PDA

View Full Version : The Long Term

Scarab
05-02-11, 03:17 PM
Guys n Gals,

I'm in a bit of a pickle, I dearly love my ZS and will never, ever sell it, I'll be more than happy to be one of those sad old men with the same car they bought when they were 20, just hiding in the garage for the weekends.

My problem is I'm doing a huge load of miles at the moment, swapped from a MkI Hatch 5 months ago and my car had 54,000 on the clock, now its at 72,375 and the mileage I do isn't going down.

I don't physically have the space for another vehicle, so I'm just bracing myself to "Zero time" the ZS next winter, buying the parts over the course of the year to spread the cost.

Its the 1.8 120+ so am I better off bunging in a refurbed engine, new shocks, pumps and filters etc, or do I go for one of PTP's VOHD 190's which they say is a direct replacement? The other alternative is a T16 conversion, or, dare I say it, switch the car to a non MGR driveline which might have more parts available for longer - but I'd hate to do anything so vulgar.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts on keeping their car going, even when still racking up the miles?

It's keeping me awake at night

Alex

ramdonice
05-02-11, 03:20 PM
personally i would rent a garage out near your home and keep the zs for the weekends and have a cheap diesel for the week

i'm lucky i push bike to work so the 180 only gets used for the school run and shopping during the week

Scarab
05-02-11, 03:27 PM
personally i would rent a garage out near your home and keep the zs for the weekends and have a cheap diesel for the week

I'd love to but its not really an option for me :(