for cleaning oil etc?

depending on how bad the oil is, is it just oil or clumpy black stuff, WD40 works good and also Brake cleaner, send me you addy and i will send you a couple of cans if degreaser that i dont use anymore :)

Smokey
31-01-11, 05:34 PM
Just a quick thanks to Dan1971 for his donation.

I haven't posted the latest updates for the car but there is good reason as there are things afoot that may have the car up and running in the next few weeks.

Until confirmation of this I am tight lipped lol!

On the cost front, as you know, the kitty is now dry, I added ?20 to it for the belts/waterpump. I have now paid a further ?95 which covers new oil pipes (the ones that failed) and oil filter/new oil.

Now my own kitty is getting dry so if anyone is still keen to get involved and be on the 'first dibs' list then let me know.

I am hoping to be planning a track day for March which is only a few weeks away, fingers crossed.

lawrence-zs180
31-01-11, 06:25 PM
I will add some to the kitty on the 18th...
my zed keep spending my spare haha

Ritchy
31-01-11, 06:28 PM
would love to donate unftunatly moneys athe tight and trying to save up to get mine fixed atm

Smokey
01-02-11, 09:28 PM
Ok guys here is the next big update!!

Discussions were afoot after George couldn't do the belt change (due to broken belt shields)

George generously offered to not only complete the belt change at a later date but also liase with Dreadnought garage to borrow their facilities to complete the job.

Brian and Paul Luti have struck up a deal with the fantastic site owners in a way that can best be described as everyone supporting everyone! (Don't get that on every site huh!)

So this combination of teamwork means that if everything goes to plan, the new engine with new belts will be in and I will drive from Dreadnought with a read to race track car!! (Excited much?!?!)

In regard to donations, all are welcome but not demanded so don't worry if you can't chip in, you will still get a chance to drive the beast, might just take a little longer.

I will organise things and make the plan clearer once the car is fully functioning but lets just say you will be paying very little to drive the ZS on track compared to doing the experiences etc. This is not a money making excercise, as long as the costs are covered for track/petrol/wear and tear, then we are sorted.

I have also ordered and expect delivery of in the next few days some new decals.... with the names of all those who have donated so far. These will be placed on the bonnet for all to see as previously photoshopped.

Any questions/help etc, feel free!

I can only repeat though, this would not have happened had it not been for the this site, donators, George, Dreadnought and all the members who supported the cause when I thought it was ddomed to not happen.

CHEERS!

MG6Turbo
01-02-11, 10:09 PM
Glad things got worked out.

Will see you shortly to get the car up to Dreadnought and begin the engine swap and belt change.

Dont forget the bacon rolls this time !

G

Ritchy
01-02-11, 10:35 PM
brilliant!

Smokey
01-02-11, 10:50 PM
Thought it was a full breakfast upgrade for you and Alan? :P

peterzs
02-02-11, 06:50 AM
Great news, and many thanks to George and Dreadnought.

Hope there will be room on the track car, if you want to put some stickers on thanking them!!

Well done Smokey, know its your car but we are all behind you.

Maxxed_Ross
02-02-11, 07:07 AM
Will see you shortly to get the car up to Dreadnought and begin the engine swap and belt change.

you going to bring all my bits up too?

Smokey
02-02-11, 07:17 AM
It's funny Pete, I know it's my car as I have put around ?1200 into it but it also belongs to the site and will hopefully get plenty of use over the next few years on the track. It was always bought for this so glad it's going to happen.

stamford
02-02-11, 07:18 AM
Well it sounds like it is coming together, well done everyone!

Maxfly
02-02-11, 07:31 AM
Nice one, top result there methinks:D What bits are the belt shields? Are they in behind the belt covers and is it a big job to replace them? :)

Smokey
02-02-11, 11:12 AM
It's just the black covers on the belts, they should be swapped with the current intact ones. Quite brittle though so hopefully not an issue.

Luti
02-02-11, 11:12 AM
I will be donating a set of R888's that i've used a couple of times on my ZS.

George, get your finger out and get this engine done quick! the track day/night season is upon us :D

grimmy
02-02-11, 11:55 AM
Awesome news.well done dreadnought and George for offering to help. looking forward to see the car up and running.

peterzs
02-02-11, 12:43 PM
I will be donating a set of R888's that i've used a couple of times on my ZS.

