PDA

View Full Version : Inlet Manifold Issues on V6

CyrixDes
10-06-11, 11:43 AM
Hi all

Im off to look at a ZS180 tomorrow, are we all agreed that the main failure on the KV6 is the rattling inlet manifold? If this is the case, whats the best way to tell if the car is suffering with this? Also am I right in thinking that MGR started to put it right on later models but this is no guarantee? Im off to see a 2005 (05) plate car

Cheers
Dale

PS I shall be studying the buyers guide with interest this evening!

MG ZS STE
10-06-11, 12:21 PM
This was never put right by MGR. I think it may even be intentionally a weak point for this engine?

Check all the climate control functions work [temp/fan speeds/servos etc] boot leaks, inner tyre wall wear, clutch, coolant leaks, boot leaks, exhaust sticks out at the back, boot leaks and when/if the belts have been done. Probably due being an 05.

Just had another thought, bonnet latches can seize or the cable can corrode if not maintained. Just check than you can actually see both the latchs when you peer down the locking holes. if there both present then none of them will be seized. you can check the cable later if you buy it. Good luck.

stamford
10-06-11, 12:25 PM
Easy way to tell is excessive rattling coming from the top of the plenum. It will sound like a bucket of bolts. The only way to be 100% is to remove the power vis and check the actuator arm movement. Whether the owner would allow this is another matter as there are four screws to remove and they can shear off.

caled
10-06-11, 12:40 PM
Here's a youtube clip of what you dont want the plenum to sound like;

clicky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3nDTaQh3g0&feature=related)

CyrixDes
10-06-11, 01:16 PM
Thanks for your help gents much appreciated. Its at an MG main dealer and is overpriced but hopefully he'll have a streak of realism and be willing to do a deal! ?4450 seems a lot to pay for a ZS180 regardless of the condition?

Bobdope2002
10-06-11, 01:22 PM
Thanks for your help gents much appreciated. Its at an MG main dealer and is overpriced but hopefully he'll have a streak of realism and be willing to do a deal! ?4450 seems a lot to pay for a ZS180 regardless of the condition?

add ?550 and you cud buy two for that price

way overpriced dont bother with it

caled
10-06-11, 02:06 PM
?4450. Christ. Slap the dealer, then walk away. Id be expecting to haggle at LEAST ?1-?1.5k off that.

Dan1971
10-06-11, 03:00 PM
A Silver 55 plate hatch with about 30K - Full leather - failed to get a bid on ebay at only ?2500 this week.

starfire039
10-06-11, 05:02 PM
Here's a youtube clip of what you dont want the plenum to sound like;

clicky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3nDTaQh3g0&feature=related)

My poor car :(

It's got worse than that too. Just got in from work and putting a good plenum on though!

Like Stamford said- I'm a perfect example of this, the only way to see if the plenum is knackered is to take off the VIS. Mine sounded perfect when I got it, and I drove it to the MOT station and back, but after about 3 hours of driving it started to rattle, and never stopped. Mick had a look and took the VIS out and saw the arm was completely detached and wobbling all about.

If you're serious about getting a ZS and want a nice example, in the trim that you want, I'd say ?3.5k tops for a mark 2 and ?2k tops for a mk1. For that, they'd have to have a full service history, totally mint condition, all belts done, from a dealer and have a 3 month warranty or the like.

It's true what they say, you can pick up a mark 1 for ?1000 or so, but don't expect a mint one. Like any car, if they're in a desirable trim, have been serviced properly and interior/exterior is in nice condition it'll fetch a lot more- you get what you pay for. The best way to judge is use mytextcheck which will give you info if it's been stolen, scrapped or written off, and a value. Obviously give or take some ?? if it's in good or bad nick.

Do some research into which model you like, mk1 or 2, whether you prefer hatchback or saloon, and what's your favourite colour. For me, a mark 2 ignition blue does it for me, and I'd pay good money ?3.5k for a well kept one. However, hatches, or certain colour mark 1 saloons, I wouldn't even be interested in.

Be patient and you will find the right one, at a bargain price.

For the record- I have a 51 plate 180, and it's getting it's first plenum (or inlet manifold as referred by some) at 136k- it had a good run. I've seen others with mark 2's (so 04 plate and newer) crapping out at 40k. Be aware of project drive, if you're going for a mark 1 I'd see if you can get hold of a low mileage 52 plate or earlier, they were better built. The mark 2s, well you have no choice with that, but be aware you might want to get it undersealed as this was skipped when MGR were in deep financial issues.

EDIT: be WELL aware of the cambelts. They are ?400-600 to change. A lot of people are selling up when they're due. If you're getting one without belts done, it better be cheap!

CyrixDes
10-06-11, 10:06 PM
Hi mate many thanks for the tips and the advice. I certainly don't intend being ripped off, im looking at this one as it's only down the road and being from a main dealer, I may be able to do something in the way of p/x as my Astra is still not selling currently with a day to go on ebay.

I have no intention of going to ?4500, thats way over the top even though it does tick all the boxes and is the correct colour and a hatch which is what we want. Has had the belts done last year, new main dealer service, 12 months MOT, 11 months tax and a 3 month warranty which are all additionals that wouldn't be expected from a private sale and are potentially worth a few hundred on top of book price. Although these add value I can't see the car being worth much more than ?3500, particularly as book price from a dealer is about ?2500 although I do think that the car price guides undervalue them. At the end of the day a car is worth what the market will stand.

All depends on whether the Astra sells and I can wave pound notes under the dealers nose or whether I have to p/x and take a hit that way. Whatever happens it's not my only choice, theres another couple i've got my eye on although i'd rather pick one up locally than over the other side of the country!

starfire039
10-06-11, 10:27 PM
Simple commerce- a car is worth how much you are prepared to pay for it, not what a book says or what others say. Our cars are worth nothing to some people, doesn't mean we should pay nothing. If you like the car and have the money to get it, then go for it, I've just bought a 180 and I'm loving it, awesome cars and severely under rated.

CyrixDes
10-06-11, 10:33 PM
Thats what I was saying mate a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Having previously had a Mk2 180 I know just how good and underrated they are!

caled
11-06-11, 10:02 AM
Thats what I was saying mate a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Having previously had a Mk2 180 I know just how good and underrated they are!

Shh! Don't tell everyone, they'll put the prices up! :sneaky: