PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Studs

Bobdope2002
30-01-11, 04:53 PM
Im such a **** for doing this and i cannot believe ive done it just after some oppinions

I change dover everything on this car and then forgot to tighten a wheel up and drove on it not far at all and the wheel was wobbling like feck im told

We tryed tighten the nuts up and now the wheel will not sit flush with the hub

im sure ive bent a wheel stud

do u guys recon the same??

And Can you Direct Me To A link where to get some new ones from

Bob

Ritchy
30-01-11, 05:07 PM
jack it up, remove the wheel and refit it, it might not tighten up right if its sitting on the ground slack

Bobdope2002
30-01-11, 05:12 PM
jack it up, remove the wheel and refit it, it might not tighten up right if its sitting on the ground slack

we did that mate

tryed two wheels just incase id damaged a wheel or something but both were the same

Im Totally Pissed of with myself over it but its just the luck i get ya know

MG6Turbo
30-01-11, 05:25 PM
Do you ever think Tim that you and spanners and tools just dont mix !

Is it front or rear?

G

Ritchy
30-01-11, 05:27 PM
btw if it is a rear stud could just put a new hub on , about a 5 minute job providing the drum comes off without a fight

Bobdope2002
30-01-11, 05:30 PM
Do you ever think Tim that you and spanners and tools just dont mix !

Is it front or rear?

G

rear right george

MG6Turbo
30-01-11, 05:37 PM
Bring it over bud lets look.

G

Bobdope2002
30-01-11, 05:39 PM
is it safe to drive???

MG6Turbo
30-01-11, 05:43 PM
hmm.. dont know.. I would drive it just down the rd as im in uttoxeter. up to you. im not around till tuesday though.

G

Bobdope2002
30-01-11, 05:46 PM
what as in a new unit in uttoxeter or living in uttoxeter

Ritchy
30-01-11, 05:55 PM
if it goes on a bit then more than likely the stud isnt bent, well easy way to check is hold the wheel at the end of the studs so its just sitting on them all, then look see if ones out of line from the rest, although i doubt just one stud will be bent, said more than likely corrosion build up on the wheel, give it a good clean round the hub and inside of the wheel spigot bit of grease on it and try again, will more than likely pull itself back anyway if your tightening it up as the wheel as a whole will be a lot more solid than the stud, just tighten it up evenly i.e. opposites so your tightening 1, 3, 2, 4 then go back to one and recheck it

peterzs
30-01-11, 06:10 PM
Dont worry Tim. I bought new alloys for the wife's Punto. Nothing to it, jack it up, swop wheels, I thought something was odd as it took me ages to get them to fit and tighten up.

Got them on and looked good, wife went off down the road and I thought how good they looked. Just as she went left at the bottom of the hill, I heard a thunkkkkkkkkkkk.

5 mins later had a phone call, she had pulled off the main road and stopped down a side road, funny noise.

Anyway turns out the center hole changed on the newer Puntos, we had 59, new ones are 57, why they have to change things. Back on steels with the attractive plastic trims. Got two sets of alloys to sell back on ebay!!!!

:beer2::beer2::beer2:

Bobdope2002
30-01-11, 06:19 PM
all my mechanic friends are pointing towards the hub

Any idea on a price for a new one or could somebody point me in the right direction on ebay for one

cheers

Ritchy
30-01-11, 06:29 PM
hub is about ?40-50 iirc, not had to change remove caliper, carrier, disc, hub nut cover, then its a 30 or 32mm undo, pull off, new one fitted tighten rebuild, probably take you about an hour if you havent done one before
or if its drum brakes whell off, 2 screw out knock the drum at the edge with a hammer, pull drum off, undo nut and replace hub as said about 5 minutes to do if you know what your doing

but as i said clean up the wheel and spigot first before condemming the hub might need a quick clean and youd be laughing, mind you really need to see these things to judge!

KevG
30-01-11, 06:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-MG-ZR-ZS-REAR-HUB-BEARING-ASSEMBLY-DISC-MODELS-/250215127601?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a41fbda31

Bobdope2002
30-01-11, 06:41 PM
wud u say 90% Hub mate

Dan1971
30-01-11, 06:48 PM
Did you swap the nuts over when you swapped the wheels ? It might just be that the nuts are wrong ? Done that once ..... :wall:

Bobdope2002
30-01-11, 07:31 PM
Did you swap the nuts over when you swapped the wheels ? It might just be that the nuts are wrong ? Done that once ..... :wall:

yeh we did ahh lol

im gonna go see a mate get it looked at and sorted

just one of those noobish mistakes

Bobdope2002
31-01-11, 05:20 PM
Update::

Car is Fixed

Hub was fine brakes are fine

Didnt notice that the chap had left a sprigot ring from his alloys on

need to contact the chap ASAP to tell him about it

probs unsafe driving about in it