PDA

View Full Version : This last week is going to be hell

Maxxed_Ross
15-10-07, 09:40 AM
well my car has decided that since I'm getting rid of it on Friday that this last week is going to be total hell

Spent all weekend stripping it down to almost standard.

First I couldn't find the standard wheel nuts... or the centre caps so spent ages looking for them. Then the standard air box wouldn't bolt back on right so que more hours of fiddling around. Eventually got everything else back to normal. Getting the manifold out proved to be a big head ache without a ramp as I couldn't get the car high enough up to drop it out. Get there in the end!

Day two was stripping out all the electrics and ICE. What a drama that turned out to be. Had to take the whole centre of the dash out to get the wiring for my snooper and CD changer out, take the back seats out and all the trim down both sides of the car to get the amp wiring out and then try and put it all back in.

Now this is the funny part. I was over at KevG's as he was giving me a hand to do all this (huuuuuuuuge thanks to Kev for all the hard work, I couldn't have done it without you!) and to get the engine management light turned off.

So we put in a cheap HU and take my fancy one out... and it won't work. Then the clock starts fading and the boot open light starts pulsing on and off.... and the engine light goes out on it's own!!! Very weird. Eventually get the sterio working so pack up and then lock the car... when the horn goes off like it does when a door isn't shut right. All doors checked and all is ok... then the boot popper refuses to work unless the car is locked and all the doors are shut!!! To top it all the boot open light comes on when you open any of the doors and the clock goes off. Very very very weird. But then the sterio started working!

Eventually we decided just to rip the HU out and leave it out but it was still being weird. Traced it back to a fuse that had blown under the dash so I think we must have gotten the power wires mixed up.

It all seems to be working fine now but I'm left with no tunes for my drive down to Manchester :console:

And the icing on the cake? Booked it in for it's 2nd service before it goes at...... wait for it........ £180!!!!!!!!!! And that's discounted from the £240 it should be because I know some people at the garage

Good grief

arwilson80
15-10-07, 09:56 AM
So 'all-in-all' it was a good weekend then? :)

Keep you chin up - the ZS will bring a nice smile back to your face.

Maxxed_Ross
15-10-07, 09:59 AM
its all part of the fun

stamford
15-10-07, 12:39 PM
And then you've got the same in reverse :laugh:

If that were me I would be scared sh1tless about taken the car out anywhere before d-day................paranoia sets in :huh:

Maxxed_Ross
15-10-07, 01:52 PM
yeah the thought has been at the back of my mind the last few days... I'm being uber careful

Leasky
15-10-07, 03:57 PM
think of the new car the greif will go away lol

sduk
15-10-07, 04:01 PM
nice one Ross, was gnna suggest a dud fuse as thats what happened to me on my ZR when i blew one, all the boot and horn etc went mental :D

looking forward to seeing the new car and keeping you on the site with us :D

Sammy

grimmy
15-10-07, 04:57 PM
Never mind Ross it will be so worth it when you get the new motor and it will all be a distant memory

Craig
15-10-07, 05:53 PM
it will be worth it in the end mate. Believe me, when you drive the 180 you wont miss the zr in any way.

KevG
15-10-07, 06:04 PM
Yup, your car doesn't want you to leave it in Surrey matey.

finchy
15-10-07, 08:12 PM
is the zs in manchester?

Maxxed_Ross
16-10-07, 01:01 PM
no it's from a place in Surrey, but I'm driving to Manchester to do the swap there

The pain keeps on coming, had to replace the sump seal, front pads and a full fluid change for this service, and additional £115 in labour alone! And one of the exhaust welds decided it was going to fail on me so now the service report says the exhaust is blown!

Took it to Sounds of Silence (the place that made it) and guy fixed it in 2 seconds..... aaaaaaaaaaagh!

stamford
16-10-07, 01:14 PM
:laugh: your'e sounding a tad stressed!

Maxxed_Ross
16-10-07, 02:57 PM
just a little

Maxxed_Ross
17-10-07, 04:40 PM
holey moley, it keeps getting worse!

The car is now almost totally standard. I got the CD changer and other wiring out at last, plugged all the wee holes I had drilled to fit things and took most of the decals off.

Now to plug these holes I had to go up to Maplin at the retail park, so jumped in the car and off I went. I must have been away 20 mins. Got back in, fired her... revs shot up as they normally do then started to drop to idle... but then kept going until it just died.

Weird I thought so started it again, only for it to kick over and refuse to even attempt to start.

Left it 5 mins and it started - so I booted it a few times and that seemed to sort it and it idled quite happily just below 1k.

Started off home - now between my house and the retail is a dead straight road apart from 5 sets of lights and 3 roundabouts - and half way home sitting at the lights it did it again!!!!

Again first try nothing, let it sit until the light went green then kicked it over and then booted it as it started. Thankfully it did because that is a hell of a junction.

Was fine the rest of the way back and has been since. Very weird

stamford
17-10-07, 06:07 PM
It's upset...............it knows :devil:

arwilson80
17-10-07, 07:13 PM
You are probably right Stamford... :p

Maxxed_Ross
17-10-07, 11:46 PM
it's in a huff with me I think

stamford
18-10-07, 07:23 AM
S'funny how some cars tend to do that when they are going to be sold, it's as if they know what is happening and are having a tiff with the owner before hand.

Maxxed_Ross
19-10-07, 08:22 PM
well that's it gone, it was very weird watching my car drive off...

But it left a nice V6 beast in it's place!

HUGE kudos to Kev for coming down to see it with me and keeping me sane on the long trip. I owe you big time.

Try not to get too plastered on cider tonight lol

shroonie29
19-10-07, 08:37 PM
Thats one hell of a week mate!
How does the new beast feel so far?

Shroon

Southern Storm
19-10-07, 10:02 PM
Weird watching your motor drive off. Very sorry to see it go. However the V6 soon leaves that memory for dust, (Just like corsas) Enjoy!

grimmy
20-10-07, 09:59 AM
get some piccies on

Maxxed_Ross
20-10-07, 10:26 PM
well I've had it a full day now, and had to fill it twice...ouch!

Drive up was a total joy, it's so easy to drive and just goes in any gear. Had some fun with tail gaters on the way up lol

I'm well on the way to getting the little niggles sorted out. Had a day at the local scrap yards with Kev today sourcing some goodies for it - mainly rear electric windows, sound deadening for under the dash and the new rear spats to replace my cracked one.

Next on the hit list are fitting my HID's from the ZR, wiring in the Snooper properly and sourcing some bonnet carpet since mine seems to be missing. A few scratches and scuffs to sort out but I'll try and blitz them tomorrow when I give it a proper clean.

I can't stop smiling when I drive it. It's sooooo much fun!

Craig
20-10-07, 10:28 PM
nice one Ross!

Craig
20-10-07, 10:30 PM
btw, did you see any 180s at the scrappies?

grimmy
20-10-07, 11:29 PM
Still no effing pics come on Ross get with the programme

Maxxed_Ross
20-10-07, 11:37 PM
btw, did you see any 180s at the scrappies?

no they were both 110 or 120 I think, the one I pinched bits off was missing the engine but didn't have air con, so I'm guessing it wasn't a 180

why, what you after?

Still no effing pics come on Ross get with the programme

I've not got any yet! The big clean up starts tomorrow so will get pics up asap!

grimmy
20-10-07, 11:39 PM
Booo Booo
get a crap one on we wanna seee

Maxxed_Ross
20-10-07, 11:40 PM
hang on I need to find the cable for my phone then

Nightfire
21-10-07, 10:32 AM
What's wrong with this picture?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/maxxed_ross/ZS/DSC00050.jpg

RalphG