PDA

View Full Version : You lot are bad luck...

D3monstrate
08-10-07, 08:26 PM
Honestly, all has been going fine since I got the car a couple of months ago, then when I join this site, the next day my car b*****s up!...

Coming back from work Satuday night, had to cross the Forth RB, and with the roadworks that are on there at the moment, I got to the bridge and it took an HOUR to cross it. Must have only travelled about 400 yards in that time. After about 45 mins, the battery light came on, then the ABS and Brake Problem light came on so I knew it wasnt good. Luckily it got me home, all lights still showing. So I left it overnight in hope that everything would be ok in the morning for getting to work...

Nope, the battery was completely dead, so I had to wander around the car looking sad, hoping one of my neighbours would see me and come out and help (this was at 7:30am on Sunday so I wasnt too confident), and someone did. Managed to get it charged up and got to work. Same thing again though when I got there, so I had to leave it. Luckily I work for Arnold Clark Hire Drive so I had another vehicle to get home in.

So today, I refilled the car with electricity and took it into a garage to get looked at. Waiting to hear what could be wrong...

Any ideas whats wrong and how much it would cost would be greatly appreciated.

Also for the folks around the East Neuk of Fife (Leven, Kirkcaldy area), any idea what is the best garage to take MGs to?

Anyway rant over now...

sduk
08-10-07, 08:28 PM
sorry to hear that mate, least someone on here might be able to help :)

if its driveable by Sunday you should come up to Dundee to our site meet and meet us all there :D

Shafz
08-10-07, 08:28 PM
sounds like alternator isnt charging the battery...loose connection maybe?

the abs light still coming on after u charged the battery again?

al_roverMG
08-10-07, 08:42 PM
Sounds to me like it is either a duff battery (the colder weather normally causes them to go if they are weak), a failed alternator or a failed regulator on the alternator.

stamford
08-10-07, 08:46 PM
Also check your engine earth strap and connections, they can be the source of such problems.

D3monstrate
08-10-07, 08:54 PM
Ive been saying it was the alternator cause thats what was happening. And yes, the ABS light did come on when I recharged the battery, but only when the battery light came back on again.

Was constantly at the garage asking what was happening and they said it was the battery, which I think they just said cause they were close to finishing and I was annoying the hell out of them.

grimmy
08-10-07, 09:17 PM
Battery may not be holding a charge or as has been said a knackered alternator

arwilson80
08-10-07, 09:52 PM
I'd say get the altenator check and then the battery. A good garage should be able to take an amp reading of one of the cables.

Battery - about £40.
Altenator - £ no idea... sorry.

RalphG
08-10-07, 10:00 PM
The sequence I would check would be:

Alternator belt
Alternator
Battery
Earth strap
ECU

arwilson80
08-10-07, 10:15 PM
... and 'the oracle' has spoken :)

RalphG
08-10-07, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't describe myself as an oracle (unless its the one from Delphi). But at least you didn't describe me as 'the SQL Server' - I would have taken offence at that! :mbounce:

D3monstrate
09-10-07, 04:39 PM
UPDATE:

Got my car back, they said it was the battery, so theyve changed it and all seems well *touches wood*.

purple_daVe
09-10-07, 10:32 PM
hey,
recently had similar out of blue, first thing i did was have battery checked and confirmed it was dud so parted with some notes, worked a charm for about 4 days then problem returned, had alternator checked fine apparently, poor thing couldnt even cope with being stood in works car park for length of a shift so i was charging 2 batteries evey day one to get me to work one to get me back. Turns out alternator was open circuit so all the electrickery was flowing backwards turning the alternator into a nice little engine bay heater when stood, which is why alternator test showed fine as technically it was charging when running.
obviously hope this isnt your problem and your good to go

KevG
10-10-07, 07:49 AM
First of all get a volt meter on the battery when the car is running, this should show that amount of volts the alternator is giving out should be 14.2volts.

Car Not running

Discharged State:

12.5v

Charged State:

12.7v

Car running (Charging)

Charging

14.2v

Loaded Battery (lights, Rear demister, heater, etc)

12.7volts

Lead acid car batteries are not very good in the cold, the acid tends to get very weak and can freeze giving a poor cell, this causes the cell to die over a short period of time.

Sounds to me that you have a weak battery, it happened to myself last week, managed to catch the car and run, but all the warning lights stayed on!!!!, got a jump from the wifes car and it went no probs.

D3monstrate
10-10-07, 07:59 PM
AHHHHHHHHH!

Went to drive to work today and guess what... completely dead battery!

Once again I had to get one of my neighbours to fill my car with electricity, and I went straight back to the garage and kicked up a bit of crap. The battery light didnt come on when I drove home, and I also managed to start it and drive about for a bit after, so it was over night the charge went missing...

They said they would work on it tomorrow

RalphG
10-10-07, 08:16 PM
One of the reasons that I had ECU on my list is that a fault in the ECU can cause the main relay to be left closed after the car is locked. This will lead to the battery draining overnight.