PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Master

Nats Whiskas
29-01-11, 02:08 PM
Hey people.

Just fitting a Traffic master clock into the 420 however the plugs are different?!?!

On the current one it looks like a 8 input plug but with 4 wires going into it and on the T.M its just got 4 inputs? Ive been told they would fit so am a little confused!?!?!

What do i need to do to get it too fit?

MG ZS STE
29-01-11, 07:55 PM
dunno, mine was a straight swop. but there was a guy on here tuther week selling a TM for a MK1. i thought they were all the same but maybe not?

Maxfly
29-01-11, 08:00 PM
I think, but not sure that you can chop the 8 pin plug off and fit a 4 pin.....not 100% but sure i seen that somewhere:)

talkingcars
29-01-11, 08:26 PM
A trip to the scrapies may be in order so you can obtain the plug from a later car that fits the clock. once I had that I would see if I can match the wire colours.

Nats Whiskas
29-01-11, 08:51 PM
Right done, cut the wires from the orig plug, got some more wire and soldered it to the clock, then attached the wires together with a block connector.

However now whenever i turn the ignition off then on again it resets to 1:00. I have tried taking the connectors of the battery for 30 mins then reconnecting the battery to the car with no luck, what else can i do???

MG ZS STE
29-01-11, 09:00 PM
check the fuse? sounds like the permanent live for the memory might not be connected properly.

Nats Whiskas
29-01-11, 09:11 PM
Should the clock still display a time even when the ignition is on? If so then ill double check that.

Just trying to find out which fuse is for the clock!!!!

Maxfly
29-01-11, 09:18 PM
The fuse is same the same one as th radio. As Ste says sounds like the perm live isn't right, but on saying that TM clocks are known for being iffy and doing this! Check your wiring first though, with luck it is that:)

MG ZS STE
29-01-11, 09:27 PM
Should the clock still display a time even when the ignition is on?

do you mean off? if you mean off then yep, but without the backlit. may have the permanent and the switch lives the wrong way round.

Nats Whiskas
29-01-11, 09:51 PM
Tried swithing the yellow/red wire and the blue/white cable around but to no prevail :S It just wont display a time then, even with the power on!!

But when i put the blue/white into the Back light socket where the plain red wire goes in, as long as the lights were on the time would display!!

God this is doing me tits in!!

Nats Whiskas
29-01-11, 09:53 PM
Has anyone got a wiring diagram for a 420 by any chance?

MG6Turbo
30-01-11, 09:37 AM
No, but Haynes will !