PDA

View Full Version : 180 Belts: This might sound stupid

haGGard
02-03-11, 09:21 PM
Now this might sound like a very, silly question... but due to the fact of how much it actually costs to get the belts on a 180 done, coupled with the fact that a mk1 180 sells for peanuts (if that!) Do you guys recon its worth actually getting my belts done?

Might sound stupid, but theres mint mk1's all over ebay (and even in the for sale section here) that are priced below 1000 pounds! Due to the cost of fuel/tax/insurance these cars are unfortunatley not worth a lot. Would it be worth running the car untill the belts finally let go, then just getting another one?? Then i could just break the car and get another 180 as they're so cheap?

Sounds rediculous, but does anyone see what i mean? I could just fork out the money for a belt change, but is it really worth it these days? Tell me if im talking rubbish! :fun:

grimmy
02-03-11, 09:30 PM
Now this might sound like a very, silly question... but due to the fact of how much it actually costs to get the belts on a 180 done, coupled with the fact that a mk1 180 sells for peanuts (if that!) Do you guys recon its worth actually getting my belts done?

Might sound stupid, but theres mint mk1's all over ebay (and even in the for sale section here) that are priced below 1000 pounds! Due to the cost of fuel/tax/insurance these cars are unfortunatley not worth a lot. Would it be worth running the car untill the belts finally let go, then just getting another one?? Then i could just break the car and get another 180 as they're so cheap?

Sounds rediculous, but does anyone see what i mean? I could just fork out the money for a belt change, but is it really worth it these days? Tell me if im talking rubbish! :fun:
i have been thinking the same thing my belts were due in November but do not have the money to get them done i kinda feel it would be easier and cheaper to replace the engine if it goes and do the belts before a replacement went in. so the gamble goes on

Craig
02-03-11, 09:38 PM
Totally get what your saying mate. I spent 600 quid getting the belts done on my old one and looking back it was a waste of money. If I had kept the car longer then fair enough. Unfortunately mk1 180s are not worth much more than that at the moment and thats a sad statement!

big_wasa
02-03-11, 09:42 PM
I have also thought the same. The only pos for spending the cash is I wouldnt want the belts going with the familly in the car on say the M25.

My other problem is my car is going to need new calipers,discs, pads all round. A full exhaust and cats.

And my belts are unknown, well its been stamped in the service book but no reciepts to back it up.

I recon thats ?2k and wont add a penny to the value of the car. Sell it for scrap and keep the work money and its the price of a good mk2

ian zs180
02-03-11, 10:23 PM
mine was due in september its now on 62000 mile but the 6 years are up but i,ve gotta say its always in the back of my mind what if .As soon as i get the money together though i,m getting them done its just to much hassle having the car of the road if they go and who,s to say the engine you buy to replace the one thats in isnt rubbish at least you know with your own engine . Hopefully will have the funds to get them done in may sometime

idge2003
02-03-11, 10:54 PM
I know for certain that if mine needed doing they wouldn't be getting done not on a car worth maybe ?800-1000 I'd just take the risk! After all there's no telling if the belts go a year or even a month after having them done anyway!

Brett

haGGard
02-03-11, 11:23 PM
who,s to say the engine you buy to replace the one thats in isnt rubbish at least you know with your own engine .

I do agree with that. Not just the engine, if the cars 100% mechanically fine, then i probably would get the belts done.

Lots of differing answers, but lots of answers saying they wouldn't bother, which is not what i expected to be honest, but at the same time, kind of reassuring as it makes me feel like im in the same boat with you.

stamford
03-03-11, 07:11 AM
I will admit to pushing mine well over the 6 year limit due to costs. I was going to get them done as I intended to keep the zed anyway. When the time came for the belts to be changed they were well past their best. I fully understand the dilemma and if you are not attached to any particular 180 then yes, I would probably do the same.

midcuk
03-03-11, 07:45 AM
i am thinking exactly the same, do i waste any more money on the zed or just run it in to the ground literaly and scrap if/when the belts do go

lawrence-zs180
03-03-11, 08:21 AM
mine where done a few months ago but the engine had been changed and its a 01 engine on its first belts so they have got to be nearly 10 years old!

peterzs
03-03-11, 09:22 AM
I can see the benefits of running the car into the ground, then selling the bits off.

