PDA

View Full Version : Alarm randomly going off....!

rbull51
01-12-10, 02:48 PM
My alarm starts going off for no aparent reason. It usually happens between 30 seconds and a minute after i have locked it. It doesnt happen all the time but has happened quite a lot recently. Has anybody else had this problem?

stamford
01-12-10, 03:00 PM
Is this happening off the hand fob or key lock? If you haven't tried just locking with the key, try it, it'll help to eliminate something. I found that the bonnet latches didn't always catch on both sides of the slam panel. The offside one was sticky which led to the bonnet sensor not closing properly, thus setting the alarm off.

peterzs
01-12-10, 05:34 PM
If its a Mk2 could be soggy sounder, or in this weather icy sounder. Water gets in a shorts the internals of the sounder unit.

Easy fix, take off sounder, split, dry out, reseal.

Knowing that would have saved me ?300 odd.

:mml::mml::mml::mml:

Zippy Saloon
01-12-10, 05:52 PM
My MkI was doing this 2 years ago, found it to be corrosion in PCB of internal sensor.
Some pics here:
http://www.zscentral.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5267&p=82598&hilit=alarm#p82598

Locking with key put me on right track - knew it had to be something to do with movement detectors (locking with key sets alarm but without internal sensors activated, for if you leave animal in car or something)

shiney1235
23-03-11, 10:11 AM
Hi, I have just recently brought a 03 MG ZS, and have found the alarm keeps going off for no reason, have checked the battery and tightened the battery cables. And have also took off the horn so it doesnt make any noise to prevent annoying the neighbours lol.
Other than that im stumped as to what to do.

ZS
23-03-11, 10:48 AM
Hi, I have just recently brought a 03 MG ZS, and have found the alarm keeps going off for no reason, have checked the battery and tightened the battery cables. And have also took off the horn so it doesnt make any noise to prevent annoying the neighbours lol.
Other than that im stumped as to what to do.

Check the bonnet catches first... then lock with key only, this will disable the interior sensors...

If it still goes off after that then there are other places to look :)

shiney1235
23-03-11, 11:10 AM
thanks, well im off to work now so will have look 2moz, but having a brief look the boonet does spring slightly but looks shut if that makes sense, and as im new to mgs were would the catches be?
sorry for being a pain.

ZS
23-03-11, 12:03 PM
thanks, well im off to work now so will have look 2moz, but having a brief look the boonet does spring slightly but looks shut if that makes sense, and as im new to mgs were would the catches be?
sorry for being a pain.

If you look at the underside of the bonnet you will see the "springs" with pins in... these locate into some black plastic holes in the slam panel...

The black plastic things are the things that break and jam open... which causes the bonnet to move (if one has gone but not the other)

shiney1235
24-03-11, 11:41 AM
well the alarm hasnt gone off as i know of. but its done this before, been quiet for a few days then goes off. ive started locking it with the key so maybe a problem on the interior side of things. but either way thanks for the help.

Jem
24-03-11, 12:02 PM
I had this problem vospers said it was to sensitive so they turned it down a bit,Seemed to do the trick well thats what i thought it happened again 6months later first of all they said they was noting wrong with it then they said it was the sensors which got replaced,Not happened since they got replaced.

I found it would go off more when it was hot inside the car.

ZS
24-03-11, 12:07 PM
You are meant to let the dog out of the car when you lock it you know!

Oh and remove the moth (actually this was the reason for my car alarm going off one day!! lol)

shiney1235
24-03-11, 12:26 PM
hmmm....well suppose its worth changing the sensors if the problem actually keeps occuring. is it possible to replace the sensors youself or is it a garage job?

shiney1235
24-03-11, 12:35 PM
remove the moth? were is the moth located exactly lol, im a novice to most electricals.

ZS
24-03-11, 12:36 PM
remove the moth? were is the moth located exactly lol, im a novice to most electricals.

No I meant... I actually had a moth inside my car... and passing headlights made it move and set the alarm off!

shiney1235
24-03-11, 12:38 PM
oh right hahaha, wow mg sensors really are sensitive if the smallest things set it off.

daytona365
24-03-11, 05:42 PM
oh right hahaha, wow mg sensors really are sensitive if the smallest things set it off.

I know, my mates sensors were sensitve to the very small brick and bits of glass that started flying about............Then when he got the key out of the boot he turned them off...........I did chuckle..:slap: