PDA

View Full Version : My shaft is buzzin!

ZS Phil
02-06-11, 08:55 PM
Evening

My diesel ZS with 113,000 miles has started to make quite a loud rattle from the gear stick area. I have removed the trim and the two rubber boots and seen that there is a small amount of play between the ball on the gear stick and the bush it sits in.

Do you think this is what is causing the sound? (Particularly loud in 4th gear yet silent in 5th).

Also would replacing this part cure the problem do you think? http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-BNP9018 (part 12 on this diagram: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ImagePop...x?i=GRID003582)

Finally, when removing the old bush can it be done from inside the car or will i have to dismantle the whole lot from underneath?

Any help would be really appreciated, cheers.

starfire039
02-06-11, 09:02 PM
lol @ topic title

petet16
02-06-11, 09:07 PM
You'll have to remove the bolt from underneath that attaches the lever to the linkage, and then the rest can be done from inside the car.

p_b82
02-06-11, 09:25 PM
is it worth checking the linkage underneath - not sure whether the bit you posted is part of that (the 2nd url seemed to be broken too)

i know that the UJ's often seem to wear and people have used older parts as they are beefier and made custom ones up etc...

ZS Phil
02-06-11, 09:27 PM
You'll have to remove the bolt from underneath that attaches the lever to the linkage, and then the rest can be done from inside the car.

Cheers Pete, I guess its worth a shot as it is the main place of contact with the stick. Sod it, im just going to go for it and hope its the bush thats worn and not the ball on the shaft.

ZS Phil
02-06-11, 09:32 PM
is it worth checking the linkage underneath - not sure whether the bit you posted is part of that (the 2nd url seemed to be broken too)

i know that the UJ's often seem to wear and people have used older parts as they are beefier and made custom ones up etc...

To be honest Ive not been underneath but my logic for assuming that the UJ is not causing the rattle is that the rattle can be stopped by applying gentle pressure to the knob. I have seen threads on "the other forum" about custom UJs off ford fiesta steering colums and allsorts but I want to try and not go down that route if I can help it, looks like a fair bit of work :(.

p_b82
02-06-11, 09:35 PM
yeah fair enough...i guess if you have got a sloppy leaver (oh err) you would notice it more than just in 4th in fairness...

was just a thought that came to mind as a possible cause was all....

ZS Phil
02-06-11, 09:46 PM
actually I think it was a good shout, Ill have a propper look and see exactly what is worn so that I can do the job on one go rather than messing about. Thanks again for the help chaps, Ill let you know how I get on.

Steves Cleenz
02-06-11, 10:17 PM
if the UJ is worn (which is probally is) all you have to do is drill the old bit out and replace it with a slightly wider nut and bolt, this then takes the play out of it, did this on my tomcat turbo as they have the same bit underneath