PDA

View Full Version : MG respect?

weagie
26-10-07, 09:11 PM
I admit to buying some crappy car magazines but i'm glad i did when i saw this.
In a feature called britians worst driver MG drivers took forth with the footnote stating "most MG's deserve to have accidents to be fair, just to take them off the road"
What a bunch of w*nkers.:rant:

MGZS55
26-10-07, 09:58 PM
Oof..git of a mag anyway...what's it called...not that I'd even buy it to wipe my...

windows with...or is it newspapers that don't leave streaks.
:shoot:

Mat C
26-10-07, 10:02 PM
Probably true though. Most MG drivers drive like complete tw@ts, ZR owners with 1.4 engines trying to take on the world, ZS180 owners thinking we have fast cars (are they b0110cks !) when diesel Astras are faster and ZT owners thinking they are in an M3 competitor. I drive daft sometimes, we all do. You reap what you sow.

arwilson80
26-10-07, 10:14 PM
I wonder if they are including Rovers in their figures too. ;)

I have to say that i sometimes have my moments, but to categorise the driving sytle by car make is stupid. I could be in a Nissan... It's because of the big price drop since MG-R went bust and they look sporty as stand that chavs and boy racers buy them.

Boot Hill Bandit
26-10-07, 10:46 PM
Most MG drivers drive like complete tw@ts ......ZS180 owners thinking we have fast cars (are they b0110cks !) I drive daft sometimes, we all do. You reap what you sow.

Guilty as charged :oops:

Shafz
26-10-07, 11:44 PM
It's because of the big price drop since MG-R went bust and they look sporty as standard so chavs and boy racers buy them.

have to agree...the new breeed of MG owners

shroonie29
27-10-07, 01:41 AM
, ZS180 owners thinking we have fast cars (are they b0110cks !) when diesel Astras are faster

Is yours broken :tease:

Shroon

Mat C
27-10-07, 09:11 AM
No, but car technology moves on - something MGR never ever did !

arwilson80
27-10-07, 09:46 AM

But isn't that part of why we bought them to a certain extent? They haven't all the usual refinements to make the drive all smooth - more of a drivers car...:yes:

Maxxed_Ross
27-10-07, 10:40 AM
have to agree...the new breeed of MG owners

that has been a big issue around Central Scotland over the last few years. It went from being a respectable car to own to being a chav charriot almost over night :sad:

Murray203ps
27-10-07, 11:16 AM
Couldn't really care less tbh.I drive my car as hard as you possibly could, with it never having broken down leaving me in a sticky situation.Its got 75,000 miles on the clock and will still put a lot of cars with greater power to shame(including Astra diesels).:yes:

Mat C
27-10-07, 12:08 PM
Hehe, my point about a ZS180's power (all 175 bhp of it) is that for some reason we seem to think that's powerful. A 2 litre 4 pot Clio Sport has more power than that, 22bhp more to be exact yet we never hear of them being crowned bad drivers. I really do think that driving an MG does bring aout a certain degree of arrogance and this strange belief that we are driving sub-supercars! 175 bhp is not fast, no way. My old 400+bhp Cosworth, now that was fast and would show anyone this side of a 911 Turbo what real speed was.
Oh, Murray - if you think that even with 203ps that you could beat an 888 Astra Diesel around a track then be my guest! It has the same BHP as what you have but with 330 lbft (not NM !!) makes it incredibly quick through the gears. 0-60 is quicker than ours, 0-100 is quicker than ours and every in gear time is faster than ours. They are only marginaly slower around a race track than a VXR Astra but in the real world they would leave a VXR for dead plus they don't suffer the torque steer that VXR's do because 888 engineering have all but eliminated it. :)

Smokey
27-10-07, 01:17 PM
But you love your ZS right? 'Cos I'm not feeling any love for it in your posts!!

ian zs180
27-10-07, 01:56 PM
he has lots of problems with his by the sound of it but i dont and love my mg and as for the 400 brake cossie bet that was real reliable wasnt it ?? i can imagine it was :mml:

Southern Storm
28-10-07, 12:06 AM
Hehe, my point about a ZS180's power (all 175 bhp of it) is that for some reason we seem to think that's powerful. A 2 litre 4 pot Clio Sport has more power than that, 22bhp more to be exact yet we never hear of them being crowned bad drivers. I really do think that driving an MG does bring aout a certain degree of arrogance and this strange belief that we are driving sub-supercars! 175 bhp is not fast, no way. My old 400+bhp Cosworth, now that was fast and would show anyone this side of a 911 Turbo what real speed was.
Oh, Murray - if you think that even with 203ps that you could beat an 888 Astra Diesel around a track then be my guest! It has the same BHP as what you have but with 330 lbft (not NM !!) makes it incredibly quick through the gears. 0-60 is quicker than ours, 0-100 is quicker than ours and every in gear time is faster than ours. They are only marginaly slower around a race track than a VXR Astra but in the real world they would leave a VXR for dead plus they don't suffer the torque steer that VXR's do because 888 engineering have all but eliminated it. :)

Right I know what you mean. And some valid points. Maybe it isn't fast but it is agreeably quick with good handling and looks.
If you really don't rate it..... why on earth have you still got one? We have enough of other people slating them without fellow owners doing the same.

