PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about claying.

talkingcars
05-07-11, 08:41 PM
Just bought a Mequires smooth car kit, it includes a quick detail spray which you are instructed to use to lubricate the clay.

Does it have to be the quick detail or will water do?

Can I clay in the rain?

And if I clay in the rain is there a polish I can use in the rain?

peterzs
05-07-11, 09:32 PM
Steve Cleenz did this about it:-

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=10197&highlight=claying

dont know about polishing in the rain, dont think so, know some of the polish you can put on wet, but has to dry to a haze, then buff up.

Sounds like you need a special lubricant rather than just water.

C13URD
05-07-11, 09:59 PM
Just bought a Mequires smooth car kit, it includes a quick detail spray which you are instructed to use to lubricate the clay.

Does it have to be the quick detail or will water do?

Can I clay in the rain?

And if I clay in the rain is there a polish I can use in the rain?

The first kit i ever brought was mequires but this works out very expensive cos you have to use special detailing lubricant...:hmm: & the clay bar is very small

if i want to clay my car or a friends i use Bilt & Hamber clay cos you can use it with water.. & no need to by expensive detailing spray..:clap: the link below is 200g & the last one i brought i split into four pieces...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bilt-Hamber-Auto-Car-Clay-Bar-Regular-200g-Detailing-/110637616810?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c2840eaa

Steves Cleenz
05-07-11, 11:52 PM
I dont like bilt hamber clay:( what you can use for clay lube is your car shampoo mixed with water, about 20ml to 500ml of water, this what i use if i dont have any clay lube, another good clay and good value for money is the clean your car yellow clay, a really good clay, TBH the megs clay kits are very expensive for what you get, as for polishing in the rain, Why? like said above it will need to be buffed anyway

talkingcars
06-07-11, 08:47 PM
I thought the megs kit was very good value for money compared to buying the items seperatly when I was in Halfords on Monday.

Why Halfords - it's the only car parts place anywhere near where I work and I wanted it "NOW".

The kit was ?26, I also bought some shampoo and polish so with the 3 for 2 offer on car cleaning chemicals it was already giving a resonable price, ?40 all in.

The kit consists of 2 bars and a plastic storage box (1 bar and box is ?10), 1 microfibre cloth (3 are ?15), quick detailer (?9ish) and a small polish (?5ish), the seperate prices would have been nearly ?40.

As I've never clayed before and didn't know what works togeather I though it safer to buy it all in 1 box and I have to say I am very happy with the results so far.
When I was valating 15 years ago things were much simpiler but less effective and much harder work.

Why the questions in the first post, it was raining but I wanted to get on.

I'm never sure if it's worth the effort on my car though, it gets used everyday to and from work, as I work in a builders yard the inside gets full of dust including cement dust, not to mention all the dust that gets blown over it! Where we park is about 100 meters from the chimely of the local tarmac plant so there is often miniture spots of hot tar in the air, thankfully we are far enough from the railway with it's third rail not to suffer the microscopic rust particle fallout from that.

Claying the upper surfaces turns the bar brown fresh tar colour!

Jay-ZS+
06-07-11, 09:11 PM
I use a water with some fairly liquid for lubrication, and spray plenty of it.

ian zs180
06-07-11, 11:12 PM
I use a water with some fairly liquid for lubrication, and spray plenty of it.

I was told never to use fairy liquid on a cars paint work .Dont know why that is but thats what i was told

talkingcars
07-07-11, 05:33 AM
I was told never to use fairy liquid on a cars paint work .Dont know why that is but thats what i was told

Washing up liquid contains salt and also removes the wax.

Jay-ZS+
07-07-11, 05:56 AM
The clay will remove old wax anyway.

Steves Cleenz
07-07-11, 03:22 PM
you have to be careful with what you use as a clay lube as it can break down the properties of the clay, it can then either start to fall apart for it can just not work at all as it can soften the clay too much and then it wont pick nothing up at all