PDA

View Full Version : electric seats in zs and rear elec windows

garymgzs180
05-07-11, 06:42 PM
hi every one . i wanna pimp out my zs a bit. i have looked and discovered that i have the preinstalled wiring to fit heated seats. i got some relays and switches from scrap yard today and all working up to the connector under the seats. need to get some heater elements now. i was wondering if anyone knows if the mg zt seats are the same as zs and if they would fit. i want to get electric movement ones of which i can wire up no problem , but im not sure if the bolt holes will line up on the seat base. can anyone help with this.

i also want to fit rear electric windows. unfortunatly never came with them, my car is a mk2 with the body control module. does this mean i can fit the rear window mech, door loom and switches and it should work the same as mk1 zs or is it different, many thanks

talkingcars
05-07-11, 07:20 PM
IIRC the ZT seats have the same base as the ZR but different runners so it should be possible although a lot of work.

You could look out for heated seats and swap them over or on the internet for pads.

I suspect you'll need to get the windows switched on in the body ECU for rear windows to work.

Stephen
05-07-11, 07:32 PM
Right...

75 or ZT Front seats fit into a 45/ZS fine. So you will just need to fiddle with looms etc for these to work.

Elec rear windows are very easy too. Just get the looms for the doors, switches for the consol and the mechanism and they will work.

They did in my last ZS and in this ZS.. Both Facelift 05's

garymgzs180
06-07-11, 08:35 AM
nice one . cheers guys

Enright
26-08-11, 12:29 PM
My salvaged Mk2 ZS arrives later today, and due to the weather being awful I need to get something sorted out with the rear windows on it pretty sharpish, so atfer doing a search I hope resurrecting this thread is OK as it's very similar (just a bit the reverse) to what I want to do.

The previous owner of my car was at one point intent on breaking it, and sold the rear electric window motors, wiring loom and door-cards. The rear windows now stay up thanks to a mixture of duct-tape, old gloves wedging them, and prayer!

I've found a Mk1 ZS in my local scrapyard and the door-cards looked identical, so I bought them all for the bargain price of ?25.
Only slight issue is that the one in the scrapyard just had wind-up rear windows.
I can simply bolt in the regulators and then the rears should at least stay up and work adequately, and in future if I see a complete set of electric windows I can restore it to it's original spec.
The problem is the centre-console and the front passenger side window.
I think I can take the blanking plates, passenger window switch and wiring out of the one in the scrapyard at the same time as getting the regulators, but where does the wiring plug into? Is it just a generic loom that sits under the centre console and has the option to add extra windows, or do I have to run the complete "less complex" loom underneath seats/carpets/trim to the driver's door?
And will a Mk1 front electric windows loom even be compatible with a Mk2 all electric windows bodyshell?

grimmy
26-08-11, 02:09 PM
If I remember correctly there are only two connectors under the centre console which power the front and rear windows it's just the switches that are different. As for mk1 and mk2 being Compatible yes they are.in fact my complete rear electric window setup including motors, switches and door cards actually came off an old civic.the only difference was the drivers window switch had a different connector which was easily changed.

Maxxed_Ross
26-08-11, 02:27 PM
as above, my 05 plate had all the wires there and the conversion kit was taken from a rover 400 of some sort!

I kept the wind up window door cars and plugged the hole with a metal sink blanking plate designed to cover up holes for a tap

talkingcars
27-08-11, 05:28 AM
You should be lucky on the mk2, all the wiring for the windows should be there.

When you get the electric regulators from any ZS/any R45/400/same shape civic they should bolt straight in.

Earlier cars with rear had a blanking plate a gray plastic which is what I've used to fill my holes.

However ?25 seems a bit keen for door cards, my local yard (who are expensive) would have charaged ?20 tops for all 4 and proberbly accepted a lower offer so yours sounds expensive, what are they like on prices for other stuff?

talkingcars
27-08-11, 05:32 AM
Sorry, just re-read your post, there should be 2 plugs under the centre consol, the wiring for the rear windows then goes under the seats to the connector for the rear doors.

If the PO removed the looms from the doors then the central locking on the rears won't work either.

Enright
29-08-11, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies and the help guys.
The Civic tip is particularly useful Grimmy - I'll keep an eye out for those in the scrapyards.
And Ross, the blanking plug idea is exactly what I was thinking of if I manage to return the rear windows to electric at some time in the future.
To Talkingcars: TBH I was pretty happy with ?25 for all 4 doorcards - my local scrapyard varies massively on prices - sometimes it's dead reasonable, sometimes prices are sky high so I go elsewhere. Good call on the rear central locking too - unfortunately that's exactly what the previous owner had done so I had to get the rear looms for inside the doors. Still, I have fully functioning rear windows and doors now, so just to finish off the fronts then onto the next job.

Enright
20-09-11, 07:50 AM
I've managed to lift some heated seat elements and switches out of a Rover 45 from my local scrappy. They're all now in my car with the help of this excellent How-To (http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=978) - only slight issue is that one of the pictures doesn't work (for me at least).
It's the one that shows the diagram of the passenger compartment fusebox where all the relays go.
I've got a couple of relays, but I don't know where to stick 'em! My Haynes and even my owners manual are no help.
Could I have some (polite!) responses to point me in the right direction please?

MG ZS STE
20-09-11, 11:48 AM
Think if you scroll down to the bottom of this link its there.

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=33960&highlight=electric+seats

Enright
20-09-11, 11:53 AM
Perfect - ta. :D
Also explains why a couple of other things aren't working. Righto, more relays to be scavenged...