PDA

View Full Version : 180 v6 pro's and con's

chris106
01-05-11, 06:28 PM
im currently looking to buy a zs 180 mrk 2
i am turning 21 soon and the insurance drops massively. I really like to look of the mrk 2's and am wanting something with more power! so can anyone tell me what they thing of theirs?
what are the options for tuning and max power gains?
whats the average mpg...price to fill the tank, i only drive locally and sometimes on the motorway.
any info you want think would be usefull

cheers chris

chris106
01-05-11, 06:29 PM
o and what common problems should i look out for?

big_wasa
01-05-11, 06:57 PM
Hi, I am not being funny but have you tried to get an insurance quote ?

Just knocking around town I get low to mid twenty.

Mr ZS180
01-05-11, 07:00 PM
Great cars. Awesome handling and good power make then a lot of fun to drive.

Tuning for the KV6 engine is a little on the limited side though, remap, decat, induction, although there are a few cheap diy engine conversion options though.

As for average MPG, depends how heavy your foot is ;) . Mine is heavy so cant give you a definitive answer on that!!

Fill the tank?...... Probably around 60 quid. I only do ?30 max to save weight!!

Look into whether the cam belts and water pump and stat have been done on ones that have done a bit of mileage. This is quite an expensive job, but apart from that the engines are damn good to go!!

I love mine to bits. Even when it plays up I still cant seriously think about selling it!

Hope that helps.

Dan1971
01-05-11, 07:04 PM
Firstly - Welcome to the forum. :wave:

There a sticky on here about what to look for - they are great value just now.

You should get 20-22mpg as a minimum with maybe 28-30mpg on a run.

Great cars with a great soundtrack where basic mods - induction and decat - will get you to 190 ish and with a remap pushing 200 ish. Just make sure that the car is running well initiallly (vis motors especially). Any more than that and your talking serious money. The car's about how it feels and sounds - not just the numbers.

Get some quotes though - even at 21- unless your connected in some way to an insurance company or qualify for some major discount - don't expect much change out of ?1500.

fastmike
01-05-11, 08:17 PM
Lets not mention fuel consumption..... I burned ?20 worth in 35 miles today "playing" with a newish Mini Cooper "S"..... I was chuffed they'er around 200 BHP if I remember correctly and supercharged .... although I have no idea of the weight

Bobdope2002
01-05-11, 08:20 PM
like dan said id get an insurance qoute first because the myth that your insurance comes down at 21 is unfortunatley not true or at 25 for that matter

unmodded 180 should do 29mpg IIRC a modded one 20-25mpg maybe less

tank to fill easily ?70 they have a 55 litre tank

if it turns out you can afford one look out for cambelts as they have to be done at 6 years old or 90k which ever comes first and its around ?500 to do......defective Vis valves which cost nothing to replace as theyre easily repairable and a tappy plenum(new ?500 2nd hand anywhere from ?150 to ?250 depends really)

Those are the only problems you get dont listen to anybody who says "oooo ya head gasket gone yet" because they just dont go on the 180 its like a 1 in a milion chance it will

HTH's mate

Bob

big_wasa
01-05-11, 08:45 PM
But look in the "V" for red staining as the stats can weep.

chris106
01-05-11, 09:52 PM
Firstly - Welcome to the forum. :wave:

cheers!
and thanks for all the responses! yeah ive already checked insurance thats why im going ahead been looking at this one:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201113383416305/sort/priceasc/usedcars/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/model/zs/make/mg/page/2/postcode/m146de/radius/40?logcode=p
because as mentioned they are good value and i think this is cheap!!
as for my insurance atm i pay ?1600 for a 1.6 fiat stilo and my quote for the zs when im 21 comes down to ?1400 (?3050 if i get it now at 20) plus im going to get a multi quote with sis so should bring it down more :thumbsup:

Bobdope2002
01-05-11, 10:03 PM
cheers!
and thanks for all the responses! yeah ive already checked insurance thats why im going ahead been looking at this one:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201113383416305/sort/priceasc/usedcars/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/model/zs/make/mg/page/2/postcode/m146de/radius/40?logcode=p
because as mentioned they are good value and i think this is cheap!!
as for my insurance atm i pay ?1600 for a 1.6 fiat stilo and my quote for the zs when im 21 comes down to ?1400 (?3050 if i get it now at 20) plus im going to get a multi quote with sis so should bring it down more :thumbsup:

nice car

WXM Matty
01-05-11, 10:21 PM
If you can afford it go for it!

As for insurance i'm 21 and I can get insured on the 180 for ?200 more than i'm paying for the 120 (?1000) Fully comp

Its costs of fuel and tax that bump the price more compared with the k-series versions

Steves Cleenz
01-05-11, 10:24 PM
nice car

it has no boot!! :tease:

andys1981
01-05-11, 10:34 PM
it has no boot!! :tease:

im the same has to be a salloon for me,in black tho nice find bud

daytona365
01-05-11, 11:39 PM
There are no cons with a ZS180...............Its 100% fun, Im never getting rid of mine, so glad the sunny weather is here, windows down and play around the country lanes:happy::happy::happy:

starfire039
02-05-11, 12:10 AM
If you can afford it go for it!

