PDA

View Full Version : Viewing a 180

shcKr-
13-05-11, 07:41 AM
Hi all,
I'm going to look at an MG ZS 180 over the weekend, the garage said that it had limited service history and was unsure if the belts have been done.
I know this is a punt as it's a pricey change but I will try and get the guy down on the price. The car does seem looked after but of course you can never be sure.

Below is a list of the things I think I should be checking, if anyone has any notes or additions please let me know :)

? Rattling from the inlet when idling
? Any water in the spare wheel area
? Dampness on the passenger floor
? Increase in power at 3,000 revs

Also, a rough price on getting the belts done would be great :D

Dan1971
13-05-11, 08:32 AM
Off the top of my head -

Make sure the fans work on all settings.
If it has the extreme spoiler, make sure the boot stays open.
Check the coolant levels.
Check the tyres match and they should be 205 45 17 NOT 40s as they are the cheaper option. (I know as I've just had 4 fitted ! )
If it's a Mk2 check the handles. They break easily and are a pian to rectify.
If it's a Mk2 check the rear bumper for gaps where it meets the body. Again - can be fixed if the gaps are big, but it's a bargaining tool.

Budget ?450-?500 for belts and if the seller can't prove they've been done, assume they haven't. We all know how costly they are and if we've had them done we retain proof.

When you drive it, you should feel/hear the engine pick up at 3K revs. If it doesn't there will be an issue with the VIS motor - ?100 for a new one or a DIY refurb. Another bargaining tool.

Good luck !

stamford
13-05-11, 11:03 AM
I would also check the clutch actuation and biting point. Do a visual check on the slave cylinder and its mounting bracket. If a mk2 check the condition of the underside for corrosion which is mostly the fuel tank, or indeed if the previous owner has treated it. If they refuse to budge on price assuming there is no evidence of a belt change walk away as their word for it is worthless unless they are offering a no quibble warranty for at least 12 months or covering the period until the next change is due. No chance in hell that will happen but worth it for the response you will get! ?500 is alot money and dictates a sale or not, if it lets go then it'll be a few hundred for another engine.

MG ZS STE
13-05-11, 12:31 PM
Give us a bit more info. How much does the garage want. What mileage? Spec, seats, TM, parking sensors, aftermarket exhaust. You can get nicely speced ones at the moment with belts done for [i hate saying this] peanuts!

shcKr-
13-05-11, 07:34 PM
Give us a bit more info. How much does the garage want. What mileage? Spec, seats, TM, parking sensors, aftermarket exhaust. You can get nicely speced ones at the moment with belts done for [i hate saying this] peanuts!

The garage are asking for ?1500
Full spec I think - red kidney seats, AC, extreme spoiler, front lip spoiler
no parking sensors
stainless steel exhaust

Sadly, I'm in a predicament where I would need a garage to P/X my existing ZS 120+

big_wasa
13-05-11, 08:15 PM
Take a torch and shine it the V near the throttle body. You are looking for red stains and crusty deposits around the thermostat housing.

They weep and its another one of them pita jobs.

shcKr-
13-05-11, 09:41 PM
Take a torch and shine it the V near the throttle body. You are looking for red stains and crusty deposits around the thermostat housing.

They weep and its another one of them pita jobs.

Hey mate, thanks for the advice.
But where abouts am I looking?

talkingcars
13-05-11, 10:44 PM
Under the engine cover.

A rattle at idle may only be the purge valve and not a problem but could be used to bargin.

big_wasa
14-05-11, 08:25 AM
You can see it through the engine lifting eye near the throttle body and the timing belt cover. You will need a torch. You are looking for red staines and crusty deposites. Kit is about ?70 but then there is the fitting. Do a search its another common fault with the kv6.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq148/big_wasa/123.jpg

shcKr-
14-05-11, 12:08 PM
Well I just got back from viewing the ZS..
All I can say is that it was a mess :P It looks like it hadn't moved for a while either as the brake discs had plenty of rust on and had 2 flat tyres.

Issues being:
- Small dent on the drivers side wing
- Rattling from the inlet when idling
- Spare wheel well had a lot of rust in it and the carpet was damp
- No spare wheel or jack
- Ripspeed open code fitted
- Rusty calipers all round
- Boot did not stay open (hitting me in the head!)
- Bonnet release cable didn't work, meaning I had to get someone to lift the bonnet when I lifted the cable.
- Using the key on the boot only worked after 5 times of trying

big_wasa
14-05-11, 12:13 PM
Run, Run away. These are so cheap at the moment dont settle for a crap one.

Dan1971
14-05-11, 12:18 PM
Shame when that happens. There's probably a decent car underneath but it's only worth a few hundred quid.

Why dealers allow cars to get in that state, I do not know. :chair:

Dan1971
14-05-11, 01:55 PM
This has got to be a better shout .....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-MG-ZS-2-5-180-BLUE-ONLY-5200-MILES-STUNNING-/290562484934?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43a6dfaac6

shcKr-
14-05-11, 02:18 PM
This has got to be a better shout .....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-MG-ZS-2-5-180-BLUE-ONLY-5200-MILES-STUNNING-/290562484934?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43a6dfaac6

That car is gorgeous!!
But my problem is that I already own a ZS 120+ so I'd need a PX or anyone to swap.. Selling a ZS 120+ is difficult to say the least..