PDA

View Full Version : Fitting BMC into MK2 zs180, radiator destroyed

kkman
02-03-11, 01:40 AM
The radiator is set further back in a mk2 ZS180,therefore fitting a BMC can be a bit of a squeeze. it is rubbing against the radiator then causing a leak.

Does anyone here has a MK2 ZS180 and get a BMC induction fitted?

can u please give me some idea about how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Kai

ZS
02-03-11, 06:47 AM
AFAIK The radiator in the MK1 and MK2 ZS180's are identical and in the same place! it was only a face lift after all!

Maxfly
02-03-11, 07:09 AM
AFAIK The radiator in the MK1 and MK2 ZS180's are identical and in the same place! it was only a face lift after all!

^^ This:)

Kai, have a look in my pics thread and you should see a couple of my bmc fitted:)

Jay-ZS+
02-03-11, 07:11 AM
I suggest you just take it to a garage to do the lot, ;)

Never thought it could be so complicated to fit a couple of hoses!!

stamford
02-03-11, 07:14 AM
It is only a pain in the ar$e if it is not executed properly. It needs to be installed using the right pipes and length from throttle body to drop is key, it is not rocket science. Like I said mine's been in for some 5 years with no issues. MK1 and MK2 180's are identical under the bonnet.

ZS
02-03-11, 07:27 AM
If your hose is too long then they are easy to cut down (I had to on mine... but I'm using non standard silicone hoses) - But only do this if you are sure you need to!

Personally After fitting the BMC to the blue car and the ITG to the Yellow car I would go for the ITG every time, looks so much better under the bonnet and is soo much less hassle than the BMC :D

Although the ITG did give me some ideas about fitting the BMC... so next time the bumper is off I'm going to have a look at re mounting the filter I think :)

kkman
02-03-11, 08:47 AM
If your hose is too long then they are easy to cut down (I had to on mine... but I'm using non standard silicone hoses) - But only do this if you are sure you need to!

Personally After fitting the BMC to the blue car and the ITG to the Yellow car I would go for the ITG every time, looks so much better under the bonnet and is soo much less hassle than the BMC :D

Although the ITG did give me some ideas about fitting the BMC... so next time the bumper is off I'm going to have a look at re mounting the filter I think :)

I'm sure I need to cut the hose, and I'm sure I saw several old threads from MG-ROVER and XPF which claim that it's more difficult to fit a Bmc into MK2 than MK1, as they are different.

ZS
02-03-11, 08:51 AM
it's more difficult to fit a Bmc into MK2 than MK1, as they are different.

MG's Rave, My Local MGR Dealer and everyone else on this forum all dissagree with that... the MK1 is the same as the MK2 under the bonnet (Indeed I have a MK1 with MK2 bumper etc... if they were different then some of the parts I have used would not work on my car!)

Huffy
02-03-11, 09:00 AM
this might seem like a daft question?

Is this same BMC one you took off your old Z'd 120?

kkman
02-03-11, 09:04 AM
this might seem like a daft question?

Is this same BMC one you took off your old Z'd 120?

it is...it is designed for 180 but I fitted it in 120.

kkman
02-03-11, 02:14 PM
It is only a pain in the ar$e if it is not executed properly. It needs to be installed using the right pipes and length from throttle body to drop is key, it is not rocket science. Like I said mine's been in for some 5 years with no issues. MK1 and MK2 180's are identical under the bonnet.

Personally, I think MK1 and MK2 may be different. Searching on google and XPF,Found several cases. As I never had a MK1, so not quite sure.

This man sold the BMC-CDA induction kit due to......

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=46884

Anyway, I think It can be fitted if u customize it, eg: triming the silicon hose?

Hope this help if people who own a MK2 considering buying a BMC CDA induction.

Jay-ZS+
02-03-11, 02:34 PM
Pretty sure engine bay there is no difference between mk1 and mk2 loads of people have bmc kits on a mk2

Maxfly
02-03-11, 03:43 PM
I have fitted my current mk2 with a bmc as well as the previous black mk2 i had, clearance was not an issue on either.
Do trial fits using just the filter and silicone elbow, get it sitting so it will not foul anything by either trimming the elbow with a sharp instrument or adjusting the position of the elbow on the throttle body, ensuring you still get a good seal all round, when you are happy with this bring in the metal bracket supplied and fix to slam panel and filter

SticklesMickles
02-03-11, 05:37 PM
I am assuming the rad brackets are different between mk1/mk2 as i had to cut my mk1 brackets down a bit to get the mk2 headlights to fit properly when i fitted the mk2 front end?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Sticky/Stuff%20for%20forums/a9b7c773.jpg

If the brackets are different then i would assume its possible the rad may sit in a slightly different place, but i doubt it moves by much.

LozMachine
02-03-11, 05:47 PM
That the aircon rad bracket? Radiator brackets are under the slam panel i think

Zed Lee
02-03-11, 07:24 PM
Mine is a mk2 and had no problems had it off and on a couple of times now.

ZS
02-03-11, 07:29 PM
I fitted the MK2 lights with no issues at all! no brackets cut and fully reversable should I want to!

stamford
02-03-11, 07:33 PM
Post #14 is that a 120? Doesn't look like a 180 rad.

Ritchy
02-03-11, 07:42 PM
theyre mechanically the same, it looked liek youd fitted the induction kit onto the original airbox pipe not the throttle body in another thread, hence how its too close n wrecked your radiator

kkman
02-03-11, 08:32 PM
cheers guy, be grateful

will find a performance garage to get these accessories and di it by myself again

Kai

ZS
03-03-11, 07:00 AM
theyre mechanically the same, it looked liek youd fitted the induction kit onto the original airbox pipe not the throttle body in another thread, hence how its too close n wrecked your radiator

Not like how I've done it?

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb329/Kai_Chen/induction/bmc.jpg

Or how BMC themselves designed it to be? (Official BMC photo)

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb329/Kai_Chen/induction/32C-MG_ZS_180.jpg

midcuk
03-03-11, 07:43 AM
i know a good little indipendant local garage, does all my stuff for beer tokens (i.e very cheap). Also very good as well, they do a lot ofd the taxi's around newcastle.

its called collingwood and is in dunston

Ritchy
03-03-11, 07:53 AM
sam that looks fine, was just going off the ones id seen with the extra breather on it:)

Jay-ZS+
03-03-11, 08:00 AM
Pm car13 he can get hold of the itg hosing which looks better and will save you hassle fitting ;)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/jayhowl/Forum%20stuff/IMGP1240.jpg

Maxfly
03-03-11, 10:33 AM
here is where mine sits using the silicone elbow supplied with the kit from regal motorsport
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/Maxfly/ZS%20180/e02a1f4d.jpg