PDA

View Full Version : Battery

daytona365
08-01-11, 06:31 PM
How you sitting in garage, unused, should the battery stay alive?

My ZED been left alone for 8 days and this morning didnt want to start/

Ritchy
08-01-11, 06:44 PM
the car will take a small draw for the alarm, keeping clock memory CD memory ECU memory ect ect, and if the batterys coming to the end of its life then they will generally go flat after a few days or so, obvisly check your boot light isnt staying on ect, you can check for a paracitic draw by disconecting a battery terminal with everything off and the car locked, then link an Ameter in, after a few minutes the draw should be about 0.01A or less, if you have like an amp draw you know somethings staying on.

also check altenator charging at 14.2ish volts as well

didnt you say you work at a ford garage? they will have a Midtronics battery tester and that will tell you the batterys health, best tester out them all is a battery drop tester but not many garages will have one, batterys only tend to last 4 yearish dependant on use and in extreme cold ect they do tend to go, also driving about in winter with all the lights on heater rear window and blowers on does take a fair wack out the battery so it doesnt even get to fully charge itself

daytona365
08-01-11, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the advice. Yes I do work in a Ford garage, but our midtronic tester is broken.
However, we do have loads of batteries lol..........

Ritchy
08-01-11, 07:31 PM
i only paid ?20 for a new 063 battery not long ago, hong kong johnny one right enough but ones done over 2 years now and the other one i put in was fine as well, shall be spending a little extra on the zs one though as its gubbed as well, nice bosch one im thinking

stamford
09-01-11, 10:49 AM
If left for long periods invest in a maintenance mode battery charger. It'll charge and maintain without damage by not over-charging.

daytona365
09-01-11, 11:49 AM
If left for long periods invest in a maintenance mode battery charger. It'll charge and maintain without damage by not over-charging.

Do they do them stand alone, or do they have to be plugged in.
My garage some way away from my flat.

Took my battery out and charged it for a day, good as gold at mo.
Mind you, went for a quick spin and nearly did spin! All the roads are all icy.

Sun is out, but its still below 0!!:cry:

ian zs180
09-01-11, 11:57 AM
I left my zed for 9 days with the last bad snow we had couldnt get out of my road stated first time when i come to start it . And in june last year left it 4 weeks without starting coz i was in plaster and couldnt drive it again started fine when i came to start it . It is garaged so that may help . so maybe it could be your battery coming to the end of its life

daytona365
09-01-11, 04:22 PM
I left my zed for 9 days with the last bad snow we had couldnt get out of my road stated first time when i come to start it . And in june last year left it 4 weeks without starting coz i was in plaster and couldnt drive it again started fine when i came to start it . It is garaged so that may help . so maybe it could be your battery coming to the end of its life

Battery a brand new one............. May have to get alternator output checked.

peterzs
09-01-11, 04:53 PM
Bought a new Exide one, 72 amp hr. lasted 3 weeks before it died, so dont think its not the battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daytona365
09-01-11, 04:55 PM
Bought a new Exide one, 72 amp hr. lasted 3 weeks before it died, so dont think its not the battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember you telling me at the meet................:crazy:

peterzs
09-01-11, 05:13 PM
Son in Law bought one for there Ford Galaxy, ?50 delivered next day, off the net. Same time as I replaced my one.

After a week it was flat, thought the internet company wouldnt be bothered, I took the daughter to the place I got my one from, to check the battery and alternator. After testing the battery it was not holding its volts/amps.

So the son in law got back in touch with the internet co. said it was tested, and found faulty. Gave them the battery place tel number incase they wanted to check.

Had another battery sent off, had it next day, and still have the other one as is wasnt worth collecting.

Thought it was good service, but just shows these new batteries can be shot.

:yikes::yikes:

daytona365
09-01-11, 05:17 PM
Tell me about it.............I do the warranty at my garage, and some of the batteries we put on , the origionals are only a year old!

Ritchy
09-01-11, 05:27 PM
remember new batterys arent always fully charged either

caled
09-01-11, 05:38 PM
Got a maintenance battery charger just before the snow all kicked off.
If you're gonna buy one, then Halfords do them ?20 cheaper online and allow you to reserve instore, cost us ?30 in the end rather than the ?50 they wanted instore.