PDA

View Full Version : ZS/Civic question...

Mr ZS180
12-06-11, 07:44 PM
Just wondering, and this has probably been asked a million times before but I just cannot find a definitive answer, which is the specific model Civic/Integra that the ZS shares the platform with. I mean for matching suspension, top mounts etc. Wondering what else can be used off the Civic.

Phate
12-06-11, 07:46 PM
Honda Accord Type-R I believe :)

ZS Phil
12-06-11, 08:09 PM
is it not an MB6 civic?

KevG
12-06-11, 09:54 PM
The Rover 400/45/MG ZS share the platform of the Honda Domani which the Honda Civic is based on, the following Honda Civic model codes share some parts with the Rover models

Fifth generation (1992–1995) - EG, EH, EJ1, EJ2
Sixth generation (1996–2000) - EK9, EK4, EK5, EK3, EJ6, EJ7,EJ8, EJ9, EM1

United Kingdom MA MB MC five-door Civic / Civic Aerodeck

It is commonly known as MA MB MC Civic / Aerodeck. The chassis codes designated to this model and generation of civics were Civic chassis codes MA8,MA9,MB1,MB2,MB3,MB4,MB6,MB7,MB8) Honda and Rover were working together during the production of this car so this era of UK-made Civics share the chassis with the Rover 400/45/MG ZS.

Interior differences between Honda and Rover

The interior on the Honda is different to the Rover from the dashboard. The instrument cluster also has completely different dials, the clock in the centre of the dash is also different, along with the door panels, although the Rover door panels will fit the Honda and vice versa. The seats are also completely different, as is the steering wheel. The Honda has a passenger airbag as standard on even its lowest model, whereas the Rover only has a passenger airbag on the higher spec models. The seat fabrics used are also completely different. On some models the rear seat hinges are different to Honda ones.

Exterior differences Honda and Rover

The only panels the two share are the roof panel and the four doors. Every other panel is totally different and unique to each manufacturer. On the Civic, the front bumper, grill, bonnet, front wings/fenders, headlights,slam panel, front valance, rear lights, rear bumper, tailgate, rear panel, mud flaps (where fitted), front fog lights (where fitted) are all made by Honda for the Civic MA/MB/MC.

MECHANICAL DIFFERENCES

Mechanically wise, the cars differ a lot. The engines are completely different, fuel systems completely different, the exhaust (downpipe/manifold/cat/centre section) different, although the rear silencer from the Civic Aerodeck fits the Rover 400/45/MG ZS saloon. Brake discs and calipers differ, although model dependant, there are some that are the same, with only very minor differences. Electrical systems are also different, so Honda ECU will not work in Rover, and vice versa. Electrical wiring also differs between the two, the Rover using BMW connectors, the Civic using Honda connectors.

The potential of this generation of Civic/Aerodeck has always been underestimated due to its resemblance to ROVERs by majority of Civic owners community but these differences show they are completely different cars in their own right. Honda produced/built the Civic, and Rover produced/built the Rover. Only Honda built the Civic/Aerodeck, so this was exclusive to Honda. There are two "Rover" estates (wagons) known to be in existence. These are called "Tourers", and were built by Rover employees using 2 Aerodeck shells/chassis bought in from Honda. No Hondas were built at the Rover plant, and no Rovers were built at the Honda plant.

Honda Civic Vti
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/Honda_Civic_1.8Vti.jpg

Honda Domani
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Honda_Domani_1992.jpg

Rover 45
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Rover_45_rear_20080417.jpg

MG ZS
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/ZS180.2004.XPG.JPG

dida4g
13-06-11, 08:33 AM
is it not an MB6 civic?

Yes, the MB6 vti has the best parts.
This car has a 1.8dohc the heaviest engine nearest in weight to the kv6 and td.
Door mirrors on this are auto heated too in low temps.
Interior is half leather, wheels stud pattern is 114pcd x 4, brakes are 282 front, 260 rear.
They have the bullet proof outer door handles and all have electric rear windows too, I have them on my ZS.

rakester
14-06-11, 01:06 AM
MB6 mainly but there are similar parts available from other civics and some Accords that work too :)

If you want a link to the coilovers that fit a civic lemme know, they only cost ?150 delivered too from ebay! The Civic is a similar ish weight to the ZS as well (about 30-40kg iirc). Some people will argue that is too much but tbh a bigger driver / passengers would easily make that weight difference and I doubt it's everyday you have a full car.

Other parts like camber adjusters, under car braces etc from civics will fit too, all cheapy cheap. Dunno why more you guys don't use civic parts :s I'm pretty sure some exhaust parts may fit too as well as rear bumpers etc