PDA

View Full Version : Rattling Sound when accelerating

Robstar
12-07-07, 12:10 PM
Guys

I have a big prob. My exhaust broke and I had a new stainless steal exhaust fitted, but now when i put my foot down a ratteling sounds comes from the engine.

This didnt happen before the exhaust broke.

Any Ideas im really worried there might be something extremely wrong which will damage the car.

All your help would be greatly appreciated.

The Phantom
12-07-07, 12:15 PM
Probably just a loose heat shield on the exhaust, or bolts on the new section need tightened up. Had this before on my car and drove me nuts. Take a trip to the garage that fitted your exhaust and get it up on the ramps for a look over.

Highly unlikely that a new exhaust will effect the engine in any other way.

sduk
12-07-07, 02:29 PM
was gonna say that too Mike, that happened on mine last week, had a bit spot welded and its sorted now :D

TurboZed
12-07-07, 05:06 PM
The heat shields are prone for cracking round the mounting bolts, i've welded up quite a few.
Jim

Robstar
13-07-07, 04:10 PM
Cheers guys ill take a closer look during the weekend if the rain is gonna stop.

Hope its not a new heat shield. Must have spen up to 600 quid already this month. lol

Expensive business this modding. LOL Im new to it all.

Thanks for all you advise guys, much appreciated.
I will give feedback on how I got on.

stamford
13-07-07, 04:59 PM
My wifes car has got the same problem. However I told her it is a loose nut behind the wheel, I left her looking for it! :huh:

sduk
13-07-07, 05:30 PM
the heat shield on mine was loose and it was located about half way up the exhaust in the middle of the car. one spot weld and it was fixed. simple, if its that it shouldnt cost alot :)

lukiep160
13-07-07, 05:39 PM
As said before my first port of call would be to check the heat sheild on the exhaust and the one on the manifold

arwilson80
14-07-07, 10:40 PM
Some of the new exhausts aren't 100% identical to the OE ones.... I got one changed on a 214 and it came down a little further than the old OE one and was resting on one of the metal pieces that run across the car.