PDA

View Full Version : with my mate's help, radiator replaced, coolant leaks again

kkman
04-03-11, 09:39 PM
Bought a used radiator and fan pack off ebay---http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-2-5-V6-180-AIRCON-RADIATOR-AND-FAN-PACK-/370486327351?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5642b4b837

a very nice ebay shop, quick delivery, response and very well packaged.

went to my mate's garage.

we did the job by ourself, spent 4 hours, took off the front bumper then the radiator, gave the used radiator a good clean then fit it on.(hard work for us....)

However, coolant leaks again after 15min driving.

Will take it to a radiator service center tmra, let them recondition my original radiator. That's 260 quid again! Hope it works.

BTW, didn't use the BMC cda when I was testing the car.

Cheers

Kai

Maxfly
04-03-11, 09:41 PM
is it the rad that is leaking mate or is it from somewhere else? Did you double check that all the hoses your reconnected are done up correctly?:)

stamford
04-03-11, 09:43 PM
Must have run over a few black cats by the sounds of it!

kkman
04-03-11, 09:45 PM
is it the rad that is leaking mate or is it from somewhere else? Did you double check that all the hoses your reconnected are done up correctly?:)

we checked it after we finished the work, everything is correct, no complex work involved. already took the car to two rad service center yesterday, all said rad leaks.

stamford
04-03-11, 09:46 PM
Shame, just one of those things mate, could happen to anyone.

pheelay
04-03-11, 10:20 PM
Does that mean you were sold/sent a leaky radiator?

Hope you manage to get it fixed soon kkman. Sounds like fitting the air filter is turning into a right pain in the arse!

kkman
04-03-11, 10:27 PM
Does that mean you were sold/sent a leaky radiator?

Hope you manage to get it fixed soon kkman. Sounds like fitting the air filter is turning into a right pain in the arse!

not sure about the radiator, as I think the seller is genuine.

yeah, the induction kit..anyway this is due to my poor knowledge of car.

So, I have to pay for learning.

cheers

kkman
04-03-11, 10:59 PM
just found it is the problem of the water radiator which is behind the ac radiator.

seller will post the water radiator to me next Monday.

Think it will solve the leaking problem

Cheers

Kai

Ritchy
04-03-11, 11:03 PM
so you replaced the aircon radiator?

DeMoNPauL
04-03-11, 11:03 PM
You have replaced the Aircon radiator.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-2-5-V6-180-AIRCON-RADIATOR-AND-FAN-PACK-/370486327351?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item5642b4b837

You need to replace the main radiator.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-2-5-V6-180-RADIATOR-/370482317296?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56427787f0

Or you could try getting it repaired.

Ritchy
04-03-11, 11:09 PM
did you degas the radiator yourself? the gas is poisenous and by law you arent allowed to handle it unless you have an aircon licence, need an aircon machine to vac the system prior to removal and regas afterwards or your aircon wont work anymore

kkman
04-03-11, 11:33 PM
so you replaced the aircon radiator?

yes...I did......pain in the arse

kkman
04-03-11, 11:37 PM
did you degas the radiator yourself? the gas is poisenous and by law you arent allowed to handle it unless you have an aircon licence, need an aircon machine to vac the system prior to removal and regas afterwards or your aircon wont work anymore

yes, now I know what happend today, it 's called degas...and I actually like the smell....

so, wherer and how can I regas it ( radiator service center???).....will this cost a lot...

Cheers

Kai

Ritchy
04-03-11, 11:46 PM
kwik fit ?39 iirc

kkman
04-03-11, 11:50 PM
kwik fit ?39 iirc

I messed up again....without the mechanic in the garage..

Ritchy
04-03-11, 11:55 PM
as i said the gas is poisenios and damaging to the enviroment, before you remove any aircon pipes you need to connect up the machine, vacumm the system out so its just air in it, then you can disconnect pipes, heard of people giving themselfs frostbite removing aircon pipes without degassing

kkman
05-03-11, 12:03 AM
as i said the gas is poisenios and damaging to the enviroment, before you remove any aircon pipes you need to connect up the machine, vacumm the system out so its just air in it, then you can disconnect pipes, heard of people giving themselfs frostbite removing aircon pipes without degassing

Cheers mate

will fix this problem on Monday.

Maxxed_Ross
05-03-11, 01:54 AM
I watched a mechanic try and take out an air-con radiator without de-gassing it all forst and the resulting gas release blew a hole in his overalls and scared the crap out of everyone in the workshop. Not a nice experience at all!