Mat C
28-10-07, 08:43 AM
You don't get what i'm getting at ! I've not once said their's anything wrong with the ZS180 in my statement, i have just pointed out that technology and engine developement has moved on leaps and bounds and that despite what we think, our cars just aren't quick in the grand scheme of things. I love my ZS180, good looks, corners well enough to keep me out of ditches and has enough power (just) to overtake lorries on busy A roads. But you have to admit that even basic rep mobiles are now punching well above their weight and can give us a good pasting ! My absolute point is - we need to get this idea out of our heads that we are driving some kind of fast car because the stark truth is we aren't - we just drive a nice V6 engined car wearing a combat uniform.

Mat C
28-10-07, 08:46 AM
he has lots of problems with his by the sound of it but i dont and love my mg and as for the 400 brake cossie bet that was real reliable wasnt it ?? i can imagine it was :mml:

Never had a single problem with all 3 of my MG's Ian and i love my current one and i loved the other 2 ! I'm just a realist who opens my eyes to the real world ! And the Cossie was perfect too. Never missed a beat. Had to get rid of it because i was in my 20's and just couldn't afford to run it.

Mat C
28-10-07, 08:48 AM
But you love your ZS right? 'Cos I'm not feeling any love for it in your posts!!

Yes, i'm very fond of my ZS and i'm proud to own it and i feel very lucky to own such a nice car ! But their's always something better out there and my eyes are wide open to that. There is a world beyond dear old MG you know ;)

Fez
28-10-07, 09:09 AM
I see what Mat is saying. I think he saying Technology has moved on and the handing is great but in the power department the MG doesn't give you an advantage on other cars in the same market sector or even the new diesel sector(140/150 bhp) until you get to the top end.

It doesn't make it a bad car or a car you can't love. But it can't punch above it own weight and even needs a semi good driver to punch at its own weight. As every performance car now has at least 200 brake.

Mat C
28-10-07, 09:31 AM
Fez, if i could buy you a pint i would ! That's 100% my point ! :beer2:

Smokey
28-10-07, 09:35 AM
I understand what is being said but from my perspective, not everyone has had the pleasure of owning 400bhp cars or anything similar. I got the ZS coming off a 1.2 Punto so for me the difference is vast and thouroughly enjoyable. Plus yes similar class cars have far more grunt than the ZS should have but at the end of the day, lower spec 1.2,1.4,1.6's are far more common on the road so for me the MG still stands out from the crowd and is way faster than anyone I hang around with.

Mat C
28-10-07, 09:43 AM
I must admit, in that department i've been lucky with my cars. About 10 years ago my uncle and I used to buy and sell cars as a sideline but we only dealt in performance cars. For 2 years i never actualy 'officialy owned' a car. We got a bit attatched to some of them and the RWD Sapphire Cosworth was my favourite and stuff like M3's were his. He kept the trend going though and stuck with the buying and selling - his daily steer is now a 911 Carrera 2 with the 911 Turbos wider arch kit and wheels - looks awesome !

Fez
28-10-07, 10:16 AM
Fez, if i could buy you a pint i would ! That's 100% my point ! :beer2:

Glad I hit the point.

Smokey
28-10-07, 10:48 AM
wish I was as lucky as you lol...only way I'll drive a faster car is if I buy one!

stamford
28-10-07, 11:03 AM
So who has said something that has started this off then?

I don't see many stating theirs can slay everything on the road, perhaps those that have posted in the ZS180 v hot hatch and wins, which I find a bit funny.

I for one know it's limitations and know when to keep my right foot off the gas! Yes it can be embarassed by a diesel, that is technology for you.

I have owned more cars than I care to remember, some alot older than the ZS and quicker too, that has come to driving and racing cars for some 26 years. My old 1978 HSX Chevette was quicker than the ZS, but that was a homologation special of 400 cars built for group B rallying.

Each to their own and the bottom line is that we are all enthusiasts and try to keep the marque in the spotlight, hopefully for the right reasons. MG ownership is a strange thing, a bit like Marmite I reckon.

In life you have to taste everything on display and we all buy great cars and we all have had lemons. As long as we are happy with them, that is what counts.

Murray203ps
28-10-07, 12:01 PM
Understand what your saying Mat but i base my zs on other cars that i have a pop at on the roads(yes i'm one of those sad blokes who doesn't mind having a dice with anything).

