PDA

View Full Version : Vis Issues - getting frustrated now...

haGGard
18-06-11, 12:05 PM
Ok, So my POWER vis indicator light hasnt been lighting up over the last few months. I've just won a set of working VIS motors on ebay. I only fitted the power one as the balance works fine. Its still not lighting up, it didnt even want to reset into the neutral position.

Basically, my current power VIS in not working.

This new VIS as far as i can tell is not working.

I even drove the car with the power VIS unplugged and tbh, i didnt even notice any difference when putting my foot down past 3K rpm.

What are my options now? Could i have bought another faulty VIS motor off ebay? Could it actually be an electrical fault with the power vis wiring? My inlet manifold is starting to get the ticking sound too, its not as bad as some ive seen on youtube, but its developing it.

Im stuck now. Can anyone help? Getting pretty fed up with it. Cheers

starfire039
18-06-11, 12:33 PM
i'll be up in Kent next weekend mate, want me to take a look? I will have a known working VIS by then. I'm in the same position really, drove around with a known bad VIS and good VIS and no difference.Take your new VIS out and move the actuator arm- is it smooth? It should require no effort to move. If it is stiff it will stop the VIS working and burn the motors out. If your plenum is rattling the arm will have movement though.

haGGard
18-06-11, 12:48 PM
Oh yes thats something i forgot to mention. The Plenum arm still moves very smoothly and doesnt get stuck. So its a bit of a confusing one...

Yea would be great if you could take a look. Im right near dartford, in Erith.

starfire039
18-06-11, 12:51 PM
cool, I'll have to see if i can get there as I'm meant to be picking my missus up from uni, if not you could meet me in Gillingham if you want, think it's about 20 minutes from Erith. We'll put a known good VIS in and see what happens. I'm hoping this is going to cure my troubles too, car is dead after 3k, new plenum helped a lot as it was totally shagged.

robins1uk
24-06-11, 04:49 PM
I had same thing today had won a whole inlet manifold with vis all apprently working order, swap the motors with the ones on my zs, balance vis perfect lights changing on indicator, but replacment power one still the same, decided to strip down my original power motor and found poor solder joints on contact switches. Resoldered and refitted car finally doesnt sound like a bag of nails and both motors running fine :-)