PDA

View Full Version : Should I fit a breather with the BMC-CDA induction

kkman
26-02-11, 03:05 AM
I know the BMC CDA induction and know how to fit.

but what's the breather for

http://www.regals-motorsport.co.uk/images/Image_1346-500.jpg

where and how to fit it

what size to buy and any accessories need to purchase together? silicon hose? what's the size again?

Cheers

Kai

Maxxed_Ross
26-02-11, 03:09 AM
on the standard intake the idle air (I think that's what it is anyway) comes off the main pipe just before the throttle body. If you fit an aftermarket system this intake needs it's own small filter

A bit like what I did on mine

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/maxxed_ross/ZS/DSC00413.jpg

kkman
26-02-11, 03:22 AM
on the standard intake the idle air (I think that's what it is anyway) comes off the main pipe just before the throttle body. If you fit an aftermarket system this intake needs it's own small filter

A bit like what I did on mine

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/maxxed_ross/ZS/DSC00413.jpg

a nice done job there, any specific information?

size of this breather, think it is called breather, size of silcon hose and the caliper?

many thanks

Kai

Maxxed_Ross
26-02-11, 03:58 AM
I honestly can't remember.

I bought the whole thing from Andrew Morrison when he swapped the KV6 for a Judd in his race ZR. It all bolted straight on.

The only bit I had to buy was the breather, and I bought it from Halfords. As you said it's just called a breather filter

talkingcars
26-02-11, 07:04 AM
If the BMC was fitted properly (and I expect it was) then this will have been covered in one way or another, post a picture and we will tell you.

The best solution is to take a feed from the main inlet as per the O/E set up.

talkingcars
26-02-11, 07:12 AM
Having seen the picture of your engine bay on the other thread it looks like you have the original air filter set up, IMHO the best solution is to have a similar small pipe coming off th larger one rather than having a seperate small filter as Ross has (and I do).

Drawing air through the small filter may give a false reading to the ECU as it is sucking hot air and the main filter is sucking cold air.

ZS
26-02-11, 08:53 AM
Having seen the picture of your engine bay on the other thread it looks like you have the original air filter set up, IMHO the best solution is to have a similar small pipe coming off th larger one rather than having a seperate small filter as Ross has (and I do).

Drawing air through the small filter may give a false reading to the ECU as it is sucking hot air and the main filter is sucking cold air.

In my case the smaller filter caused starting issues and economy issues... routed it through the bmc and all good now :)

I'll post up pics... but not exactly pretty :p

ZS
26-02-11, 09:38 AM
As promised... Its only a stop gap until I get hold of an ITG style pipe...

If anyone knows where to get one from?

talkingcars
26-02-11, 12:26 PM
Get a 70mm (IIRC) dump valve Tee peice with a 25mm spiggot, short 70mm pipe, 19mm to 25mm reducing elbow with long legs and a 70mm to 90mm reducing elbow.

My memory says 76mm but my records say 70mm.

kkman
26-02-11, 01:07 PM
who knows where to fit this ??

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&c=BMCFILTERSACCESS&p=ACCSPV10070&part=01p_5_BMC_Air_Filters_Accessories_Red_Metal_C onnector_Sleeve_Length_100mm_Diameter_70mm

The BMC website says this should be bought with BMC CDA induction kit for ZS 180.

see this :
http://www.bmcairfilter.com/search_a.aspx?marca=44&lng=11

cheers

Kai

ZS
26-02-11, 02:52 PM
If you look at the picture I posted up you can see that that bit of pipe is used to connect the OE piping to the Elbow (BMC) piping...

Kai, honestly, I'd live with the car as is for a month or so before you start modifying it... I mean you're used to the 120 and the 180 is quite a bit more power as is... But at the end of the day up to you!

Maxxed_Ross
26-02-11, 07:11 PM

worked fine on mine for over a year :whistle:

kkman
26-02-11, 07:28 PM

i deff will work fine on mine!!!:shoot:

ZS
27-02-11, 07:06 AM

Mine did too... then started having issues... :)

Maxfly
27-02-11, 08:04 AM
Mine did too... then started having issues... :)

Wonder why?? Was the filter for the idle maybe clogged up? I know the wee ane i had on the black zed got dirty fairly quickly but never had any running problems:)

ZS
27-02-11, 08:14 AM
Wonder why?? Was the filter for the idle maybe clogged up? I know the wee ane i had on the black zed got dirty fairly quickly but never had any running problems:)

was a halfrauds special... probablt more to do with that... lol

Maxxed_Ross
27-02-11, 05:30 PM
Mine was a Pipercross and seemed ok, the guy that bought the whole set up off me hasn't had any problems since either

kkman
27-02-11, 09:30 PM

ZS
28-02-11, 07:27 AM
Mine was a Pipercross and seemed ok, the guy that bought the whole set up off me hasn't had any problems since either

Strange... maybe the filter I had fitted was either faulty or blocked or something... certainly wasn't doing its jobs correctly by the sounds of it!

stamford
28-02-11, 12:51 PM
My BMC CDA and breather have been fitted for around 5 years now with no issues. I have also had it remapped with this fitted with no ill effects. Pipe size iirc is 19mm bore. My IACV was playing up on Friday, just needed stripping, cleaning and re-assembling carefully as the rpm was hunting, all's good now.