PDA

View Full Version : Timing belts

fastmike
18-04-11, 03:09 PM
Ok this one for debate..... my son has a Fiat 20 valve turbo.... the timing belt was changed 27,000 miles ago ..... but that was 6 years ago...would you be rushing to change the belts ?

Ok , now for the reason I ask.... I E mailed Gates regarding time limits on timing belts.... they replied the 6 years is the limit
Now we all trawl E bay for parts etc..... how many of us buy Rover genuine boxed timing belts ? Now bare in mind how long ago Rover closed .... arent those new boxed timing belts already out of time ?

Oh and in the reply from Gates they stated rubber belts deteriorate over time

peterzs
18-04-11, 03:20 PM
A lot cheaper to do belts then a new head/engine.

Our Punto 1.2 belts went but the valves were OK. Fire engine, so don't know about 20 valve one.

Only cost ?100 to supply and fit, might be worth getting some quotes.

fastmike
18-04-11, 03:24 PM
I,m not too concerned about the cost ( I know its around ?500) ..... its just how does anyone KNOW how old the "new" belts are ?

stamford
18-04-11, 03:34 PM
That's a valid point, more so if it's a DIY fit, however if a garage job then you would expect them to use current stock not ebay specials! I would personally opt for a known brand from a reputable supplier and not perhaps cheap kits from an unknown source for that very reason.

As for the FIAT 5 pot I do believe that is an engine out from underneath to gain access to a belt change due to the lack of room up top to carry out the job. Probably why they are cheap to buy nowadays.

fastmike
18-04-11, 03:46 PM
That's a valid point, more so if it's a DIY fit, however if a garage job then you would expect them to use current stock not ebay specials! I would personally opt for a known brand from a reputable supplier and not perhaps cheap kits from an unknown source for that very reason.

As for the FIAT 5 pot I do believe that is an engine out from underneath to gain access to a belt change due to the lack of room up top to carry out the job. Probably why they are cheap to buy nowadays.

The thing is tho Mick....has anyone ever seen a date of manufacture on a timing belt box ? And just how fresh can a new belt be ? ... It must sit on a shelf somewhere waiting to be bought/shipped etc... its not as if a fresh batch are made every day and yesterdays are destroyed

mgzsturbo2008
18-04-11, 03:50 PM
You people are forgetting that once fitted it is under tension and exposed to the elements and hot and cold conditions and as for whever to change or not because its only done low miles i would change it for piece of mind and all manufactuers state WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST!.

fastmike
18-04-11, 04:16 PM
You people are forgetting that once fitted it is under tension and exposed to the elements and hot and cold conditions and as for whever to change or not because its only done low miles i would change it for piece of mind and all manufactuers state WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST!.

Nope , I wasnt forgetting that ...... but Gates stated in thier reply.... timing belts deteriorate over time