Trouble is, if every one starts doing it, we will run out of ZS's and the ones that are left will start going up in price.

I always get too attached to cars and would feel like I'd shot it, if the belts went and I could have fitted replacements.

Pity we cant do a group buy of replacement 180 belts, tensioners and waterpumps, incl gaskets etc. Then get a few quotes in different areas, so at least we knew what the firm costs would be. Or an all in fixed price.

Reading different posts, prices vary a lot, but I'm sure that if the work was guaranteed and to a good standard there would be a few takers.

Cars are getting older and miles/years means that most should be done, or have been done.

You know your car, fitted the mods you want and got the bodywork looking good.

Dont know if George would be interested in giving us a price. Down south, Stamford had his belts done by a mobile mechanic, he did say that he wouldnt do another, but he might have forgot the pain and be happy to give us a price, or not!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

nick_1973
03-03-11, 09:34 AM
I'm another with the same dilema, no idea if the belts have been sorted or not. Cars an '03 with 70k so they are due but as i only paid ?1k for it, do i pay out half the cars value for the piece of mind.........

Its like the lottery, if you've been playing the same numbers for ever then forget one week, you can bet your bottom dollar that you'll miss out on a jackpot. Its called sod's law!

If you have to rely on your car every day then i would suggest getting them done. If you can go with out a car for a while and have a recovery service (AA, RAC etc.....) then take the chance.

ZS
03-03-11, 09:48 AM
Only cost me ?300 odd quid to get my Belts done... if I had the tools I'd have done them myself... at 180,000 miles I might be tempted to do them myself anyway... - Depends if I can get hold of a set of the tools for cheap!

idge2003
03-03-11, 09:58 AM
Trouble is, if every one starts doing it, we will run out of ZS's and the ones that are left will start going up in price.

Well I can't see this happen if petrol prices get to the reported ?1.60 a litre by year end!

Brett

Mr ZS180
03-03-11, 10:36 AM
mine where done a few months ago but the engine had been changed and its a 01 engine on its first belts so they have got to be nearly 10 years old!

Same as. I bought mine last April and got the belts done in August as the car had no history with it. In my opinion it is worth it if you plan to keep the car or give it hard driving and as Ian says at least you know with your own engine.

Im not even planning to keep my engine in the car as I want to drop something else in it but I plan on a few trackdays this year and definitely do not want a belt give as Im going round paddock hill bend!!

Mr ZS180
03-03-11, 10:38 AM
Well I can't see this happen if petrol prices get to the reported ?1.60 a litre by year end!

Brett

?1.38 for V-power here already. Absolutely ridiculous!!

midcuk
03-03-11, 10:51 AM
I can see the benefits of running the car into the ground, then selling the bits off.

I always get too attached to cars and would feel like I'd shot it, if the belts went and I could have fitted replacements.
:

i have always been the same but recently i am starting to see the zed as a money pit as we are being priced off the road, deffo have a love hate relationship with it !.

Yampiedog
03-03-11, 12:05 PM
My belts are due too and I can't justify that amount of money so I have come to the conclusion that I will drive it until it breaks. Then probably either consider a replacement engine or break the car.

peterzs
03-03-11, 02:04 PM
Unless you go for a chain drive, all motors have to have the belts done. Some models, like the derv, come out cheaper, but I bet its only a few quid difference if you go for another V6.

You could go for a 4 pot but you V6 guys would miss the rush!!!

Like everything in life, got to pay for the fun somewhere, and life is too short not to have fun!!

:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Mr ZS180
03-03-11, 02:54 PM
This is another reason Im planning on the T16 conversion as well. So easy to do the belt on that engine!

ZS
03-03-11, 02:58 PM
This is another reason Im planning on the T16 conversion as well. So easy to do the belt on that engine!

Maybe thats the option then...

Wait till the KV6 goes bang then stick in a T16 :D

mgzsturbo2008
03-03-11, 03:00 PM
If i had the tools i would charge you guys ?150 +bits

Bobdope2002
03-03-11, 03:16 PM
think its just scaremongering quite a few mk2's aint even got past 50k miles yet so cant see why theyd need doing

same with my old 180 i had no intentions of doing the belts because i wasnt prepared to waste ?600 on dare i say it a fancy Rover with a bodykit on (Runs For The hills And Awaits Rocks To Be Hurled)

i think the 180 will become very rare and people who own them will be proper enthusiats with very deep pockets

My 1.6 as much as i like it i cant see me owning it for very long i want a change to something else

Yampiedog
03-03-11, 03:18 PM

Funnily enough that is what this thread had got me thinking too...

