PDA

View Full Version : Engine knock

marts66
08-05-11, 03:03 PM
Damn and blast it, just when I thought things were going well. My engine has just developed a rather loud knocking noise which from the speed of it and the noise, sounds like a piston. So I'm going to have to forgo the T16 conversion as I won't have the time nor money to source the bits. Think I might go down the 160vvc route, anyone have a 'How to' for this conversion, or a comprehensive parts needed list. I'm going to get a complete engine as if my bottom end has gone I might as well, I know I need loom and ECU and fobs, owt else?

starfire039
08-05-11, 05:02 PM
I think there's a guide either here or on XPF. I'm thinking about this too, be certain that the main block has a fault first, as the blocks are the same on the 120 and 160. If anyone can recall I had a "clacking" noise that I feared was piston slap, but turned out to be a noisy tensioner, and the noise went when a new one was put on when I had a cambelt change. Piston slap is pretty uncommon on K series engines, so try and find the cause before you buy anything you might not need to.

For the record, did you notice a difference with the TF cams? Does it take the engine to 135 spec pretty much, with the 52mm TB? How much did it cost?

marts66
09-05-11, 04:31 PM
Well it's been confirmed as little end bearings. Never heard of these going. So looks like I'll be in the market for a 160vvc lump and bits. Going to try Adrian @ AA Autosport and see what he says :(

FYO Starfire, yes I did notice a difference, revved cleaner and smoother and it seemed to increase the torque some too, nice mod and cheap ponies. Might have set of cams coming up for sale soon.

marts66
11-05-11, 08:21 PM
Had yet another opinion and this one says lifters, so going to whip cam cover off friday and have a prod of them to see if I can find a weak one................... it can be very lonely on here sometimes :horse:

peterzs
11-05-11, 08:34 PM
Sorry, I've got a derv and it sounds like a tractor at the best of times.

Would never hear a piston slap, little or big end rattle or lifters.

Must admit, that's all outside the car, inside cant hear anything, unless my hearings going!!!!

I always put an oil additive in when I do an oil change, STP, don't know if they would help free off sticky lifters, might be worth ?6 or so to bung some in.

:gathering::gathering::gathering: we are around.:laugh::laugh:

stamford
12-05-11, 07:50 AM
Sorry to hear you are having problems, hope the diagnosis is right. Don't hear many that fail on the bottom end. These things always come at the wrong time.

ramdonice
12-05-11, 09:17 AM
do an oil change and use diesel oil as it has more of a cleaning act to it as diesel need it should un stick anything that stuck

marts66
12-05-11, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure whether it's a sticking lifter or it's gone weak as it's quiet when cold and the noise comes on once it's warmed up. Been quoted 1k from Adrian for a complete conversion for a vvc engine with new head gasket and warrantied engine, ecu, fobs coded and loom. The only thing I'd have to buy is a downpipe.
I have considered selling and buying another car but what would I get for the price of mine and another 1k which would put as big a grin on my face as a ZS? Not much really, plus I know this car inside out as I've had it coming up to 6 years now. Decisions decisions (although I think I've already made it).

starfire039
12-05-11, 09:52 PM
Thanks mart, letting me know that a conversion was available for a grand. Because if I get my contract extended over summer I will be getting one. My insurance company, wallet and girlfriend hate you! :D

stamford
13-05-11, 07:29 AM
Sounds like a good deal to me marts, if that were me in that position I think I would consider the change. I still believe the vvc 160 was the missing link in the ZS range and they should have made the 180 a 200 to create a real stir when launched.

starfire039
13-05-11, 06:19 PM
Mart- was that price inclusive of the main engine block? I've left a voicemail for Adrian. As the VVC uses the same block as the non VVC I would hope that he could source just the head and cams, and would reduce the price for me a bit. I'm prepared to spend ?1k on a conversion, looking how much a T16 conversion would be however. If it's not a lot more I'll go for that.

EDIT:

The VVC inlet is different, I believe? What about the mani? Jay, if you're about- did you get a VVC mani or inlet on your 120? I would have thought the down pipe would be identical on both engines.

marts66
14-05-11, 01:38 PM
The price was for a complete engine with new headgasket. I believe the pistons are different in the 120 to the 160 to take the higher redline (7,100), loom, ecu fobs...everything mate apart from downpipe and throttle body.

starfire039
14-05-11, 03:06 PM
Upon speaking to Adrian that is correct. I assumed (incorrectly) I could just have a VVC head, cams, wiring, manifold etc and keep the existing block and pistons. Adrian reckons that for ?1500 you could have a T series, only problem is sourcing a quality engine due to their age.

Is Adrian supplying the engine and all the parts for you, or do you have to find them? He was reluctant to supply parts for the T16 conversion for me, because if something goes wrong he doesn't want the finger pointed at him, which is fair enough. This concerns me slightly as it suggests he's been in that situation before, and the T16s are getting to a stage where they are too old and may start proving unreliable.

marts66
16-05-11, 06:20 PM
He has an engine there waiting to be rebuilt which he was going to fit and I don't bloody need now as I've FIXED MINE. I know I should be happy about this but I was looking forward to a new engine which I can't justify spending money on now.