PDA

View Full Version : MG ZS 180 still having issues

adio
20-04-11, 11:48 AM
Hello Peoples i have an mg zs 180 and i have had issues for a while having had my engine hydrolocked i have since replaced the engine and the wiring loom and still no start since then i have replaced the ecu bcu key fob etc all bought together and still no start and im now lost as to what to do if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated as which direction to go

thanks adio

stamford
20-04-11, 12:43 PM
Could you not use the original set? What is happening? Does it turn over? does it try to fire? Is there a spark? Is there fuel pressure? Lots of questions and lots to tick off as you go to reduce the possiblities.

adio
20-04-11, 01:07 PM
thanks stamford ill pass that on to my mechanic and find out any neccassary information for ya

adio
20-04-11, 01:16 PM
hi stamford spoke to the mechanic he said it is ticking over but there is no spark there is pressure in the fuel he says that when he hooks up the rover t4 computer wont speak to the ems2000 so he is at a loss as what is going down any help on this would be greatly appreciated :)

stamford
20-04-11, 02:54 PM
Do you mean ticking over or turning over? It can't tick over if there's no spark. I would suggest looking into the immobiliser circuit as that sounds the likely cause. Have you actually checked that the ecu/bcu and fobs are matched and synchronised? Sounds like you have a communication issue with the fob/immobiliser.

peterzs
20-04-11, 04:33 PM
What engine did you replace the damaged one with??

If it was another 180 why change all the wiring Fobs etc. I don't know much about the electronics, but thought you could just unplug one 180 and bung another one in its place and replug it all.

Or would that not work, or have you put something else in???

Ritchy
20-04-11, 05:28 PM
indeed that is the case peter, did i read you had a 190 engine? in which case believe the crank sensor differs on them and would stop it from sparking, if its turning over then the imobiliser is letting it work as when the imobiliser kicks in it will just give you the nee naw sound and not do anything, so id first be looking at the crank and cam sensors

peterzs
20-04-11, 05:57 PM
Cheers Ritchy.

:wave::wave::wave:

adio
20-04-11, 06:32 PM
thanks ritchie that exactly what the computer is saying crank shaft sensor is not aligned correctly we put a new one in so maybe its the wrong one thats in it that might explain a lot

Ritchy
20-04-11, 08:53 PM
take the one off the old engine, did you swap the flywheel over?

talkingcars
20-04-11, 10:17 PM
IIRC some flywheels are 2 gap and some are 4 gap, having the wrong one for the ECU would stop the engine from running.

adio
21-04-11, 08:38 PM
Ok here goes as to what was done and why, Engine was replaced, rocker covers changed as replacement engine ones were different, also changed top half of sump, and sump as also different, original flywheel fitted. After car failed to start first time and investigating found that camshaft on from half of engine had been damaged due to previous person into engine did not use correct timing tools. Replaced camshaft and timed engine up. Again engine failed to start.

Carried out diagnostics using Rover T4 computer, i can access the BCU, but when i try to access the ECU the T4 diagnostics cant connect. Tried using Bosch KTS diagnostics, again failed to connect using the engine management option, I was able to get 1 fault code using the OBD option, Fault registered was the camshaft sensor was out of range.

New camshaft sensor tried and no success, Thinking it may be a wiring issue i also changed the engine bay wiring loom, still no joy. Also changed the ECU, BCU, along with keyfob required.

Again same issue. Again i cant access the engine ECU with the T4, I used the T4 to access the EKA and tried that thinking it may have something to do with that. Knew it would'nt work but was worth a try. Carried out System tests on the BCU and all seemed to work fine.

Ok so here is what i have found that seems strange other than not being able to access the ecu. Central locking no longer works, The small red light on the instrument cluster to let you know the alarm is on no longer lights up or does anything for that matter. The engine turns over but does not even offer, no spark, and its not injection fuel into the bores. When the ignition is turned on you hear the alarm bleeping away for a few secs then it goes off, or can be turned off using the key fob. You can hear the fuel pump run for a few secs the as it should it stops, just the norm really. although it still wont start.

Carried out visual inspection of wiring but nothing strange found. The car did run before engine was removed so cant understand whats happened now. Any help would be great.

Ritchy
21-04-11, 08:51 PM
what is the battery voltage at just now? are the engine earth cables on properly, also make sure the ecu connector is on correctly

adio
21-04-11, 09:15 PM
Battery is fully charged and also checked all the earth cables, removed and cleaned up cables onto g/box and also onto the body. Checked all fuses in engine bay and also inside the vehicle. running out of things to check, it may be something simple but finding it aint.

coreygraham180
21-04-11, 09:33 PM
Is it maby just the immobiliser if the the central locking is not working it could it be the immobiliser not coming off if it makes the noise when u try and start it and could you not get it off the the code with the key in the barrel???

adio
21-04-11, 09:58 PM
Hi as i said in previous post i used the T4 computer to get the EKA (Emergency Key Access) and tried this, still no joy. The alarm noise does switch off after a few secs and also if you use the key fob, although I do think it is something to do with the ECU and the BCU not talking to each other but unsure as to why.

coreygraham180
21-04-11, 10:06 PM
Facepalm

Must have been the only paragraph that I didn't see