PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first mg yesterday

matchcul
22-11-10, 08:03 AM
Here i have my first mg didn't know about getting one as Ive heard they are bad for head gaskets could somone just kind of let me know how bad they are mine has 85000 and as far as i know it hasnt had one but i could be wrong..

grimmy
22-11-10, 08:09 AM
First of all welcome to the site.As for head gaskets it depends whether you have the v6 or not as it is the 4 cylinder engines which have the head problems.the v6 very rarely has head gasket trouble,the more technical minded people will be along soon to fill in the details a bit more I am sure.

Maxfly
22-11-10, 08:10 AM
Looks like a nice zs 120 mate:) Yes the HG can go on them but keep a check on your coolant levels and cooling system e.g. radiator condition, coolant capetc. Regular servicing and don't thrash her till she has warmed up for at least ten mins all can help but not guarantee no HGF:) Great cars though and great value too:)

matchcul
22-11-10, 08:13 AM
Yea its a ZS 120 and i love the car just always going to have the head gasket problem in the back of my head but hey what car dosnt have problems...

stamford
22-11-10, 08:55 AM
:hi: plenty of help out there if you do encounter any problems, just shout.

lawrence-zs180
22-11-10, 09:14 AM
:welcome: to the site dude... Like the guys said keep a eye on things and just give it some general love and you cant go wrong... this is a epic car for the money.

matchcul
22-11-10, 09:27 AM
Chears guys glad to see if i get stuck there is help out there lol

Dan1971
22-11-10, 09:37 AM
Welcome to the site. Have you got any history with the car ? It may well be that you are worried about something that's already been dealt with.

Your car's not a new one pal - and most owners have either looked after their cars so well that it's not been an issue, or had it done and replaced.

matchcul
22-11-10, 09:46 AM
I have no reciept that says its been done but i have a few other receipts but they were from last year and just for tyres and little bits so i don't know guess ive just gota wait and see and treat it nice lol

Dan1971
22-11-10, 10:10 AM
Treat her well - keep on top of things and if you're minded to, you can always put away a little bit to get the uprated head done in the future. Just enjoy it for now. After all - you may not have anything to worry about.

You could always drop the previous owner a letter asking if they had any HG issues or had any work done that's not in your records.

leezs110
22-11-10, 10:52 AM
Welcome to the site mate! :)

Enjoy driving your zed and dont worry too much about the HG, main thing with the K series engine is too keep an eye out on coolent levels, keep her well serviced and she should be sweet for many miles to come! :D

daytona365
22-11-10, 08:45 PM
Welcome to the site, we are all friendly and willing to help:yoji:

Ritchy
22-11-10, 09:25 PM
welcome:)

shcKr-
22-11-10, 09:26 PM
Welcome to the site mate :)
Looks like a nice shiny example :D

I'm also quite fond of those wheels :O

Nats Whiskas
22-11-10, 10:45 PM
Nice ZS man! My first one was blue too. Like most people have said, just keep a eye on the coolant and let it warm up for 15 mins before you drive harshly and the HG will last you for yonks. My first ZS had 150,000 on the clock on the original gasket!!!!

Just dont drive like a *** from cold and she'll be reet :)

Marky Mark
23-11-10, 08:40 AM
Welcome to the site fella :), plenty of friendly peeps on here to help out, I'm new to the 4 cylinder engine too. :hi:

sduk
23-11-10, 12:18 PM
hey welcome to the site! car looks ace! i like the black wheels on it!

hope you like it here and stick around :)

matchcul
23-11-10, 02:50 PM
Chears guys think isle be sticking around with this site all the other ones i tryed before this one were sh** LOL

Bobdope2002
23-11-10, 03:02 PM
Take it from me i used to cane my 120 around everywhere and i loved it to bits and it never let me down not once

Dont worry about the HGF.... if it does go its a DIY job if your handy with a set of spanners and shudnt set ya back no more than around ?100......

This is by far the best MG related site out theyre........ Stay away from .org

Welcome to the site buddy

p_b82
24-11-10, 11:28 AM
:hi:

As said if you keep on top of the minatence the HG should be ok, but if it goes then it is a fiarly easy job to sort out, as long as you do not run the car once it shows signs of overheating....

watch that coolant level more closely than you may have done on pervious cars :)

This is by far the best MG related site out theyre........ Stay away from .org

I know you have Hostory there Tim, but .org does still have some knowlege on there (and people) if you can look beyond the politics etc....

I guess it depends on what parts of the forum you are on, as i have never had any issues withthe Mods in the diesel section (and i dont really go elsewhere either ;))

ian zs180
24-11-10, 09:43 PM
Welcome to the forum nice zs you have there