PDA

View Full Version : MG start Production today!

Nats Whiskas
13-04-11, 08:37 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-13054842

Straight from the horses mouth. Apparently they are starting full blown production of the 6 today!!

Dan1971
13-04-11, 08:39 AM
Featured in the news on the amateur breakfast show - ITV - and they showed a decent looking image parked up and the rear badging of a Turbo. Hopefully it'll generate some real interest.

jamesc777
13-04-11, 09:15 AM
I think this is great news, im hoping my plans come off so i can get one myself, think i prefer the saloon but the family will probably be better with a hatch (sport back) i do like the tein spec though!!

Alan.F
13-04-11, 09:20 AM
I think is come all to late tbh

stamford
13-04-11, 10:30 AM
Could be right there Alan, it's taken far too long for MG to be taken seriously as it is now a Chinese owned company.It will be difficult due to the association with cheap production and copycat images that they tend to portray. I also believe the basic design and model range is not enough to take some current company car/lease owners away from known marques as currently used. Time will only tell, just hope they pitch it with the right model and price, somehow I don't think they will and will play it too safe.

pheelay
13-04-11, 10:39 AM
I thought the production facility at longbridge was flattened?! Or was it just part of it?

stamford
13-04-11, 12:12 PM
Not all gone, having not been there for a while I think the plant and entrance on Lickey Road is the one, but not certain. They are only assembling the engines, gearboxes to the imported shells, no actual manufacturing is being done, so very limited.

Jay-ZS+
13-04-11, 12:17 PM
Not intrested in the new models at all to be honest, just got my fingers crossed it might boost the market for second hand zeds.

jamesc777
13-04-11, 12:23 PM
i think the prices look pretty good, cheaper than a focus with better spec (i know materials might not be as good we will have to see) and its the size of the insignia/mondeo. i know what people mean about it been a bit late, they should have given themselves a timethey could have hit they they wouldnt be looking like a mickey mouse outfit which if they are not careful they will. hope they go ok.

stamford
13-04-11, 12:29 PM
Not intrested in the new models at all to be honest, just got my fingers crossed it might boost the market for second hand zeds.

With only tooling and a workforce of 400 they are only looking at 3000 units max per annum. The Chinese have taken too much time inflating their own markets to think worldworld.

mattie007
13-04-11, 05:01 PM
I hope they do well, just so MG appear on Forza :D

StragglaSteve
13-04-11, 05:14 PM
what bhp does this 1.8 turbo produce?

andys1981
13-04-11, 10:43 PM
heh were back guys,know she aint a beauty but its a start,the amount of arguements ave had at work with the 180,and zr,deffo need a saloon out there,wee bodykit,its a start guys am quite chuffed actually !

Ritchy
13-04-11, 11:20 PM
brilliant, i hope it sells well and all these people are kept in a job, and then the plant can get made bigger and more production can happen and obviosly more jobs, shall be keeping my eyes peeled, certainly to me looks nicer than the new focus dont like the new focus at all although the focus does have more toys and options atm

jamesc777
14-04-11, 06:13 AM
bhp is 158 i think

Jay-ZS+
14-04-11, 06:54 AM
Could do with a 200bhp derv, that would sell well!! 158 isn't gonna cut it against it's competition.

jamesc777
14-04-11, 07:58 AM
should remap to 180 with no trouble and probably 190, iv read its not a high power turbo, more like the volvo and saab jobs, good overtaking power but i hope for all those diesel fans they put in a 6 speed box. modern day car with only 5 speed, again i think they have missed out with the reps. fine for someone like me, mainly local and some motorways but i would want 6 or more for long distance. still excited tho.

Steves Cleenz
14-04-11, 08:02 AM
The engine is the 1.8 Turbo from the ZT/75 so what ever you can get out of them is what is possible, like Jay says, needs a hefty derv, which they did say on the news a derv is coming out next year

ian zs180
14-04-11, 10:50 PM
Could do with a 200bhp derv, that would sell well!! 158 isn't gonna cut it against it's competition.

Agree 100% with you jay and limited to 120mph whats that all about its an mg and meant to be a performance brand . They say its for insurance purposes but dont think thats gona make much of a difference to the insurance premium to be honest . Maybe its so the headgasket dont go :laugh:

starfire039
15-04-11, 12:35 AM
put myself down for a test drive. 0-60 of 9 seconds doesn't sound too promising. Just not enough grunt in what appears to be a decent chassis.

Unfortunately I also think the new TF has damaged SAIC MG's reputation, remember how fast (read: slow) the SAIC TF sold? Test drove one of those too, slow as hell, and poorly built. Very rattly, and a very loud fan came on during a test drive. Although I can't comment on the 6 until I've driven one, I feel even if it's solidly built, which I think it will be, the stigma of the new TF and the fact it's a Chinese "Rover" will only hurt sales. I can't see a regular buyer who would normally go for a focus/astra would give the 6 a serious thought over well established hatchbacks.

I think the only way SAIC could renew interest in the MG brand would be to bring out a hatchback that is way ahead of it's time, with all the gadgets, solid build and something like a 1.4 with a years free insurance to appeal to young drivers/eco aware drivers (why people that worry about 10-15mpg when they're spanking ?14k+ on a brand new car baffles me), as well as a true performance saloon to replace the ZS. I do think that they're sort of hitting a market that just isn't big enough. First impressions are key, especially with a brand like MG... and I don't think the MG6 will cut it. I don't want one, and I'm one of those people that are most likely to get one, seeing as this is technically my cars successor.

The car I will be replacing my 120 with is a 180, not an MG6. I just cannot justify the difference in price, I'm not getting the value over a previous gen MG, and that is really not good. I suspect a lot of others feel the same... but I really hope I'm proved wrong. Whack out something original, headturning, groundbreaking, whether it's a low powered hatchback, a hybrid, a saloon with a big old engine in it... then I'll be interested. With SAIC's budget there's no excuse.