PDA

View Full Version : Manifold rattle?

haGGard
18-03-11, 05:12 PM
The last week or so ive been able to smell a funny oily/hot smell coming from under the bonnet somewhere, also today while getting home from work i saw some steam coming from under the bonnet near the passenger side part of the windscreen. Anyway, i went to lift the bonnet, and the steam had gone but i heard something much worse. It sounded like the dreaded inlet manifold rattle. It was quite noisey at the time. I stopped the car since, and just been out again to make a video of it, its quietned down a bit now but does this sound like the inlet manifold rattle??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciy2RCRHvss

lawrence-zs180
18-03-11, 05:34 PM
Mmm seems its getting louder with the revs.. but someone with loads more experience than me will prob do better. If it is canned check out the thread I posted because there is one for ?60 on ebay in good nic

Maxfly
19-03-11, 10:58 AM
does sound like it tbh, check your vis are ok bud and if you want i can sell you my spare bare manifold for ?20. It had a very very slight rattle from the same area but it didnt seem down on power, might do as a get you by type thing? only time you could hear a rattle from it was on the overrun and you had to fairly listen for it:)

haGGard
19-03-11, 07:25 PM
Yea it does have a faint rattle, it's not down on power.

I do have a VIS indicator kit installed, the power VIS light has rarely light up. It sometimes has, but 99% of the time it doesn't. It does light up when I turn the ignition off tho, when it resets itself. Car still gets that kick at 3k rpm tho.

I'm unsure about that 60 quid one on eBay. The seller has no feedback

haGGard
21-03-11, 12:52 PM
As the rattle is only small, is there anything i can do to prolong the life of it untill i get a new one? I'm guessing its a dogey power vis motor to blame, as it never lights up on the VIS indicator kit. Only when it resets to neutral position when i turn ignition off.