George, get your finger out and get this engine done quick! the track day/night season is upon us :D

Thanks Luti, well scubbed in then.

:beer2::beer2::beer2:

Maxxed_Ross
02-02-11, 05:15 PM
Nah most of Paul's passing was done on the grass lol

peterzs
02-02-11, 05:19 PM
We were in their pit garage at Brands last April, funniest thing was to see Paul trying to drive away for the start without the steering wheel fixed on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smokey
02-02-11, 06:34 PM
Cheers for the tyres Luit! Quick question, are they road leagal? And do you guys do MOT's and if so, when George confirms the date of the engine swap, could it be MOT'd at the same time? Will obviously pay for the MOT myself and would save me going elsewhere?

Ritchy
02-02-11, 06:37 PM
where is dreadnaught garage, wouldnt mind a trip to see the place myself if thats okay with mr Luti?

BUCKYDEVIL
02-02-11, 06:40 PM
where is dreadnaught garage, wouldnt mind a trip to see the place myself if thats okay with mr Luti?

Can't miss it as you go into Calander,
garage is amazing- when I went with Stephen Brian took us out in the mustang ZT.. Couldn't believe our luck.
The garage would be a great place for a meet or just Calander in general, really nice area.

Ritchy
02-02-11, 06:47 PM
ah cool, i think i know where ye ae, in which case not that big a drive for me to get there

peterzs
02-02-11, 06:51 PM
Passed it a few times Ritchy when we went Glasgow to the Trossachs, Callander, just pass the place where Hamish the bull lives

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24353621@N00/362314213/

Was going to pull in and fill up, got a big MG sign by the roadside.

Luti
02-02-11, 07:19 PM
Cheers for the tyres Luit! Quick question, are they road leagal? And do you guys do MOT's and if so, when George confirms the date of the engine swap, could it be MOT'd at the same time? Will obviously pay for the MOT myself and would save me going elsewhere?

Yea, they're road legal.
We don't do MOT's but we can arrange an MOT at a local garage for you. We would need to book it in advance though so a definate date to come with the car would be needed.

Luti
02-02-11, 07:19 PM
We were in their pit garage at Brands last April, funniest thing was to see Paul trying to drive away for the start without the steering wheel fixed on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats an easy mistake to make :)

Luti
02-02-11, 07:24 PM

Your all welcome anytime.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=callander&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=9.583622,28.256836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Callander,+Stirlingshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=56.238422,-4.195436&spn=0.0011,0.003449&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=56.23844,-4.195656&panoid=55bHBLXwnrnla4aBDjs0BQ&cbp=12,54.54,,0,2.48

peterzs
02-02-11, 07:25 PM
Thought your pit garage was very good to put up with half a dozen of us getting in the way, while you were trying to get out on track.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm214/peterzs/2001_0101kyra0015.jpg

All done with good humor and a bit of hair pulling.

Certainly made our day.

mattie007
02-02-11, 10:10 PM
Is that a standard TF hood?
I filled up at the Callendar petrol station about 5 years ago in my little Rover but the Dreadnaught garage was shut :-( Some tasty cars inside though!

Ritchy
02-02-11, 10:14 PM
well i'l gladly come along, i mean il have to tie my hands behind my back as il be interfering with the engine otherwise lo, but would be good to meet smokey, the dreadnaught team and george as well, just put some names to faces

grimmy
02-02-11, 11:14 PM
Can I come sitting at home is getting boring

Smokey
02-02-11, 11:17 PM
Would be great to meet you ritchy and grimmyyou would be welcome. Can make it a mini meet lol!

Maxxed_Ross
03-02-11, 07:13 AM
the roof is a racing version so it clears the roll cage, it's a bit longer at the back

Alan.F
03-02-11, 08:05 AM
Can't miss it as you go into Calander,
garage is amazing- when I went with Stephen Brian took us out in the mustang ZT.. Couldn't believe our luck.

I was lucky enough to get to drive the ZT400 what an awesome bit of kit it is

peterzs
03-02-11, 09:49 AM
Smokey, give me your paypal address and I'll bung ?20 to the fighting fund.

Dont think I had better comment, or it would be like the themgzr lot!!!!!

Thought I'd be reading of good progress being made, not this.

:hang::hang::shoot2:

Maxxed_Ross
03-02-11, 02:39 PM
I will say, that the support for Dreadnought from the MG/Rover forum community does appear to be quite small considering the amount of members the forums attracts.

probably because Scottish members are tempted to travel to the ther end of the country for a timing belt change at a price that could never be realistically mated, or probably repeated :nugget:

Back on topic, Blair remember I have those part worn tyres at the back of my garage that we need to arrange meeting details for. The missus keeps threatening to throw them out but I've so far managed to hold onto them :D

lawrence-zs180
03-02-11, 02:58 PM
If you need any spare parts from a 180 there is one at my local scrap yard but give me a list asap because its being crushed nxt month.. its a saloon btw.
Also not sure if you need it but I have a spare sports backbox if you need it for the car.

BUCKYDEVIL
04-02-11, 01:20 PM
Just donated my weekend beer money..
One sober wkend for a good cause.

Smokey
04-02-11, 01:38 PM
Holy moly, there is a lot of interest in this project! Just noticed there are 2339 views and almost 200 posts!!

And thanks Marcus for the donation.

I am waiting for decals to arrive with all the donators names, so they will be applied when they turn up.

Luti
04-02-11, 05:02 PM
OK Smokey!

I have some bad news!

Your cars coming to Dreadnought and your getting some R888's :gathering:

Don't worry Smokey! There has been a bit of confusion that has all been resolved. Happy times for all!

Ritchy
04-02-11, 05:30 PM
good news:) glad its all sorted

grimmy
04-02-11, 05:37 PM
Brilliant news guys well done

Maxfly
04-02-11, 08:40 PM
Excellent stuff, glad to see things have been sorted oot:) look forward to the end result:D

Smokey
04-02-11, 09:16 PM
Am so glad everything is sorted out for the good! Thanks everyone for malong this work.

Just waiting on George to confirm the date and it will be all go!

And Lawrence, if the back box is available that would be great as it has a sports cat but standard back box so that would be great!

Looks like March might be track day time!!

Ritchy
04-02-11, 09:18 PM
i mght have a se3t of runners soon, needing to replace the 4 tyre on my car soon, theyre still about 3mm pefect for the track, hankook v12 evo's

lawrence-zs180
04-02-11, 11:12 PM
Its free for you and the track beast mate pm me your addy and I will post it to you

Smokey
05-02-11, 03:27 AM
perfect richy, the more tyres the better tbh, am sure you lot wont be gentle on them!!

And will PM you lawrence, cheers!

peterzs
05-02-11, 09:27 AM
Back on track again, keep everything crossed for you Smokey.

:happy2::happy2::happy2:

Ritchy
05-02-11, 09:48 AM
it might be a month or so yet as needing to save for them lol

Smokey
05-02-11, 12:37 PM
That's no bother Ritchy, I have a worn set on, Luti is generously offering another set so just keep a hold of them when you do buy more and that would be great!

On another not, stickers arrived today with the donators names bar the most recent one. If it ever stops raining I will get them on the bonnet!

Smokey
05-02-11, 01:53 PM
Well the rain stopped so this one is for the donators. Will order yours soon Marcus!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/smokeysworld/d67681af.jpg

KevG
05-02-11, 02:15 PM
Very good mate I like that. :)

Dan1971
05-02-11, 02:19 PM
Nice touch having the user names on the car. Thank you.

Smokey
05-02-11, 02:28 PM
You guys are the reason the project is still alive and a couple of weeks from now will be on the move!

Maxxed_Ross
05-02-11, 05:27 PM
so you wanting those Kumos I have dude?

Smokey
05-02-11, 05:47 PM
Almost forgot Ross. Yeah, it's always handy to have tyres kicking about! Cheers.

Maxxed_Ross
05-02-11, 07:00 PM
I'll give you a shout when I get back then pal

coreygraham180
05-02-11, 07:42 PM
Yeeeh the names look superb mate now I'll be known where ever the car goes lol

stamford
08-02-11, 12:23 PM
Great news guys! :D Sorry for the late replying but have no home pc as it is buggered so replying on the works one at present.

Many thanks to Paul Luti for being patient and giving us the opportunity in clearing up any mis-understanding.

