PDA

View Full Version : newbie hello!

zsdave
21-02-11, 12:23 PM
hi all from a newbie! i've a mg zs+115TD silver with only 45,000miles so far its been a decent motor, it has a few probs which i put down to bad build quality at the end of production of rovers, i also have a 1993 rover 414si which haas a genuine 7300miles & one previous owner, tthis seems to be bulit far better than the mgzs but the zs has something about it!

i'll post up a few of my probs on mine i need to sort in the apprpriate section cheers all, i'm off to look at other ppls mg's :OP

stamford
21-02-11, 12:26 PM
:hi: to the site Dave, get some pics up of the other one too!

peterzs
21-02-11, 12:32 PM
Hi Dave great choice of ZS, :hi:

Post away and we will try and help, my ones a derv and I love it.

:yes::yes::yes:

lawrence-zs180
21-02-11, 01:11 PM
Hi and welcome Dave, I know your pain with the zed but driving them makes it all seem to go away don't it haha

Nor
21-02-11, 01:25 PM
:hi:

zsdave
21-02-11, 01:40 PM
mine has a couple of probs, well one is'nt a prob its just the iskes n pas are ue changing all around
i've been looking for a set of drilled disks & pads as a combo offer!
i think the mk2 zstd has vented disks all around does'nt it?

the probs mine has is the turbo seems to have a oil leak :O( i think the leak is coming from the compresser housing which is a bit of a sod!
the ther prob is a slightly weeping pipe from the power steering fluid resovoir, but thats an easy fix-going to just get some silicone pipe to replace the knackered one on it!
oh & the exhaust has a very very slight blow that needs investigating!

it has a few strange scweaks & the odd rattle but my intension is to fix the probs & bring it up to as good standard car then try to get more power out of it

maybe de-bage it, or at least remve the badge's that are just stick on ones!

they seem a good car but the fixtures & fittings seem like they were fitted in a rush-does anyone else think that!

they are a great car on the motorway though! & on long swooping bends, its a drivers car for sure! seems like the mg/rover were trying to convey the driving experiance & skimped the interiour!

once the weather warms up i'll work on it most weekends & do some pics

my rover 414 is going for MOT this week, i have it lowered ALOT! & on stock 14" steelies! & a self made stainless exhaust from the manifold back, its a bog stock 16v 1.4 spi engine
it may get a t16turbo with a t28 & front mount intercooler motor in it i have all the bits but time to get the swap done!!!

any advice on where to get bits for my mgzstd+ & where to get work don in or nr coventry would be great! i'll do brakes etc myself but timing belts/headgaskets i'll leave to the pro's
all advise really appreciated!

i'll try to sort pics asap-just gotta get a phone cable!

Maxfly
21-02-11, 06:12 PM
hi and welcome:)

marts66
21-02-11, 07:07 PM
greetings

Dan1971
21-02-11, 07:22 PM
:wave: Welcome

kkman
21-02-11, 09:22 PM
welcome to this great site

magpie67
21-02-11, 09:29 PM
welcome:smile2:

haGGard
21-02-11, 09:50 PM
welcome. Im interested in seeing pics of your rover too!

zsdave
21-02-11, 10:05 PM
tis a good forum i have been avin a gander lol
cheers for the welcomes all :O)

peterzs
21-02-11, 11:13 PM
Vented front disks, solid rear. My rear o/s caliper siezed on and destroyed the disk, seems that its a common problem and the sliders rust/size up.

Its worth checking all the metal pipes that run across the engine and back on the near side as they are known to rust.

I've put the boost up a bit, remap, BMC panel filter, Powerflow s/s from cat back, decatted, mafam fitted. And now 134 bhp, but by fitting SDi injectors you can get 145.9 bhp, so I now have a set of them to try out.

My turbo pipe popped off, as it does pick up a bit of oil, but yours sounds worse than that.

They do go well, and dosnt have to cost the earth.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

zsdave
22-02-11, 04:08 PM
the alarm issiue on mine has been sorted today & i had a full diagnostic done on the engine/electrics & its come up with no faults which is reassuring!!!

peterzs or anyone else that knows for that matter whats the disk diameter on the front & rear as i'm having trouble ordering some drilled/grooved disks n pads!!!

at least i know know my motor has solid disks on the back & vented front, moving forwards,
i'll fit slightly uprated pads (mintex or somat) but not any of the EBC/track inspired stuff as on the road, road pads will bite better than the other type of pads when the the car/brakes are cold whereas the track/fastroads pads need to warm a little!

i'll have to get a chance to whip the turbo off & check the pipes as petezs says above,if the turbo needs seals i believe there is a place in birmingham that does a re-build & re-balance's the turbo for about ?150/?200ish

on the plus side my dailydriver k reg rover 414 passed her MOT test today, so it'll be lowered tomorow & given a check over, chuffed!

peterzs
22-02-11, 06:03 PM
Glad the 414 got through. just been looking at Haynes and it is not very clear on the derv disks, would hate to give you the wrong size.

Hope someone will come along who knows the size.

Hope its a simple fix on the turbo, doesnt sound a bad price for a rebuild.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

just found these on ebay, gives front disk size

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-MG-ZS-TD-2-0-Turbo-Diesel-01-Front-Brake-Discs-/280525019979?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4150981b4b

and rear

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-MG-ZR-ZS-REAR-BRAKE-DISCS-PADS-239MM-/170392877055?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27ac34f7ff

but best to measure yours or ring and give your reg No. I,ve got a feeling I had 2 sets delivered before I got the right fronts and the rears were done at Nationwide.

zsdave
22-02-11, 07:11 PM
the haynes is where i got confused zspete! thats the haynes manual for ya though :O)

i'll get some pics up asap

talkingcars
22-02-11, 10:38 PM
Hi and welcome.

I would avoid drilled disks, they are prone to cracking, groved are noisy.