PDA

View Full Version : MGRover solutions

starfire039
18-04-11, 03:38 PM
I believe a while back, Mick used Russell from MGRover solutions to do a cambelt change? Was just wondering if he or anyone else can comment on his service... where my car has been sat for a year, I believe moisture has built up and where it's been taken up and down the road to keep her ticking over there has been a build up of moisture in the oil filler cap, causing a mayo-y like mixture. The coolant tank seems okay, and the dipstick has normal coloured oil, but obviously if the headgasket has coincidentally gone towards the end of me driving the car over summer (I had a cambelt change, if the new water pump was faulty.... ouch).

Basically in light of this I have decided to call Russell and he's going to come over and have a nosey for ?20. I'm guessing he should be doing pressure tests and the like, can anyone confirm the appropriate tests for HGF, apart from looking? If anyone's had any positive experiences (or not?) I'd like to hear!

Also, is the fact there's no mayo on the dipstick a good sign, or am I screwed? I'm being very over cautious probably, but if there's a problem I'd rather nip it in the bud before it costs more.

Jay-ZS+
18-04-11, 03:53 PM
If it was me wipe the filler cap, take it out for a decent sprinted drive. Then all will be good. Id put my weekend formula one winnings (was a good weekend!) on it being condensation and nothing to worry about. ;)

starfire039
18-04-11, 03:56 PM
I know, I'm paranoid. I'm gonna have an MOT in a couple of weeks, purposely booked it in Horsham, which is about 40 minutes away from me. Gives me the only opportunity I have so far to give it a decent drive (at ?32 a day insurance, might as well get my money's worth!)

Will see how it goes then I guess.

fastmike
18-04-11, 04:15 PM
Sounds like condensation to me too...... take it out for a good run , get it hot and put some miles on it

talkingcars
18-04-11, 09:48 PM
Does sound like condensation due to the car standing, we've had a cold winter which won't have helped.

I've heard many good stories about Russel and only 1 bad and even there it seems to be the engine rather than the mechanic.

......purposely booked it in Horsham......

my town, which garage are you going to?

starfire039
18-04-11, 10:40 PM
Does sound like condensation due to the car standing, we've had a cold winter which won't have helped.

I've heard many good stories about Russel and only 1 bad and even there it seems to be the engine rather than the mechanic.

my town, which garage are you going to?

A council MOT test station, so no garage. Unless you can recommend a good garage in your area?

stamford
20-04-11, 07:43 AM
Never heard anything bad about Russell, he's worked on both the ZS and the F. He knows his stuff and will be honest with you. He is not out to make money as he has enough work from word-of-mouth as he never advertises and doesn't need to. Just ask how many miles he clocks up in a year and see his diary, the man loves his work!