SticklesMickles
03-03-11, 04:01 PM
Never changed mine, never intended to either to be honest.

Its a 53 plate Cat C car with 57k on the clocks, it is worth nothing.

I intend to use the ?500 belt change money to buy a nicer mk2 as the car i have now i consider a bit of a dog (its not that bad tbh but this is my first ever none show and shine car, so its a dog imo)

Nor
03-03-11, 04:02 PM
It's a difficult expense to justify.

Mr ZS180
03-03-11, 05:09 PM

My plan exactly

You can get a running 620ti and a dead 45 gsi for about the same cost as the belts change and that's job done, all parts included, plus money back from breaking and selling spares

talkingcars
03-03-11, 05:50 PM
I had my belts done as part of the deal when I bought mine 3 years ago so I've another 20k or 3 years to go by which time the car will be 13 years old. I guess if I still have it and I plan to I will proberbly do them myself.

In the mean time I have a spare T16 in the garage.

petet16
03-03-11, 06:02 PM
Mine are due now, and due to the cost I'm planning to do them myself, I'm under no time pressure to get the job finished which will allow me to spread the job out if needs be.

T16 belt is a very easy change, it doesn't require a new tensioner, or water pump, or any special tools, apart from a 6mm drill to lock the flywheel:smile2:

Maxfly
03-03-11, 06:49 PM
I got mine done on the black one at probably less than half the price i will end up paying for getting the green one done later this year but personally i would rather pay out the wad of money on a car i own and know than run it into the ground and have to buy something else that has the unknown about it and that could easy swallow up the cost of a belt change getting it the way i want it:)

daytona365
03-03-11, 06:56 PM
All this talk of running them into the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ZS is a future classic. Theya r worht the expense. I am saddened that you are discussing just waiting for the belts to go and just buy another one. Why not save money and dont bother servicing it either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ZS180 is going to cost me money and be worthless for ages, but I will keep him until I die........maybe when Im 70 and he a valuable classic, there will be people thinking " why did I treat my ZS so bad"

big_wasa
03-03-11, 07:02 PM
Mine was just the thought, ive started collecting the bits for when it gets a bit warmer. Just picked up both "mg part" cats. Bought it a new upper manifold last year and the big spoiler.

Ive just done the rear brakes and calipers on my mates zs tonight as he was going to scrap it due to the dealer price.

I just need to find a cheap kv6 timming kit and I will have a go at that myself.

angry_muppet
03-03-11, 09:07 PM
I've just got the belts done on mine. Cost ?275 for the kit and pump, another ?275 for the labour. Haven't driven it with the new belts though. :)

Mr ZS180
04-03-11, 07:47 AM
My belts were done as part of the 90k service so i had belts, water pump, stat, plugs and gearbox oil changed as well as new reluctor rings and disks fitted for around ?800 and I was quite happy with that!

andyhog
04-03-11, 04:57 PM
i think you have to think whats the car worth to you and not the book , as if you use it to go to work ect and belts go then its a major headache , were as having the belts done is peace of mind , personally i would rather keep the car than give it away just because of book prices and at least you know your car , my belts have just been done cost me best part ?500 but i love the car , really fancy a mk2 180 now but again going on book price ect it may not happen , good question though

Mr ZS180
04-03-11, 06:26 PM
I threw ?1000s at my old coop turbo and people kept saying to me 'why coz its just a Rover?'.....

Because its MY Rover!!! was the answer. As Andyhog says book price is irrelevant. Its what it is worth to you that matters, and if the car is worth a lot to you, ie you could keep it for a very long time, then the belts are definitely worth doing.

Id chop my gf in before the car, so its worth it to me, hence the reason it was one of the first things I had done on mine!!

F3NMG
05-03-11, 09:02 AM
Similar problem you get with vvc coops. You can buy a replacement car with head gasket upgrade for the kind of money wanted by garages to repair hgf. However, you just don't know what else you might have to fork out for when buying a car of that age.