PDA

View Full Version : 1.8K Owners - Help Needed

Stephen
01-07-11, 03:41 PM
Right guys...

Following on from my overheating issue See here.... http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=16367

I would like to find out on what part of the guage the fans should come on to cool the car down.

Captain Peanut
01-07-11, 03:51 PM
I don't know the exact point but when I had problems with mine recently it seemed to be at a point somewhere between halfway and three-quarters.

welshone
01-07-11, 04:00 PM
The temperature gauge is not really a temp gauge it's just a hot cold gauge to tell you whats going on heat wise. Normal operating temp to about 70 -115 degrees. about middle of the gauge.

The fan should have two fan speed settings slow fan speed should come on at about 104 degrees and the faster fan should come on at about 112 degrees. when the fan does kick in temp gauge will not move from it's normal operating temp. the needle should only move if the engine is very cold or very very very overheating hot.

Think this is about right please correct me if i'm wrong people.

Stephen
01-07-11, 04:04 PM
See my engine temp varied from 80-110 but the fans didnt kick in till the guage was redlining but all the time the engine was stilll roughly the same temp.

Ritchy
01-07-11, 04:21 PM
if it not overheating then it is perhaps the actual gauge sensor as welshone says its just a hot cold sensor really

welshone
01-07-11, 04:21 PM
See my engine temp varied from 80-110 but the fans didnt kick in till the guage was redlining but all the time the engine was stilll roughly the same temp.

from those figures it really does look like the gauge sensor is at fault.

Stephen
01-07-11, 04:32 PM
Iv just put one of those in ( Blue ) And still does it :(

Ritchy
01-07-11, 04:35 PM
if its not actually overheating i cant help but think theres chaffed wire somewhere giving an off reading, either that or an ECU fault

petet16
01-07-11, 05:04 PM
Have you tried earthing the gauge cable with the ignition on, it should go to fully hot.

Stephen
01-07-11, 05:19 PM
No this hasnt been tried. How would i do go about doing it?

petet16
01-07-11, 06:01 PM
No this hasnt been tried. How would i do go about doing it?

Just disconnect the wire from the sensor, and earth it to the engine, this is replicating how the gauge works, except your leaving the sensor out of the circuit, the sensor is a thermistor as the temperature of the coolant rises the resistance of the sensor drops so you get a current flow to earth and a reading on the temp gauge.