I know we don't drive supersonic cars but i do think they can punch above thier weight when i can keep up with a boosted Renault Megane F1 up to around 135 mph.

Smokey
28-10-07, 01:57 PM
its fast enough for me, thats for sure...ofcourse I would have a faster, more refined car if my wallet was big enough, but I love my MG with a passion as anyone who knows me will admit, and is kind of the point of this site I guess and is the best site I have joined, not just for information as there are sites with more (because they have run for years) but for the people who are members of the site and create the community I visit every day!

Dave MGT
28-10-07, 03:26 PM
Probably true though. Most MG drivers drive like complete tw@ts, ZR owners with 1.4 engines trying to take on the world, ZS180 owners thinking we have fast cars (are they b0110cks !) when diesel Astras are faster and ZT owners thinking they are in an M3 competitor. I drive daft sometimes, we all do. You reap what you sow.

Whats with that post????
Sounds like you were the author for that magazine:laugh:

The ZS 180 is 7 years old now dont forget.
Astra diesels might be quick in a straight line (not much difference to a 180 i bet) but i dont think it would be as quick on a track where it matters.

ZR/ZS/ZT are great cars for what they are but some people cannot seem to except that?

weagie
28-10-07, 04:07 PM
Looks like i opened a can of worms and i admit i drive like a *** sometimes but all in fun and never to endanger like some twats i've seen in their pimped out corsa's and the like.
By the way no1 spot went to blonde hairdressers in m3's

ZS180V6
28-10-07, 05:47 PM
I think you would be hard pushed to find as much car for your money in looks and performance.........

weagie
28-10-07, 06:15 PM
very true, i think the zs is better looking than some other cars out there now at three times the cost and probably power but its not just about the performance. More what you get out of watever it is you drive.

stamford
28-10-07, 06:37 PM
There are alot of other rides out there that will fulfill other wishes, however, very few that can offer so much for the price. The 180 is a good all round package for budget, not much can match that.

To get a good overview on marques, trends and useage just take a gander over on the Pistonheads classified boards and look at the quantities of the cars being offered.

Example:

MG ZS-30 off
Subaru Impreza-895
Mitsubishi Lancer-347

Looks like I am with the underdog yet again ;)

weagie
28-10-07, 06:47 PM
mines a humble 120 but she's shown up a few chav powered mobiles on a few occassions. You know the ones, they wack on the biggest tail pipe they can get and think that because their motor sounds like a tractor then it must be going faster!

Smokey
28-10-07, 06:50 PM
so nobody likes the Subaru's then!! Evo's are a good car though but both are so expensive when comparing age/condition/mileage....I would have a new generation of either given the money but I love my ZS for its looks and its above average power.

weagie
28-10-07, 09:11 PM
nah subaru's are mince, pug ugly even. Give me a skyline anyday.

stamford
29-10-07, 06:00 AM
Just looking at the cars on offer and the quanitites just shows who follows the herd, also begs the question, if they are that good, why so many for sale?

Southern Storm
29-10-07, 04:28 PM
Just looking at the cars on offer and the quanitites just shows who follows the herd, also begs the question, if they are that good, why so many for sale?

My words exactly.

I too am of the opinion of comparing my car with other cars on the road and cars I have owned. This is a powerful car for what it is. Certainly outpowering anything I have owned before. You try and find a silky smooth V6 with around 170Bhp stunning looks, and only a few years old for the money these cars currently go for?
I imagine comparing it to a 400Bhp sierra a bit......lacklustre. But, sorry mate there is one fundamental flaw with that car. Its a Ford Sierra! they never ever looked nice in my opinion. The only engine worthwhile was the Cosworth.
Not having a go just putting my thruppence in.

stamford
29-10-07, 06:26 PM
To put things into perspective, my prevous car was a Vauxhall Calibra V6, not as quick as the 180 as the engine was not tweaked and had an anchor for a flywheel, but still a nice car to drive. I went looking for a replacement car as I needed four doors and five seats but did not consider the ZS as they were out of my then budget. Funny when you see something you like you can suddenly afford it :laugh:

Mat C
29-10-07, 06:39 PM
I imagine comparing it to a 400Bhp sierra a bit......lacklustre. But, sorry mate there is one fundamental flaw with that car. Its a Ford Sierra! they never ever looked nice in my opinion. The only engine worthwhile was the Cosworth.

If you can point out where i have compared a ZS180 against my old Cosworth then i will personaly give you my car and the keys to my house tommorrow !

