PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

CyrixDes
09-07-11, 09:54 PM
Hi all, just picked up my 180 and unfortunately all the alloys have kerbing marks all the way around the edges. Never having to have alloys refurbished on any other cars im unsure a) can a decent wheel refurbisher bring them back to new-ish, b) how much can I expect to pay per wheel and c) most importantly can anyone recommend a good place to do it in the Ashby/Burton/Derby/Tamworth area?

Cheers
Dale

Captain Bluebear
09-07-11, 10:23 PM
The last ones I had done were refurbished by the original wheel manufactures (KN Wheels in Telford) & they charged ?35 per (14 inch wheel, wheel size will affect price) if memory serves me right. I think they refurb any make of wheel as well. :)

I think there's a place near spaghetti junc' in Brum that gets good press but I can't think of the name, maybe someone on here might know who I'm thinking of?

Hambo-180
09-07-11, 10:41 PM
i can highly recommend getting your wheels refurbed! I got mine powder coated and they came up like new. Mine were ?180 for same day, car delivered at 9am picked up at 5pm job done!!! Brilliant!

Steves Cleenz
09-07-11, 11:54 PM
speak to my mate who does it he is mobile so comes to you (tamworth), his number is 07900937420 and his name is Paul, say steves cleenz gave you the number :)

the place in brum is called laptab, been getting mixed replies back from laptab about there quality of work, my wheels were done there by the previous owner and they are crap, paint flaking off

MG ZS STE
10-07-11, 12:22 AM
i can recommend city powder coaters in brum. ?20 a corner and get a really good service.

KirkJames
10-07-11, 07:21 AM
i can recommend city powder coaters in brum. ?20 a corner and get a really good service.

That sounds a bit cheap, was that for a Tonka Truck lol I thought usual prices were anywhere from ?45+ per wheel. Very good price at 20 notes each!

Taphouse
10-07-11, 08:45 AM
That sounds a bit cheap, was that for a Tonka Truck lol I thought usual prices were anywhere from ?45+ per wheel. Very good price at 20 notes each!

Sounds normal to me, I get them done for ?25 a corner.

CyrixDes
10-07-11, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give that chap in Tamworth a bell in the week then, does he do the full refurb on them or just a touch up?

big_wasa
10-07-11, 09:31 AM
I am looking for a local place. Price seems to be ?45+ a corner. Mobile will be a smart repair and will be paint. I want mine powder coated.

Ritchy
10-07-11, 09:37 AM
id sugest getting powdercoat over paint, espiecially if your planning on keeping a car for over a year, prices round here average on about ?25 to ?50 a wheel

Mr ZS180
10-07-11, 10:58 AM
Maybe a bit of a noob question but when you go to one of these powdercoater refurbishers do they base the price on the work they have to do ie if they have to fully strip the wheel of paint etc then treat corrosion and kerbing does it cost more than just a simple powdercoat?

welshone
10-07-11, 11:00 AM
Maybe a bit of a noob question but when you go to one of these powdercoater refurbishers do they base the price on the work they have to do ie if they have to fully strip the wheel of paint etc then treat corrosion and kerbing does it cost more than just a simple powdercoat?

Go and see them and get a quote.

Mr ZS180
10-07-11, 11:02 AM
Go and see them and get a quote.

The only one I know of near me is Maxpowder and I heard they charge ?50 minimum per wheel so I was looking for somewhere cheaper for mine!

CyrixDes
10-07-11, 12:41 PM
Mine will be a long term project so i'll have to look for somewhere else where they can do a thorough job. Any other suggestions locally to Burton/Derby/Tamworth etc that any one can recommend?

KirkJames
10-07-11, 12:44 PM
Yeah it does normally depend on how bad your wheels are. Well the ones round here do anyway. If you find somewhere that have an all in price then that's great! Good Luck!!

MG ZS STE
10-07-11, 04:23 PM

Thats what they charged me for my MK2 elevan spoke's. I too have heard a variety of tales regarding paint refurbers in the birmingham area. Mostly that the finish is *****. far better off with a powder coated finish. The only neg i can say is i recently saw a set of powder coated alloys on a zed with cheap after market drilled and grooved disks and they'de made a right old mess of the inside of the alloy. loads of contaminents imbedded in the powder coat.