PDA

View Full Version : swap or no swap

tommy060289
26-10-07, 09:05 PM
hey, im currently driving an 06 plate zr 105 trophy SE and having a crisis of faith:(

Don't worry im staying MG (and starlight silver)

The car is mint condition apart from one scraped alloy and has 10k on the clock.

The thing is ive seen a beaut of a 4 door ZS diesel, 54 plate with 25k on the clock.

The upgrade will cost me naff all really but just wondering as to what people opinions are on whether I should upgrade.

I do quite a lot of miles and get about 45mpg out the 1.4 where as I reckon I could push almost 60 with the diesel but then again ive had the zr from new as opposed to a second hand zs.

What kind of problems could I be running into/avoiding by changing to a slightly older diesel zs.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

stamford
27-10-07, 08:41 AM
That is a tough one, I can see your dilemma. Been there before having a new car and looking at going back a couple of years. Sometimes you need to do this, are you happy to do it that is the question, do you have doubts?

The ZS will be a better car, bigger, more refined and more thrifty yes, but are you happy to got back two years on a plate? Personally if the car met what I wanted and I felt happy with the deal then yes. As for costs, others should post as I have not run an MG-Rover diesel, but I would not think there would be any issues there. Good luck with your decision, either would be faultless ;)

mrt_04
27-10-07, 08:50 AM
I too have been looking at the diesel market for a commute car & to save the miles on my ZS Mk.2. Will be averaging 350miles per week
Having considered various options, I have realised that the ZR secondhand market varies quite dramatically, in that there is quite a few on the market available. Whereas the ZS diesels tend to hold a better price, thus although you are dropping a few plates, in the long run, you are probably not losing financially & returning excellent mpg.
For my sins, I have be purchasing a Suzuki Vitara 20L Turbo Diesel!!!! :yes:

michaelb
27-10-07, 05:44 PM
the ZS is a much better car than the ZR m8. it's obviously bigger but it feels better built and a much nicer place to sit in.

the diesel is much quicker than the 1.4 and if you do the miles then it'll be more economical. the L-series is also much more reliable than the k-series.....no more worrying about the head gasket.

the age shouldn't be an issue as a diesel will outlast the petrol if looked after.

the only downside is the noise......the L-series is very noisy especially when cold although you could fit some soundproofing out of a 400 or early 45.

i went from a 103ps 1.4 25 to a 45 113ps diesel and have no regrets......however i did swap it for my 120 but the diesel felt quicker than the 1.8 imo!!

i have a drive and see what you think.

is it a mk1 or mk2??

tommy060289
27-10-07, 06:10 PM
mk2 saloon, is the spoiler standard zs saloon?

Tom

michaelb
27-10-07, 06:21 PM
mk2 saloon, is the spoiler standard zs saloon?

Tom

no the only spoiler std on the mk2 is the small lip spoiler....even the 180's didn't have the spoiler as std!

tommy060289
27-10-07, 07:13 PM
so the large spoiler would need declarin on my insurance:(

michaelb
27-10-07, 07:19 PM
i wouldn't worry about that m8 to be honest......for all they know it was fitted at the factory b4 you bought it.

its a factory fitted part after all!

Leasky
27-10-07, 07:41 PM
i think the ZS's are built better imo

sduk
27-10-07, 08:28 PM
i have to agree, i went from a ZR to a ZS and the ZS is far superior, alot better built and solid imo. Its better to drive and much better to look at :D

plus if you get one you get to stick around on here as a ZS owner :D