PDA

View Full Version : selling advise

jamesc777
17-05-11, 09:59 AM
As some of you will know i have sid up for sale and i have had some interest so for but i guy asked me for some details, condition, service histry etc and then sent this email back, im a bit unsure it sound dodgy to me.

'Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for my son and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Military been in camp in for some time and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the price so i can make the payments
asap for it and please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick i after i have made the payments.I hope to read back from you soon'

any thoughts and advise would be great. thanks

idge2003
17-05-11, 10:12 AM
I would firstly go onto the Paypal site and check to see if there may be any reason they could take the funds back off you after you've had them as if I remember correctly once you put in to transfer the money to your bank account it takes a few days to happen!

Also make sure it's paid as a gift otherwise you will lose about 4% I think!

Brett

Leigh_EvoIX
17-05-11, 10:12 AM
SCAM... Beware!

Leigh_EvoIX
17-05-11, 10:14 AM
http://www.suite101.com/content/car-buying-scam-using-paypal-a215956

jamesc777
17-05-11, 10:18 AM
thats that sorted thanks, another spam/scam email to add to the pile that just keeps getting bigger.

ZS
17-05-11, 10:19 AM
What Leigh said... stear clear!!

big_wasa
17-05-11, 10:50 AM
Classic scam wording.

caled
17-05-11, 10:55 AM
Aye, as above, a known scam. Just make it cash on collection only, its not like you're going to post the car, so paypal is completely unnecessary.

stamford
17-05-11, 12:12 PM
I would ask them for a holding deposit of say ?250 to clear before completion. I have heard of some 'victims' turning the tables and actually sucking the scammer in and making them part with cash and then go tell them to 'do one'. I'm sure if you asked for a holding deposit you will not hear from them again anyway. I don't even like accepting cash tbh, go straight to a bank to deposit it with them so the money can be verified as clean. Otherwise bank transfer until cleared.

p_b82
17-05-11, 12:15 PM
makes me laugh with these things, that a fairly well written response to more complicated parts to an email gets signed off:

"hope to read back from you soon"

If it was full of spelling errors or the like i would be more understading, but the first thing i thought when reading that was 'scam' just as well i was right - i am even more suspicious after nearly being scammed by a mr brakewell a few years ago :)

As said i would not accept anything other than cash upfront; my bother in law borrowed a uv light when he sold one of his cars and checked every-note, bit extreme that tho mind!

tho not as extreme as marching them to the bank :)

Bank transfers can be reversed even after they have cleared - it is another scam method...

Jem
17-05-11, 12:47 PM
Yea its a scam,Ive had the same kind of replys when ive been selling stuff,When ever i think its a scam i reply saying something like ive got so many things for sale can you remind me what advert you saw,If its for real they will get back to you.

The thing that gives it away is when he is saying: if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick i after i have made the payments.I hope to read back from you soon.

Also if i think its a scam i will say where are you from because i can travel to you,When ive said things like that ive never got anything back.

jamesc777
17-05-11, 02:13 PM
seems a common one looking around, i went with the responce, sorry car sold. couldnt be bothered to waist more time on scammers. cheers for all the advice and comments.
heres one to abuse me with, im 27 and off to look at an auto volvo s80, do i pick up my pipe and slippers now or do i save myself by saying its a 2.8 twin turbo T6..... :rofl:

stamford
17-05-11, 03:40 PM
............with a 'Swift' 4 berth fitted as standard? ;)

jamesc777
17-05-11, 04:42 PM
not yet but who knows :laugh: