PDA

View Full Version : oil change

daytona365
25-06-11, 02:46 PM
Been six months since last oil change, so despite the iffy weather, I was over the garage to change my oil at 9 this morning. With new oil and 5 litres of oil ready, I started the job. Now an oil change is supposed to be easy!!!

Heres what happened to me..........Jacked car up to gain access to the sump plug. The jack wouldnt work. Had to use the scissor jack. On axle stand and removed the inner wing cover, to expose the sump plug. Opened up tool box......mmmmmmmm where the f*** is my spanner to undo the plug?? Had to use a socket instead. Loosened sumplug, so lowered the car to help drain the oil. Gloves on and moved the sump drain container under the car. Forgot that I had been out for a few miles and the oil came out a lot runnier and faster that expected, so all up my arm and over the floor. Damm hot too!!!
Still all out, next job undo oil filter. Wrap my removal chain round and guess what, it broke. Had to use a screwdriver. SO more oil over the floor.

No over yet, put sump plug back in and tighten it up. All ok there. However when I tried to put the new filter on, it kept cross threading. ****** I thought, cos if it wont go on, I cant reuse the old one as I have pushed a big hole in it!!!. So jacked it up and got under neath to try again nice and slowly. Phew the filter went on like a dream.............Part one all done.
Opened the oil, got my funnel and began to fill the car back up with nice new oil. Checked after the 5 litres in, and needed a little top up to get to teh right level on dipstick. Got top up bottle from boot, and topped up. Checked level all OK. Put filler cap back on, dipstick back in and shut bonnet. Turned round to move tools and kicked the top up bottle over, which went everywhere as I hadnt put the lid on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out with a bag of granules and my garage floor looks like a beach lol.
Rubbish in the bin, hands cleaned and car put in safe place, until garage floor swept. Phew job done....

Still got the satisfaction of doing my service myself :mml::mml:

big_wasa
25-06-11, 04:42 PM
Hmmm, we all have them days. :tease:

Ive had to spend the morning doing the wifes pug, mot fail.

Two front arb drop link's, two rear tie rods, ns front brake pipe flexi and hard line, welding on the sill and two orange indicator bulbs.

still thats saved ?200 in labour.

talkingcars
25-06-11, 04:48 PM
I broke not 1 but 2 drivers door handles replacing my drivers door as the winder motor bolt holes on the old 1 were out of shape so the glass wasn't square and has twice shattered.

The door was on and functioning in 1.5 hours but needs a bit of adjusting and the glass runs true for the first time in 3.5 years (since I bought the car).