PDA

View Full Version : Oh my what have I done? but whats this?

JimmyCoupe
15-03-11, 04:24 PM
I had a proper scary moment this weekend, went totally against my word and fitted a mk2 dash into my mk1 and personally I will call my self a hypocrite before anyone else does but was it worth it, hell yeah.

In the first picture below i have ringed in red something I found behind the dashboard but I havent got a clue what its purpose is. In short its a power pack of some description with a very thin red wire going into the dash loom and a very thin grey wire going up the passenger side pillar. I first thought it was for the sun roof but after cutting the wire to unthread it from the dash I soon noticed my sun roof was still working and I couldnt find anything else that didnt work so what is it? the red arrow shows roughly where I found it tapped to the shell of the car with electrical tape.

Why did I fit a mk2 dashboard? to make my Xpower gear knob look even better :-).

Jesus what have I done...
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp10/JimineyPhotos/Capture.png

Was it worth it? I'm proper happy with the result :)
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp10/JimineyPhotos/IMG_0128.jpg

Huffy
15-03-11, 04:37 PM
looks great that chap..... the leads that you pointed out are for the ejector seat!

Glenn
15-03-11, 05:13 PM
looks superb

boab73
15-03-11, 05:15 PM
no the leads are for the (FLUX CAPACITOR) which enables (WARP SPEED)

caled
15-03-11, 05:35 PM
no the leads are for the (FLUX CAPACITOR) which enables (WARP SPEED)

Don't take the p*ss, mate - the flux capacitor enables time travel

:laugh:

boab73
15-03-11, 06:40 PM
soz ma bad :whistle:

ZS
15-03-11, 07:45 PM
Looking good Jimmy :) did you spray the trim yourself?

JimmyCoupe
15-03-11, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Something is telling me that power pack is definitly not standard but I'm sure someone will know what it is for, maybe Captain Kirk could help or if its time travel then I will give Colin Baker a call :).

Yeah sprayed the bits myself. I have a local car paint wholesaler than can match the trophy blue paint spot on :). Got my own MG spray shop in my green house :) LOL

andys1981
15-03-11, 09:26 PM
does look good mate,well done!!

mattie007
15-03-11, 10:04 PM
Awesome job. Love a colour coded interior!

MG ZS STE
16-03-11, 12:31 PM
Wow, i had heard of these but only believed it to be myth until now. Apparently Rover installed one of these babies into something like one in every 100,000 cars. Its a Geo Urban Longitudinal Latitudinal Identification Beacon Locating Equipment. They used it to gather information about the cars life. Fault codes registered, characteristics of the driver, annual mileage etc. The info received then went into the RD of future rover/MG models. Fascinating!

Nats Whiskas
16-03-11, 12:51 PM
Yh i heard about the G.U.L.L.I.B.L.E devices. Amazing what a car manufacturers will do in the name of research!!

ZS
16-03-11, 12:59 PM
Have you any closer pictures of the said device? or can post any writing from the device so as to allow us to easier identify it?

JimmyCoupe
16-03-11, 03:25 PM
Wow are you guys for real? how interesting if you are. I dont have any better photos of this but I will definitly get it back out of the dash this weekend and take lots of photos, measurements and report any writing on the device and get them posted up straight away. Anyone know when they started sticking these things in random cars?

Is this a wind up though? :)

skyblueads
16-03-11, 03:48 PM
Nice work-does make a huge difference...

gsinclairzs
16-03-11, 03:53 PM
Yh i heard about the G.U.L.L.I.B.L.E devices. Amazing what a car manufacturers will do in the name of research!!

The clues in the title.:smile1:

Hambo-180
16-03-11, 04:06 PM
not keen on the blue bits on the dash but apart from that its looks superb! good job!!!

Captain Bluebear
16-03-11, 05:30 PM
Proper job! http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll326/piscisvisio/web/thgood.gif
I bet I was a huge relief when you fitted the very last fastener. :D

Huffy
16-03-11, 06:30 PM
Is this a wind up though? :)

yes they are winding you up, "Gullible" it probs part of an aftermarket satnav, post up pics of the unit, and any details printed on it. :)

JimmyCoupe
16-03-11, 06:49 PM
The clues in the title.

I did think it was a joke but not being April 1st I should have been quicker :) jokers LOL.

Doesnt really help me indentify what it is but then again I should have taken a couple more pictures. Thinking about it I dont think it has any writing on it. It is definitly a power pack of some decription heavy in weight and a totally sealed metal block with extremely thin wiring. One red wire feeding cleanly into the hazard light switch on the centre console going straight to the power pack, a couple of wires then come out and into an external fuse cased in a black sleeving and then another extremely thin grey wire feeding up the passenger pillar into the roof covering. The interesting thing really is the way it was bound in black electrical tap and stuck up above the glove box and taped onto the metal front shell of the car, even from Rover I would expect better than that if it was anything to do with them. I cant see this being part of any old ICE system setup and the car shows no signs of having any such systems being fitted. I know the previous owner and its nothing to do with him and speaking with others they havent found any such device when removing the dash. Car is fitted with a tilt and slide sunroof and is a 120 but not the plus so first wondered if the car had been fitted with an after market sunroof hence being bound in tape but the sunroof appears to work without, very odd indeed. My mystery goes on...

Mr ZS180
16-03-11, 07:40 PM
Aftermarket alarm control box? Especially as it feeds into the hazards, and the wire feeding up the pillar, which could be the antenna.

andys1981
16-03-11, 10:50 PM
am pretty sure thats a tracker pal,as the wires are really thin,positive=red black=earth,and you have the antenna,they are meant to be fitted in crazy places so the theves cant access it easy,its been at least 12 yrs since ive fitted one,and they may have changed a bit but good luck with the findings mate!!

JimmyCoupe
17-03-11, 08:57 AM
am pretty sure thats a tracker pal,as the wires are really thin,positive=red black=earth,and you have the antenna,they are meant to be fitted in crazy places so the theves cant access it easy,its been at least 12 yrs since ive fitted one,and they may have changed a bit but good luck with the findings mate!!

Thanks Andy I'm starting to think this now as it has been the most common guess by people. Not very big on trackers so dont really know where to go and have it checked out. What sort of companies normally fit them a part from main dealerships?

peterzs
17-03-11, 09:07 AM
Dont know if its worth giving these a call and see if its on their database.

http://www.tracker.co.uk/TRACKER/

:clap::clap::clap:

andys1981
17-03-11, 11:18 AM
Thanks Andy I'm starting to think this now as it has been the most common guess by people. Not very big on trackers so dont really know where to go and have it checked out. What sort of companies normally fit them a part from main dealerships?

hard to say really as the company i worked for went bust after i left,we fitted a lot of them,but you had to pay other fees,over a year like a subscription thing,its probably dissconnected anyway mate tbh,just take it to an auto electricians or a local place that fits alarms,get some advice off them

KevG
17-03-11, 12:46 PM
If it is a tracker device then it is really a shoddy install!, I thought the whole point was to fit the device in such a concealed place that the thieves wouldn't find it, let alone fine the wiring?

ZS
17-03-11, 01:04 PM
If it is a tracker device then it is really a shoddy install!, I thought the whole point was to fit the device in such a concealed place that the thieves wouldn't find it, let alone fine the wiring?

DIY install?