PDA

View Full Version : discs and pads change time

andyhog
17-02-11, 01:10 PM
hi all gona change my discs and pads in the next couple of weeks can anyone tell do the piston just push back or are they the wind back type piston ( ie do i need a tool )

cheers Andy

Maxfly
17-02-11, 01:15 PM
rears are wind back, fronts push back. You can manage the rears without a tool as they need little if any presure to wind back in, a lrage flat blade screwydriver usually works a treat:)

peterzs
17-02-11, 01:16 PM
Think fronts are push back, but backs are wind back.

Got a wind back tool off Amazone, ?5.00 odd delivered.

:beer2::beer2:

andyhog
22-02-11, 08:12 PM
cheers guys , i have a tool from when i did my vr6 golf ones so may fit the zed , thanks for the info

caled
22-02-11, 09:30 PM
How much does it cost in parts to do the front brake pads?
The garage mentioned I should be thinking about new pads in the near future.

peterzs
23-02-11, 08:27 AM
Bought my pads spme time ago, ?20 -?30 or so, cant remember exact price.

Nationwide MOT'd it and said they were low, quoted ?160 odd to replace.

Local Motorsports garage said about an hour with my pads ?45 + vat

caled
23-02-11, 08:36 AM
Aye, I got quoted ~?90 from national garages. I might take it to a smaller place, see what they quote.
I wouldnt mind doing it myself, but being the brakes Id rather not learn how to do it by trial and error.

stamford
23-02-11, 09:35 AM
?90! Do it yourself! Or get a competent friend to assist and learn as it is being done.

Last weekend I stripped both rear calipers as one was sticking, cleaned guides, copaslipped the lot, cleaned the calipers, fitted new discs and pads in less than a hour.

caled
23-02-11, 11:11 AM
?90! Do it yourself! Or get a competent friend to assist and learn as it is being done.

Last weekend I stripped both rear calipers as one was sticking, cleaned guides, copaslipped the lot, cleaned the calipers, fitted new discs and pads in less than a hour.

That'll be the issue (err.. the competence, not the friends)

talkingcars
23-02-11, 12:01 PM
Front pads are very easy to change.

If you are concerned contact a local mobile mechanic and see if they will be able to come to you if you get stuck.

Or there must be forum members near you who'd come and give you a hand for a cup of tea.

peterzs
23-02-11, 06:05 PM
Just booked mine in for tomorrow, was going to do them, but the weather forecast looks wet and cold. As it would be outside cant be bothered.

That what happens when you lose the use of a fully fitted out workshop.

Other thing, the fun declines in direct relationship to the years!!!

Had an advisory on both front and rear pads wearing thin and as we are chasing up and down the M3 dont want the dreaded squeal of metal on metal. Also want them bedded in for the George & Dragon meet.

:wave::wave::wave: