PDA

View Full Version : Biggest annoyance with your ZS

Southern Storm
30-10-07, 10:41 PM
Right. We love our motors and maybe even their quirky little habits. Sleek styling, lusty sounding engines and a proud heritage.
But what bugs you about it?
Its between 2 things for me.
1. At the slightest site of rain my car steams up faster than your average rusty mondeo at the local red light district. :evilmad:
2. The boot won't stay up with that spoiler on it if I am parked on even the slightest of uphill gradients. The lump on my head proves this :(
So what do you love to hate about your ZS? :hmmm:

sduk
30-10-07, 10:59 PM
I have a rattle by my passenger airbag, cannot find the cause of it and it bugs the hell out of me! had the glove box and airbag out but cant see whats loose lol.

apart from that I love it :D

Smokey
31-10-07, 12:27 AM
1. the amount of flies and other road crap that hits my windscreen...seems to be far more than with the Punto even at similar speeds...like the windscreen is to horitontal or something.
2. no rear windscreen wiper
3. rattle in similar place to Sammy
probably other things but I love it to bits..

Mat C
31-10-07, 06:29 AM
The 30 second immobiliser trip-out. Does my head in.

Having to take out the arch liner to replace an indicator bulb , that's an easy roadside repair isn't it - NOT !

Same goes for the passenger side headlight bulbs. You have to move the battery to get to it.

Boot carpet and lining that you wouldn't lay in a hostel with crappy fastenings to match.

General lack of storage areas especialy in the rear.

stamford
31-10-07, 07:20 AM
My only negative is the ill fitting boot liner around the rear light clusters.

Oh and the steering lock of course, how could I forget that one! :laugh:

KevG
31-10-07, 07:39 AM
Yeah Mike, The Steering to do a simple u turn you need the a least a 3 mile wide bit in the road to do so, how crap is that, also the 3 point turns too, they turn into 6 or in some cases 9 if my misses is driving!!!
The rear N/S brake/disc that decides to squeals when reversing, even tho, new disks and pads are on!!!

Maxxed_Ross
31-10-07, 08:09 AM
1. The imobiliser on mine seems super sensitive, on the ZR you could just press 'unlock' again and that would work, but on the ZS you need to turn off the ignition and lock the car again first!

2. virtually no storage cubby holes apart from the arm rest. I really miss all the handy holders in the ZR

3. No rear wiper, makes reversing in the rain fun

4. the heavy spoiler problem, my boot won't stay open either

5. All the guff in the way of the back of the headlights. I had to change a sidelight bulb on the passenger side and almost couldn't get to it!

6. The funny 'blown gasket' noise that comes from under the dash somewhere. I think a gromit is missing in the bulkhead but damned if I can find it!

7. position of the interior light - in that it gives no light what-so-ever to the back seats at night

**edit**

8. Almost forgot about the crazy high clutch peddel, what is that all about???

9. the icons for moving the seats on mine seem to be back to front. The icon that looks like height adjustment is actually for forward and back! The passenger seat looks like it only has height adjustment! Weird!

nothin2lose
31-10-07, 08:25 AM
I've had mine 6 months now ( at least ) & want another one but the negatives of this ( 40 k ) car are:-

Rattles as people state, but I knew about these before buying the car through reading up about them, ( plus with the music on they're barely noticable )

the Fact I can't fit a full spare tyre in the hole in the boot

It makes me drive like an idiot sometimes( cuz i like it so much )

Still think theres only a small amount of legroom in the back

No sunroof is bad , & air con leaks so no use refilling it again after wasting 35 quid last time for it only to work 2 days.

I had my ZS as my screensaver at work, ( as i'm trying to convert my team to liking them that was sorta working ) my manager comes down & starts taking the **** "A ROVER as your background no wonder the pc is running slow if you have a ROVER as your background" I gave him a good argument for my car but I found out he fancies jeremy clarkson so I know I'll never convince him.

No gimmicks, its a no frills car imo, my friends cars of the same age ( 52 reg ) all have gadgets that tell you thinks or do things for you & mine basically drives & tells the time , sometimes I want something a little more gimmicky...... ( does the mark2 have any btw )

Steves Cleenz
31-10-07, 08:37 AM
the things i hate about my ZS are:

as soon as you hit 90mph the sunroof starts whistle and then you have to mess around with it so it stops

again the carpet round the rear lights

electric window control switches (why aint they all together?) and that switch that turns them off even the passenger one ?

arwilson80
31-10-07, 08:38 AM
The lack of power. :angel:

...and the front splitter being too low. I'm forever scrapting it on some of the slopes coming out of car parks.

Oh and the amount of fuel it drinks.

and a few of the other things that have been mentioned - passenger headlight bulb (had to do both headlights within a week of each other), Bootliner & steering lock.

Smokey
31-10-07, 08:45 AM
I love the fact that one complaint is no sun roof....the other is the sunroof whistling!
Everyone has different niggles but the majority of the ones I have I knew were there beforehand as I signed up to forums a year before buying!
The mk2, by the way, has no more toys to speak of so its something you will need to add yourself I'm afraid!

nothin2lose
31-10-07, 08:51 AM
I love the fact that one complaint is no sun roof....the other is the sunroof whistling!
Everyone has different niggles but the majority of the ones I have I knew were there beforehand as I signed up to forums a year before buying!
The mk2, by the way, has no more toys to speak of so its something you will need to add yourself I'm afraid!

I was tempted to buy the R45 connie because it had more toys than the ZS ( lol@me ) MPG reader, heated seats, climate control etc basically i think it was a R75. However I was told ZS+ has top spec, so I buy it & realise after the AIR con doesnt work, this one doesn't have the 180 body kit ( or ATOMIX one ) when I looked at one with & I DIDNT NOTICE till after.... which is why I m looking at a MK2 115 Diesel ( possibly )

Southern Storm
31-10-07, 09:33 AM
Blimey, remind me again why we like them?
Have to agree lack of rear wiper is a pain. Forgot how useful it was. Turning circle is ok considering most of my cars have been like it. Glad i'm not the only one with a rediculously high pedal.
Haven't had to change any bulbs yet but now dreading it. lol

Smokey
31-10-07, 10:15 AM
I changed fron main and sidelights and rear brake ones with no real hassles...but then my Punto is bad as the battery is jammed up against one so was easier in comparison!

RalphG
31-10-07, 12:07 PM
2. The boot won't stay up with that spoiler on it if I am parked on even the slightest of uphill gradients. The lump on my head proves this :(

You need to replace the boot lid spring with the correct one for the large spoiler, part number BMK160060.

My sunroof makes a noise above 40mph unless I have the cover pulled all the way forward.

Southern Storm
31-10-07, 01:19 PM
Shouldn't it have had this from standard?

StevieA ZS120
31-10-07, 01:49 PM
i only have a couple of grumbles bout my zs
1)squeaky front brakes
2)shitty headunit
3)cracked surround on my heated rear screen button

and that about it i have no rattles or anything else bothering me at the moment (touch wood) love my car to bits

mrt_04
31-10-07, 02:15 PM
Love to drive my ZS, but yeah...turning circle of the Titanic & need most of Sainsbury's car park for parking!!!

Rattles, have 2 under the dash somewhere, *uck*** annoying!!!!

Reading your comments.......& yes last night my passenger headlight blew........engine out, battery out, n/s wing off, just to replace a bulb!!!!!!!!!!!:dumbells:

Oh well, still love the ZS though (Mk.2 180)..it's unique!!!!! :yes:

Boot Hill Bandit
31-10-07, 03:32 PM
I hate the plenum and I hate the fact that tuning the engine is expensive for not much gains.

Personal hates....

Dents eveywhere (roof, bonnet, boot, c pilar, doors and bumpers), scratches everywhere (every bloody panel has one somewhere :rofl: ), rear bumper that seems too wide for the car and is sagging badly, panel gaps that are out of place generally, not much headroom unless you shimmy your bum to the front of the seat (I managed to cover all those hundreds of miles comfortably enough though)

I don't think there is much wrong with the ZS generally.......there are plenty of really crap cars out there before you even look at MG Rover.

If I didn't have a ZS I would almost have certainly got myself a MGF 160 Trophy instead and sorted that out for trackdays but the ZS seemed more sensible at the time (now spent more than £7000 on it in less than a year :slap: )

Smitten Jim

grimmy
31-10-07, 04:57 PM
Not got a grumble with the car got grumbles with fuds who keep calling it a Rover

weagie
31-10-07, 06:22 PM
Love my zs but i keep forgeting to keep the drivers window fully closed when its raining or it pours in. maybe they deflecter things might be an idea, if a bit naff!

finchy
31-10-07, 08:57 PM
my biggest problem is it not a 180:(, but at least it not a 110:p

Leasky
31-10-07, 10:31 PM
my boot rattling

rbull51
01-11-07, 06:57 PM
Overall i love my ZS but
1)the one touch drivers window switch, only goes down in one unless you press up again when you want to stop it

2)have a small water leak in boot

3)a tappety rattle on the engine (told it is whats known as 'piston slap?)

apart from that its all good!

does anybody else have this mysterious rattle on their engine?

finchy
01-11-07, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=rbull51;21450]Overall i love my ZS but
1)the one touch drivers window switch, only goes down in one unless you press up again when you want to stop it

does anybody else have this mysterious rattle on their engine?[/Q

does the tapping happen allthe time?

StevieA ZS120
01-11-07, 09:18 PM
[quote=rbull51;21450]Overall i love my ZS but

does anybody else have this mysterious rattle on their engine?[/Q

does the tapping happen allthe time?
does the rattle sound like its coming from the vis valves/plenum sort of direction

mattie007
01-11-07, 09:20 PM
Just a few bugs with mine:

Rattle from passenger seatbelt area and from passenger airbag.

Lack of soundproofing around doors and wheelarches (fixing soon!)

Lack of skirts and xtreme spoiler (also fixing soon! I hope!)

Bumper gaps (front sorted, rear to do)

Something broken or rattling in steering column?! :chop:

Tappetty engine

Downpipe rattle

Think thats it!! :punk:

The Phantom
02-11-07, 01:14 PM
On both cars - The Ark Royal sized turning circle. Tendancies to not demist in winter

The MK1 - The fact that I managed to tear a hole in the drivers bolster with my jeans. How quickly my exhaust corroded. That's about it.

The MK2 - The diesel engine. Or more specifically the poor quality of construction. Lots of little niggles not the least the exploding timing belt.

michaelb
02-11-07, 01:44 PM
lack of after-market modifications when compared to other cars.

sagging rear bumpers on the mk2's is annoying too!

can't say i've noticed any rattles in either my 45 or ZS though!!

Zippy Saloon
02-11-07, 07:56 PM
The one thing that really does pee me off is the amount of water that comes out of everywhere when you are leathering it off. Must be about half a pint around each door handle.

mattie007
02-11-07, 09:44 PM
One more, the harsh ride around the crappy roads in my town. :shoot2:

affmabus
03-11-07, 01:45 PM
agree with all of, apart from my boot, it stays open :s anyway they just seem a little cheap and nasty on the inside sometimes, loose door handles, rattling noises, bits n bobs breaking off in your hand, quality could be better dare i say it