Not once did i make any direct comparison of the 2 cars, i merely said that the Cosworth was a true fast car and the ZS is not a true fast car - rapid-ish maybe, but not a true fast car ! I can't get why everyone's getting so worked up when all i've done is to point out a hard truth ! I've not made any direct insult to anyone, saying there cars are bad, i've not even said the ZS is bad - if it was why would i be on my 2nd ?! :D

Southern Storm
29-10-07, 06:40 PM
Cool I had a Calibra 2.0 8 valve. A wreck when I bought it but quite sweet when I practically had to give it away. Torquey but low power for a car that size. The V6 sounds sweet in them

Southern Storm
29-10-07, 06:54 PM
Ah right yep soz re read your post. You are right in the grand scheme of things the car is not a fast car and everything is relative I guess. Just from the outset it sounded like you almost detested the drive of your car which sounded odd for an owner on a forum.
Compared to the cars you have driven I imagine the MG certainly aint quick but I get what you mean. A friend of mine has a pretty much standard Octavia VRS and he rekons its the fastest thing on the planet the way he talks.
As you say you wouldn't be on your 2nd if you didn't like it. What spec etc was your first?
What do we rekon to MG versus Skoda?

stamford
29-10-07, 06:54 PM
I loved my Calibra, even after I had to fit another engine and partially rebuild the one going in, was an absolute SOB to do, not the normal engine out through the top route. I had to drop the whole front end and take it out from underneath. I built up a healthy relationship with Autovaux too!

sduk
29-10-07, 06:57 PM
man this is a long thread........ :D

love my ZS and cant see passed MG's. for all their problems they easily make up for it. Yeah you get a few negative comments but usually from people who you dont care about :)

Southern Storm
29-10-07, 07:00 PM
Within 2 weeks of owning mine I had to replace:
engine
interior
exhaust
cat
clutch cable

Worst £400 quid I ever spent baring in mind I was offered another Scirocco for £300. After forking out for all those bits I couldn't even sell it for £300. Swapped it for a toyota previa, which in turn I swapped for a toyota celica and £100, which I swapped for an Audi A6, which I swapped for a Golf Clipper Cabriolet, Which I swapped for a corrado which paid for half of my MG. All smiles in the end :yes:

Mat C
29-10-07, 07:08 PM
As you say you wouldn't be on your 2nd if you didn't like it. What spec etc was your first?
What do we rekon to MG versus Skoda?

My 1st was a very rare clouor, Copperleaf MK1 saloon. Was absolutely mint. I had a powerflow duplex with 200 cell sports cat on it, a basic induction kit and i had it superchipped. Was a lovely car and sounded awesome ! Beautiful car and it makes me smile to see it still driving around our small town ! :)

Southern Storm
29-10-07, 07:12 PM
Blimey that is gorgeous. Lovely colour. I have been meaning to ask, was the superchip worth it? Only gives about 10 brake doesn't it? Got me thinking about twin exit exhausts now dammit. ahhhhh

Mat C
29-10-07, 07:20 PM
My superchip in my opinion was very worth it ! I got 14 bhp and 14 Lbft of torque. I don't get why people are always slamming them ?!

Southern Storm
29-10-07, 07:32 PM
Thats why i needed to ask someone who experienced it. Damn tempting but not cheap. Prolly worth doing the induction and zorst first i think.

Mat C
29-10-07, 07:35 PM
With my pipes, sports cat and filter i got 183 on the RR at Well Lane Turbo. They Superchipped it and it came out at 197 bhp. I was happy with that !

MGZS55
29-10-07, 08:06 PM
................Yeah you get a few negative comments but usually from people who you dont care about :)

Brill...quote of the week!!:thumbsup:

Southern Storm
30-10-07, 08:17 AM
With my pipes, sports cat and filter i got 183 on the RR at Well Lane Turbo. They Superchipped it and it came out at 197 bhp. I was happy with that !

I would be very happy with that. Hmmmmm induction kit first me thinks.

Dave MGT
30-10-07, 06:42 PM
Thats why i needed to ask someone who experienced it. Damn tempting but not cheap. Prolly worth doing the induction and zorst first i think.

The superchip map is for a std 180. Will give a bit more power and drivability.

If your going to carry out mods, decat, manifolds etc... a dasktek would be the best option but more £££ again. Difference is this will individually map to the cars so you get the most out of every thing.

weagie
30-10-07, 07:45 PM
Is there a general guide to what difference a superchip will make or is purely down to existing mods?

ian zs180
31-10-07, 09:54 PM
your mk1 does look nice mat looks abit like my firefrost red that colour well does in the pics anyway

henocsr
01-11-07, 04:28 PM

Why change something that works?????

ZS out handles the astra H, easy, Astra H has very bad bump steer, and even with TC on it understeers and doesnt turn in very well.

henocsr
01-11-07, 04:34 PM

Driving around a nice smooth track is one thing, put the 888 astra on to a normal british b road and with its rock hard suspension and 18 inch wheels, it will be all over the place, and then turn the tc and esp off, so it is the same as the ZS, and you would see how good the chassis really is, or not as the case will be. i speak from experince