PDA

View Full Version : 180 inlet manifold

fastmike
04-06-11, 09:41 AM
Does anyone have pics of the inside of the 180 inlet manifold please ?

I,m particularly interested in the butterflys and all the crap internal linkages includeing what ever the linkages/rods etc are supported with

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=54886&highlight=180+inlet+manifold+repair ok , this is what I was after

starfire039
04-06-11, 11:38 AM
If you're looking at repairing the plenums the hurdle we are all at is resealing. If you have the tools/ideas to reseal airtight then you're on to a big winner. I think the best way moving forward is to use Sheddists modified actuator arm system and find a way to reseal.

fastmike
04-06-11, 12:24 PM
Fortunatley I dont need to worry ( at the moment) thou its only a matter of time....I,m going to look into this thou for the future

starfire039
04-06-11, 02:19 PM
I'm going to do some research into some adhesives and test it out. I'm going to get in touch with a couple of engineers at Philips, and see if they have any ideas...

can anyone confirm, the specific type of plastic the plenum is made of is Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)?

starfire039
04-06-11, 02:27 PM
If it's ABS, could we not mix some extra ABS with acetone and then use that solution to bond the plenum back together? I know acetone dissolves plastic, but if you mix abs with acetone and keep it sealed, let it mix and turn to a sludge, once it's exposed to air it should dissolve the ABS it comes in contact with slightly and then fuse, it is chemically bonding and should be as solid as they get. This isn't hard to do?

caled
04-06-11, 04:46 PM
The acetone and the ABS is pretty much what I wanted to try out, that and seeing how difficult it is to split open in the first place.

Or alternatively, something like this:

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/651856_front500.jpg

petet16
04-06-11, 05:01 PM
Looking at the pic of the plenum the cover plate appears to be bolted/screwed on as well as being sealed, would it not be possible to use a sikaflex type sealant and use studs and nuts to re-attach the cover plate.

I might have to get a old plenum and have a dabble with it.

big_wasa
04-06-11, 05:15 PM
I love Nigel aka shedists work and have one of his clutch hydraulic kits.

But I can not get my head around so many nuts bolts and washers floating around in above the valve train. If one of them split pins fails the engine will be toast.

caled
04-06-11, 05:33 PM
But I can not get my head around so many nuts bolts and washers floating around in above the valve train. If one of them split pins fails the engine will be toast.

That had crossed my mind, too.
I wonder how difficult it would be to try and get a mold of the plastic arm and get a new one cast out of ABS plastic...

KevG
04-06-11, 06:53 PM
looks like the plenum is made from GRP

Jay-ZS+
04-06-11, 07:26 PM
In that case reckon Silkaflex is the easiest way, should with stand the engine temps that would be my only concern.

starfire039
05-06-11, 12:04 PM
I think we should find out exactly what it is to save ruining a test plenum incase a certain method of bonding doesn't work. I'm going to try and contact Mann and Hummel (who made the plenum) to find out, I know Mick tried to get in touch but had no joy, but we'll see. Their website doesn't even appear to work at the moment so not a good start!

starfire039
05-06-11, 12:06 PM
Right- got through to someone, aware it's a sunday and there wasn't the right person in, but I should be able to find out tomorrow and perhaps get somewhere.

Ritchy
05-06-11, 12:12 PM
what about that araldite bonding stuff, its pretty sticky! either that or some chewing gum

fastmike
05-06-11, 12:14 PM
Right- got through to someone, aware it's a sunday and there wasn't the right person in, but I should be able to find out tomorrow and perhaps get somewhere.

Hmmmmmm.... Steve ask if they'er prepared to deal with us direct as regards selling them .... as an organisation can we do this ?

starfire039
05-06-11, 01:37 PM
@ ritchy- Araldite doesn't bond with thermoplastics so won't work with ABS for sure, or if the plastic is GRP I doubt it would work either. Best to use the Acetone method as it chemically bonds the plastic together for a solid airtight seal.

@ fastmike- will do, although I suspect they've not had the equipment to manufacturer a KV6 plenum for a while now. If they do we would most likely have to organise a bulk order... this was something I was going to ask them. If there's a possibility I'll sort it :)

If there's any chance I can get hold of the actuator arms, that may help. When I find out for definate the material and can get some suitable bonding, it means that a repair of a plenum would be extremely cheap, providing they don't get cheeky with the arms, if they have any!

It would be great if we could get replacement arms, removal and refitting of the plenum is doable by anyone with a pair of hands, the ability to follow instructions and a socket set + a torx bit (of a size I can't remember, probably t20 but don't quote me!).

Regardless, if you can reseal your plenum it would mean you could maintain it and clean the oil out, and find a suitable lube for the joints to keep things sweet. If you did it every year then you'd probably have a plenum for life anyway.

daytona365
05-06-11, 03:26 PM
This sounds like it could get useful. If we could get any remade, it would be a be blessing, especially with so many V6's still on the road, in various Rover based vehicles.......

big_wasa
05-06-11, 09:40 PM
I would be up for an arm or repair kit .

stamford
06-06-11, 10:07 AM
A while ago I did try to get through to M&H with a view to obtaining the actuator arms as I have a way of getting into the rear chamber to enable a quick and easy replacement. As stated they were not forthcoming with any help. If we can get the arm then it is a way of a cheap fix until such time it wears again.

starfire039
06-06-11, 05:01 PM
Progress.

This is what it's made of: www.basf.com.br/PSMLoad.dll?id=2280&usage=501

Material code pa66 gf35. The engineer at Philips is going to assist in resealing this bad boy. I got a call back from M&H suprisingly, I have a contact that possibly worked on the plenum when it was produced. I'll see if I can get any leftovers, highly unlikely though but if you don't ask you don't get! But with the material code (that is actually printed on the plenum) a suitable method of bonding will be possible to select. If we've got replacement arms- we should be good to go!