As for insurance i'm 21 and I can get insured on the 180 for ?200 more than i'm paying for the 120 (?1000) Fully comp

Its costs of fuel and tax that bump the price more compared with the k-series versions

When I hit 21 my insurance did drop alot, and now I hit 22 my insurance went from ?1000 for a 120 to ?750 for a year (or ?600 for 10 months). At 19 my insurance was over ?2k, hence why the only reason I could afford to drive was as a named driver. Sounds good for us young'uns.

I would go for the ZS mate, any day, I've got a 120 and love it, will get a 180 when I can. You only have to browse this forum and attend meets to understand how people here enjoy their cars, and for the price you can get them for now, there really is no alternative if you're after something fast, fun and cheap to buy.

Hambo-180
02-05-11, 07:33 AM
thats a really nice looking 180 your thinking bout buying mate, got a Mk1 5 door 180 in Trophy Blue, its a 52 plate bought it new and love it.

Here's the links to Stamfords very detailed "Thinking of Buying a ZS" guides:-

Its well worth a read...

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11254
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11255
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11326

KevG
02-05-11, 09:19 AM
Love the description, the company has put, half the things dont exist.

SAPPHIRE BLACK METALLIC (Pearl Black), MOT-02-2012. HALF LEATHER INTERIOR TRIM, 17" ELEVEN SPOKE ALLOY WHEELS, DIGITAL CLIMATE CONTROL, DRIVER AND PASSENGER AIRBAGS, DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE AIRBAGS, WITH IMPACT PROTECTION, SEATBELT PRE TENSIONERS (MG ZS's dont have Pre-Tensioners)PROGRAMMABLE RDS RADIO AND CD PLAYER, ANTILOCK BRAKING, SPORTS LEATHER STEERING WHEEL, CHROMELINE INTERIOR TRIM (What is Chromeline Trim?) PHOTOCHROMATIC REARVIEW MIRROR (Never an option on the ZS) DIGITAL CLOCK, DIGITAL DASH (Digital Mileage NOT Dash, it isnt a Mk2 Astra GTE!!!), TWIN EXHAUST, POWER STEERING, BUMPER INTERGRATED SPOTLIGHTS, COMBINATION HEADLAMPS, ALARM AND IMMOBLISER, ADJUSTABLE FRONT HEADRESTS, ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN, DRIVER AND PASSENGER VANITY MIRRORS (Only Passenger Mirror), FULL COLOUR CODING, CLEAR LENSES, HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE HEADLAMPS, HIGH LEVEL BRAKELIGHT, FACTORY SHADED GLASS, REAR SPOILER, RWW, CAT D (Is this previous write Off?)

IMHO Way over priced!!

peterzs
02-05-11, 09:38 AM
Nice looking car.

Cat D, we know they are getting written off if a shopping trolley rolls into them.

Think I would ask if the belts etc have been changed, if not ask if they will knock off the cost, and that's going to be between ?500 to ?900, depending where you go.

Best of luck with getting one.

:wave:

chris106
04-05-11, 11:28 AM
cheers for all the responses! been a good help and i defo no i want on now! :P will have to wait untill im 21 though... been reading lots of threads about the 180 and the problems with the plenium and vis valves are they as common as it seems? and how bad is it? where would you get the oil catch tanks from? and did anybody ever make an upgraded part?

also thinking if i find a cheap 120 i might do the vvc upgrade whats peoples thoughts on that? i did have a zr and loved how revvy the k series was... or is the 180 just as good but of course faster :D

stamford
04-05-11, 12:18 PM
Don't let that put you off. VIS units can be repaired, plenums are a lottery. In six years I have changed mine once and repaired the VIS units. Catch tanks can be bought quite cheaply off ebay. Remember if converting to VVC it'll probably cost you more to buy the parts and insure than buying a standard 180.

Kev, I'm pretty sure you'll find the front inertia seatbelt assemblies are an electrical pre-tensioner type. The reel mechanism has a lock down feature built in as part of the safety circuit. I had to put a resistor in-place to stop the airbag light from coming on when I switched to harnesses.

KevG
04-05-11, 12:22 PM
Kev, I'm pretty sure you'll find the front inertia seatbelt assemblies are an electrical pre-tensioner type. The reel mechanism has a lock down feature built in as part of the safety circuit. I had to put a resistor in-place to stop the airbag light from coming on when I switched to harnesses.
Nah Mick, the ZS doesn't have pre-tensioners, just mechanical lock down rachet.

F3NMG
04-05-11, 02:13 PM
Having owned a VVC coupe for 10 years, i can tell you the power given by V6 engine is so much more satisfying. It's instant, smooth and and you don't find yourself having to rev the nuts off it to appreciate it.
I bought my mk2 180 2 months ago and love it, as does everyone who see's it. It a four door for me all day long tho.

chris106
04-05-11, 05:17 PM
Don't let that put you off. VIS units can be repaired, plenums are a lottery. In six years I have changed mine once and repaired the VIS units. Catch tanks can be bought quite cheaply off ebay. Remember if converting to VVC it'll probably cost you more to buy the parts and insure than buying a standard 180.

Cool cheers for clearing that...
And defo sounds like a 180 for me then :D what was the indicator light you mentioned installing? Read it in another thread

chris106
04-05-11, 05:19 PM
Having owned a VVC coupe for 10 years, i can tell you the power given by V6 engine is so much more satisfying. It's instant, smooth and and you don't find yourself having to rev the nuts off it to appreciate it.
I bought my mk2 180 2 months ago and love it, as does everyone who see's it. It a four door for me all day long tho.

Sounds sweet can't wait 2 get 1. Yours a saloon or hatch ?

chris106
04-05-11, 09:56 PM
anyone know if this was anyone's from the forum?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-54-MG-ZS-2-5-180-Bhp-X-Power-ONLY-ONE-OWNER-/220778067366?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item336765f5a6#ht_1467wt_1139
and is it a good price or abit on the expensive side

Maxfly
04-05-11, 10:19 PM
Seems familiar that does. Few nice touches on it, duplex zorst, induction looks to be ITG!??!, Xpower knob, Black Oak/Painted dash, Rover 45 vents. Wheels are ok but prefer oe 11 spokes, coolant may be wrong spec but nice mileage though it should still have had it's belts changed as it is past 6 years old:) Personally i would be happy to pay that price after having a good poke around it and finding it sounds, though drivers seat looks well pumped on the bolster as per:)

stamford
05-05-11, 07:23 AM
Is it me or is the coolant in that 180 incorrect spec? Looks to be the old type not OAT. That would set alarm bells ringing for me, if the belts and pump have been changed then was it done right? If the mechanic can't pop in the right spec coolant what else is wrong?

stamford
05-05-11, 07:26 AM
Cool cheers for clearing that...
And defo sounds like a 180 for me then :D what was the indicator light you mentioned installing? Read it in another thread

Info here:
http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=16673

Dan1971
05-05-11, 08:09 AM
anyone know if this was anyone's from the forum?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-54-MG-ZS-2-5-180-Bhp-X-Power-ONLY-ONE-OWNER-/220778067366?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item336765f5a6#ht_1467wt_1139
and is it a good price or abit on the expensive side

I think it looks good, but, decent Mk2s are changing hands for around the ?2500 mark especially where the belts need doing. If the wheels are for you then fair enough, but a set of standard 11 spokes will cost you a few quid if you want to return to standard. The mods that appear to have been done are good mods and most would like them, but, don't let a trader tell you that it adds value. It's actually a bargaining tool for you - even if it's not actually true - to tell the seller that you're after a standard car - and it'll cost you to return it to standard. You never know !

I can't see the size but the tyres do look very low profile, so they may be 18s. Often, myself included, when tyres need replacing a wheel and tyre package is attractive as you can sell the 11 spokes on and they will nearly pay for themselves. Trouble is they do come with very cheap tyres. If you go for a look, make sure you're happy with them in terms of ride from the 18s and the quality of the tyres.

F3NMG
05-05-11, 09:01 AM
Sounds sweet can't wait 2 get 1. Yours a saloon or hatch ?

Mine's a 4 door in xpower grey. The biggest decision for me was colour. Glad I went for what I did, but i'm now sure I wouldn't have been disappointed with any colour. Go for alcantara if you can, looks the biz. Be patient too, sooner or later
you'll spot one just for you.

chris106
05-05-11, 09:05 PM
What would that mean about the coolant then?
I do like it, would change to oe wheels love those! Just want one with a few nice more like this so I don't spend all my money again lol was already reading about a manifold group buy :p

Maxfly
05-05-11, 09:10 PM
What would that mean about the coolant then?
I do like it, would change to oe wheels love those! Just want one with a few nice more like this so I don't spend all my money again lol was already reading about a manifold group buy :p

Normally coolant is pink/red and it should be Organic Acid Technology (OAT) as this is what was specified by MG:) You can get blue/green OAT coolant but I doubt it is tbh:)

stamford
06-05-11, 07:26 AM
The green/blue coloured anti-freeze is an older specification and has poorer corrosion inhibitors and is only good for around 2-3 years max. If left too long in an aluminium engine it will actually corrode it from the inside. Generally found in cast block engines and heads. The red/pink coloured coolant called OAT (organic acid technology) is a different concoction and does not have any of the silicons or phosphates that can lead to corrosion. The can be good for several thousand miles and 4 years of use. Therefore the KV6 should have OAT spec as it is all aluminium and as stated in the owners handbook.