Luti
10-02-11, 01:45 PM
Right, Just found a KV6 cylinder head lying in a corner. Don't know anything about it but I'll donate it to the 'Project' as spares.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j370/Lutimetro/100_2687.jpg

Dan1971
10-02-11, 02:18 PM
Nice one .... :)

Smokey, you're gonna need a big garage for all the spares that are building up mate !

Luti
10-02-11, 02:26 PM
Just found a crank too. I've stuck it in the box with the head. :)

lawrence-zs180
10-02-11, 03:02 PM
just seen your pm smokey and I will post the box off to you nxt week mate

peterzs
10-02-11, 04:08 PM
Thanks Paul, soon have enough for a second engine.

:):):):)

KevG
11-02-11, 08:00 AM
I have an OE Cat and Backbox which are available.

Smokey
12-02-11, 10:35 PM
Sorry guys, just moved house a couple of days ago so not read the posts! Am over the moon at the spares everyone. At the moment I'm trying to find a cheap way of getting the engine to the garage in the next couple of days as it is sitting outside the old house and needs to move by 15th or so.

George has let me know that it will be d day very very soon. Have bought a rigid townbar so can transport the car to the new house soon too.

peterzs
13-02-11, 09:10 AM
Bet you have so much on you cant get bored.

Sounds like its all coming together.

:mbounce::mbounce::happy2::happy2:

MG6Turbo
13-02-11, 09:14 AM
Hello

Will be doing this car sometime after the week beginning the 21st. Ive got a lot on this week and the days i had earmarked arent viable now.

I would think it will be the 23rd but will confirm this coming week.

G

peterzs
13-02-11, 09:24 AM
Sounds like Smokey will be pleased to have the time to sort the transport of the engine out.

Plus his move.

:wave::wave::wave:

coreygraham180
13-02-11, 12:46 PM
Hiya people as smokey has no Internet at the moment he has asked me to post if anyone is able to help on the 14, 15, 16, 17, of feb to move the engine with a trailer or van from Perth,dunning to callendar petrol paid???

Maxxed_Ross
28-02-11, 01:41 AM
did this get sorted out then?

I'm back a week on Wed if help is still needed

JIMZS180
13-03-11, 07:54 PM
The car finally makes its way to Smokeys new home:
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/coreygraham180/IMAG0022.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/coreygraham180/IMAG0021.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/coreygraham180/IMAG0018.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/coreygraham180/1298832771887.jpg

peterzs
14-03-11, 08:16 AM
Bet that was exiciting, dont think I would have fancied being in Smokeys car!!!

jamesc777
14-03-11, 11:14 AM
so hows things going with this then, what stage have we got to. always willing to help with my abundence of no knowledge but lots of enthusiasm!!

Smokey
14-03-11, 05:23 PM
We are just awaiting George's recovery (he hopes to be in good health in 1-2 weeks) and then he will be at Dreadnought doing the engine swap. So it will be a close call to be ready for Aprils track night.

lawrence-zs180
14-03-11, 05:42 PM
ballllllls sorry just remembered I was going to send you that back box... totally forgot with the meet ans restaurant stuff happening I will get it off to you this friday.
Glad to see its coming along.

Luti
20-03-11, 04:23 PM
Is it just the engine that needs fitting? Is the rest of the car ready to go? Have you changed the brake fluid to mintex blue?

Alan.F
20-03-11, 06:12 PM
as far as i know Paul its just a case of changing the bits on the engine fitting new belts etc and its good to go apart from the brake fluid, but with George being the way he is atm and with no sign of a quick recovery atm it could be a while till its done. But i still dont mind coming up to assist if people want me too.

Smokey
20-03-11, 08:43 PM
I got a text from George yesterday and he thinks he will be fit to do it in the next couple of weeks. I asked him as I wanted to be sure it would be ready for the Dreadnought night and he said it should be....

Once the engine is swapped I will plan on doing the brakes. Dont really want to spend any more cash on it until it moves of its own accord!

peterzs
21-03-11, 08:36 AM
Keep everything crossed for you

Luti
21-03-11, 11:11 AM
ah right, thats good news. I mention the brake issue because if the fluid boils after its first few laps, that could be the end of the tracknight.

