PDA

View Full Version : rear bumper sensors

jamesc777
07-04-11, 06:56 AM
Iv been faffing around and iv decided to change the parking sensors, mine are bad jobs put on aftermarket by the prvious owner and there are just 2 of them, so i thought i would just get a set of 4 and swap them over and put 2 new holes in at the edges but hell, guess what, the existing sensors are not level with each other so it would throw everything out, i will try and find a pic but what can i do? the sensor is half a hole below where it should be.....
is it possible to fill, plastic weld or something small peices in to the bumper and either re-situe the sensors or go smooth without?!! aaaahhhhh

stamford
07-04-11, 07:24 AM
Sounds like another bumper job to me to make it perfect.

jamesc777
07-04-11, 10:16 AM
UMM, problem thats expensive ?230, pitty i dont have a hatch, rimmer bross are doing 1 for 127 quid!!!

stamford
07-04-11, 11:33 AM
mk1 or mk2? Surely there are some 2nd hand ones out there to play with?

jamesc777
07-04-11, 11:44 AM
mk2, not seen a mk2 saloon 1 yet to play with. im keeping an eye on fleebay

dida4g
07-04-11, 02:04 PM
Iv been faffing around and iv decided to change the parking sensors, mine are bad jobs put on aftermarket by the prvious owner and there are just 2 of them, so i thought i would just get a set of 4 and swap them over and put 2 new holes in at the edges but hell, guess what, the existing sensors are not level with each other so it would throw everything out, i will try and find a pic but what can i do? the sensor is half a hole below where it should be.....
is it possible to fill, plastic weld or something small peices in to the bumper and either re-situe the sensors or go smooth without?!! aaaahhhhh

My bodywork guy can do it for you at his garage, he loves these kind of fiddly jobs.
He fixed my front bumper.
PM me, I can give you his No.

Enright
29-08-11, 09:55 PM
My car has had it's rear bumper replaced. It previously had parking sensors in the rear bumper, and to be fair, it still has. It's just that now they're taped to the inside of the bumper because the previous owner was nervous about cutting holes in the wrong place!!!
I'd like to get everything on the car working how it should, so want to re-install the sensors properly. Please could anyone with rear sensors provide a few measurements to ensure that when I drill the holes, I put them where they should be? Ta! :D

talkingcars
29-08-11, 10:23 PM
Aren't the drill points marked on the inside with crosses?

Ritchy
29-08-11, 10:26 PM
Aren't the drill points marked on the inside with crosses?

yup, just put a pilot through from the back, the put masking tape over the paint and drill through with a hole cutter

Enright
30-08-11, 09:02 PM
Brilliant - that takes the guesswork out of it - thanks guys! :D

Dav
31-08-11, 12:33 PM
Can these aftermarket kits be fitted in the same place, or do they have to be genuine? And can they be painted over?

Enright
07-09-11, 03:00 PM
yup, just put a pilot through from the back, the put masking tape over the paint and drill through with a hole cutter

Just thought of one last question - does anyone happen to know what size hole cutter please?

MG ZS STE
07-09-11, 04:27 PM
i used a 27mm tank cutter to fit my OEM ones. some aftermarket ones are smaller but usually come with a cutter suitable for the sensors in the kit.