PDA

View Full Version : Axel stands

mattie007
28-03-11, 08:18 PM
Im doing an oil change tomorrow but have a fear of axel stands now ive had my suspension sorted out!
Can axel stands be used on the jacking points?

Ritchy
28-03-11, 08:27 PM
yes but can put them on the chassis rails, best to use tham as an addition to a jack, leave the jack supporting the vehicle and have the car lowered just onto the stands, and shove any wheels ect or anything chunky underneath, also handy having someone nearby incase of something happening, oh and put goggles on!

haGGard
28-03-11, 08:45 PM
Ive got the fear too. I jack the car up at the front, by the jacking point under the front bumper, then stick the stands on the jacking points by the front of the sills.

Only reason i do that, it because i dont actually know any other safe places (i dont even know where a 'chassis rail' is lol)

Ritchy
28-03-11, 08:54 PM
chassis rails run either side of the exhaust tunnel

Supercharged_Z
28-03-11, 09:01 PM
last year when trying to change the exhaust on my old car, i was under the car on axle stands, while pulling the exhaust, which was caught on the chassis, i felt the car twitch and slowly it fell down ontop of me, luckly i was under the back box part of the car which was loose, and i shimmy'd out.

never craped my pants so quick, and really could of been so much worse.

if i was to own a modifed car again i would invest in a serious jack and stands

peterzs
28-03-11, 09:14 PM
if i was to own a modified car again i would invest in a serious jack and stands

Just shows how quick you can get caught out, someone must have been looking out for you.

Had the same thing happen when I was changing an engine in one of the daughters mini. Proper 3 ton trolley jack, but there was a lot of oil covering the front and I think it just slipped. As you say does make you move.

:yes::yes::yes:

mattie007
28-03-11, 10:55 PM
Christ ross!
May just pay a garage to do it now!
One thing I can't get my head round is if I jack up one side, how do i get the axel stand in the same jacking point?!

dida4g
29-03-11, 06:06 AM
I always use car ramps for an oil change.

Supercharged_Z
29-03-11, 06:16 AM
RAmps are a good shout if u don't need a wheel off.

Matty I use the front towing eyes to jack the car up then the axle stand goes on the sill jack point no trouble

Costco do a very good light weight jack

stamford
29-03-11, 08:29 AM
I use the ratchet type axle stands from Machine Mart, very sturdy and easy to use. I am particular where I place the stands, always position them where they can locate on the suspension and 'cup' something positive. If doing an oil change make sure it is positioned where the oil will fully drain.

mattie007
29-03-11, 07:35 PM
All done! Thanks for all the advice.
Bit tricky to get that plastic underpanel off and needed a 6ft gas pipe to get the sump plug off but got there in the end :cool2:
Only thing I cant get back in are 2 little scrivets on this plastic underpanel. There in a box shape and I cant get my hand in there!

mattie007
29-03-11, 07:58 PM
And this is what 28 months of used oil and 22k looks like!

http://i56.tinypic.com/1537gye.jpg

peterzs
29-03-11, 08:51 PM
Bit like my derv oil after 6 months and 2 thousand odd miles.

I use a sucker to get the oil out, and after 4 oil changes done by the sucker, take it to a garage and let them drop the oil and put a new filter on.

I am getting too old to clamber about under the car, my excuse is that we live on a hill and I dont trust jacks/axel stands, if they arnt on the level.

:wave::wave::wave: