PDA

View Full Version : My 180.. in for a penny in for a pound!!

lawrence-zs180
17-01-11, 03:05 PM
Right I have decided to make this a project now and get some track time included to now that one of the regulars to the restaurant can hook me up with time on the goodwood circuit :smile1:
Its also to stop me getting to disheartened with the massive list thats forming....

I have been thinking that I could maybe sell this one and get another because in all honesty I have brought a bit of a pup.. annoying!!
But this morning in the pissing rain I decided that with what I have spent etc that would be bloody mad so like the title says.. im in for a penny in for a pound.. or several hundred!

Here she is at the min just after a valet last week.
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb423/lawrence-zs180/2011-01-09112131.jpg
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb423/lawrence-zs180/2011-01-09112155.jpg

Heres a list of the issues but Im sure I have missed stuff...
Sticking rear handbrake mech both sides
'Glazed' Disc and pads o/s front
Full brake fluid change and bleed
Replace Front splitter with modded one
Fix radio and clock issue.. fit new clock.
Replace Back Box after old dear bent it with her car and George mentioned its the wrong length tip.. not saloon or hatch.
Replace alloys because 2 are buckeled..ish
Fit o/s rear bearing kit.
Poss blow in the manifold.
Find where the water is getting in because i came in to this first thing this morning
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb423/lawrence-zs180/2011-01-17081105.jpg

As some of you may have read its got a bit of a past which came about in the short gap in the history. In the gap its had a 'new' engine which was badly fitted and damaged the rad and the belts where not changed on (still had the original Rover ones) so last week George at Rover MG Parts LTD fitted a new set of belts, tensioner, water pump and rad but the problem is I'm left not knowing how old the engine is with the only thought in my mind that noone would fit a older/higher mileage engine.. hopefully! I'm gonna try to see if I can find out about it.
But its had lots of love from me inc oil changes every 5-6k.. think she could do with a fuel filter at some point though.

Most look like 'easy' fixes but as Jamie will tell you she fights all the way all the time.
Once I have sorted that list here's what i want to do.
Fit the Ebach springs I got of Mick
Refit the VIS indicators
Fit a Lightweight flywheel and new Clutch
Get it on the RR and poss remapped
Fit the dvd player and sun visor moniters I have.
Get the front and rear bumper marks painted.
Have a set of straights powder coated black with a brg stripe on them (to much maybe?)
Get the drivers seat sorted.. not to worn but if I leave it its gonna need lots of money.
Full ITG induction... maybe.

This is deff turned into a labor of love now.. first car that I have not just 'cut and run' just dont want to get rid of her.. never know I could be beasting George for another belt change in 90k miles, although she would be at 180k by then :console:

Will keep you guys posted.

fastmike
17-01-11, 03:13 PM
I suggest the missing history and replacement engine should be put behind you .... it,l drive you insane . The belts and engine bolt niggles are sorted now .... the other things are minor... You must have loved it when you bought it ... so now the belts etc are done go and enjoy it knowing its Ok now

stamford
17-01-11, 03:22 PM
Just another typical day of ZS ownership! :D

You'll be fine once you get them jobs ticked off Lawrence.

lawrence-zs180
17-01-11, 03:56 PM
I still love her fastmike... she just gets on my tits at times haha.
Once the problems are sorted then I can get the other bits done.. funds permitting.

gotta lose those red stripes to lol

rakester
17-01-11, 04:08 PM
The V6 is an annoying engine, great when it works but it has a lot of flaws...

- Pleunums break...expensive as only choice atm is to buy a new one
- Vis units break...although usually repairable it's annoying, however if not again expensive.
- The clutch system is crap (ie plastic slave and a bracket made out of cheese)...expensive to replace with OE parts. Hopefully soon with be offering my version of the sheddist kit to people (mine is currently fitted and in testing).
- Thermostats also seem to be a common problem and a stupid design by rover that the whole housing has to be changed...expensive again.

The T16 conversion is so much more appealing to me, and on that note it arrived today:D

Stick at it bud, when its running sweet again you will fall in love with it again :)

Maxfly
17-01-11, 05:16 PM
she will come guid in the end bud and you will enjoy it more as you get her to that point:)

lawrence-zs180
21-01-11, 11:50 AM
Bit of a update..
I have found a slight 'blow' in the manifold but Im hoping its just one of the gaskets giving way after having the belts and rad replaced and all the 'juggery pokery' that went with it. So she it off to have someone look and fix it nxt week.. also I have decided to get someone to do my brakes.. so a rebuild of the fronts and a full bleed of the system which should sort that out, as for the sticking handbrake Im gonna sort that.
Hopefull getting a set of alloys from a guy on here if her ever bloody answers his PM'S lol so that will sort that.

Things seem to be starting to be done... all be it slowly

lawrence-zs180
28-01-11, 02:00 PM
Came in from my 2 days off to find this in my restaurant
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb423/lawrence-zs180/2011-01-28141913.jpg
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb423/lawrence-zs180/2011-01-28141928.jpg
Roll on thursday so I can fit and and get my brakes sorted.

stamford
28-01-11, 02:29 PM
Coming along nicely.

Zed Lee
28-01-11, 07:26 PM
Nice one mate, and that looks like a lot of water lol hope you get it all sorted soon.

peterzs
28-01-11, 07:34 PM
Not yours Lawrence???

:fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

lawrence-zs180
28-01-11, 08:18 PM
yea mine... she is shipping on loads when it rains gotta get it sorted.
Didnt want to get a new back box right now but at ?138 posted for a gen xp box i just couldn't say no lol

Maxfly
28-01-11, 08:36 PM
sweet bud, though doubt you will be able to cook much wi it :D

lawrence-zs180
10-02-11, 12:57 PM
Update...
Had the front brakes skimmed and the whole system blead, my knackered threads done on the n/s/f wheel, back box fitted which set me back another ?179.. bloody vat lol.
Got the alloys off Lee as well and fitted those... I have kept the red round the rim and the coach line on the car and was wondering what you guys think so its had a mega quick bath just to get most of the a24 off it.. let me know your thoughts...
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb423/lawrence-zs180/2011-02-09170917.jpg

stamford
10-02-11, 01:04 PM
Pictures don't do it justice, sets it apart from the norm.

lawrence-zs180
10-02-11, 01:20 PM
cheers mick... bloody dirty again now thanks to the rain lol.
When its clean and I have my camera and not the phone I will get some proper pics done

Maxfly
10-02-11, 01:41 PM
Looking good mate, liking the red trim round the wheels:) Look forward to the better piclets:D

lawrence-zs180
18-02-11, 01:52 PM
Just gave the engine bay a bit of a clean.. but not the outside because of time, you know what its like you start with a little bit and end up spending a hour on it lol
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb423/lawrence-zs180/2011-02-17113723.jpg