Smokey
21-03-11, 12:06 PM
Yeah I know what you mean Luti, will be coming in for plenty of cooling periods! But yeah, all that needs done is belts changed and engine swapped. George has the replacement oil pipes and new oil to finish the job so hopefully he will be up to par soon.

peterzs
21-03-11, 04:47 PM
Wish George all the best, sounds like he has had a bit of a rough time of it recently, glad he is on the mend.

:wave::wave::wave:

MG6Turbo
21-03-11, 09:36 PM
Sorry for not posting much, but have been quite ill due to a minor heart attack 3 weeks ago.

So just been resting.

I hope to be sorting this within the next 2 weeks so that it can make the Dreadnought track night, as i dont want to let the guys down.

Thanks for the kind comments too !

look forward to seeing peeps at the trackday.

G

Nor
21-03-11, 09:37 PM
All the best George, look after yourself.

Ritchy
21-03-11, 09:52 PM
if im free when the engines going in may take a pop up see whats going on, would be good to put names to faces ect, and see the dreadnaught garage

Smokey
09-04-11, 09:07 PM
Back from my holiday down South and met up with George and Ross at ran Hatch which was great.

Still unsure of timing to get the car fixed, just never seemed to get matching days lol but am hopeful of soon. Sadly cant get 14th off work so wont be able to make the first track night unless the boss is nice :P

Will keep everyone posted though!

grimmy
09-04-11, 09:39 PM
It will get there eventually I am sure mate

BUCKYDEVIL
26-05-11, 05:38 PM
Been a bit of a while since the last update mate, any plans when you can get your project moving ?

Smokey
26-05-11, 05:41 PM
Spoke to George last night actually. He plans on coming through to collect both engine and car, take me and it down to his place where he will do the engine swap for me to drive it home.

Unfortunately dont have a set date as yet but will keep you posted.

BUCKYDEVIL
26-05-11, 05:45 PM
Thats a mighty long round trip, Fingers crossed for you it all goes well and you can get a good road trip home in it.
Will look great coming home on the motorway with the Smokey livery.

Smokey
26-05-11, 07:56 PM
Tell me about it, getting itchy feet and want to get it up and running so I can get it on the track!

I'm actually more excited about watching others race it round the track!

stamford
26-05-11, 08:35 PM
I wondered myself what was occurring.

Captain Peanut
26-05-11, 09:41 PM
Just read through the whole thread and its confirmed my thoughts about this site, that its a collection of bloody nice people and more a family than a forum (gush over!).

TBH I'm a bit gutted that I'm at the other end of the country so can't be involved a bit more, but will put some funds into the kitty tomorrow.

BUCKYDEVIL
26-05-11, 10:01 PM
Just read through the whole thread and its confirmed my thoughts about this site, that its a collection of bloody nice people and more a family than a forum (gush over!).

TBH I'm a bit gutted that I'm at the other end of the country so can't be involved a bit more, but will put some funds into the kitty tomorrow.

Things like this is what makes this forum a very special place
Great you can be involved with a donation Oliver..
I'm sure Blair could put it to good use and every little bit just brings this community a step forward..
Even though you are not in Scotland it is in Blairs intention to have the car travel the country so you never know mate ,, might get lucky.
P.S
I've put thing on disc for you and will post in morning.

Captain Peanut
26-05-11, 10:04 PM
Things like this is what makes this forum a very special place
Great you can be involved with a donation Oliver..
I'm sure Blair could put it to good use and every little bit just brings this community a step forward..
Even though you are not in Scotland it is in Blairs intention to have the car travel the country so you never know mate ,, might get lucky.
P.S
I've put thing on disc for you and will post in morning.

I look forward to it getting the right side of the Watford Gap ;)

Captain Peanut
08-06-11, 02:07 PM
Any more news?

Smokey
08-06-11, 03:31 PM
Have spoken to George who reckons the 18th should be kept free for this so fingers crossed! Oh and just discovered money in paypal. Cheers bud!

Smokey
14-06-11, 03:50 PM
Unfortunately George had had to cancel the 18th due to a bereavement but is hoping to be able to come through next week to do the engine.

Grimmy I know you were planning on popping through so hold off until George let's me know.

grimmy
14-06-11, 08:13 PM
Nae worries matey