PDA

View Full Version : MK1 + models and extras

LouZRBabe
13-07-11, 12:59 PM
So, Im going to view a MK1 ZS diesel tomorrow. Its on 127,000 miles but looks looked after and in good condition.

Its being sold as a + model, has air conditioning and hairpins. However, it doesn't have the front splitter and skirts I have seen on other MK1's. I was wondering what models theres kits are on, is it similar to the ZR with the optional extras on a + model?

Thanks

magpie67
13-07-11, 03:08 PM
my first ZS , which i bought in Dec 2010 was a 120+, silver hatch, 2001 reg, no front splitter, 17" straights, air con, front electric windows, electric sunroof and large rear spoiler !!

my second and current ZS, purchased in May 2011, is a 120+, TB saloon, 2003 reg, full 180 body kit,no front fogs though, air con, front electric windows and small boot spoiler !!

i think the "kits" you are thinking of are standard on ZS 180's but optional extras on 120's, not sure about dervs though !!!

StragglaSteve
13-07-11, 04:01 PM
i think the + just means you get air-con and electric mirrors :p

the rest are optional extras as my 120+ had hairpins, standard interior, no front splitter, small rear spoiler and no extended sideskirts.

Zippy Saloon
13-07-11, 04:34 PM
i think the + just means you get air-con and electric mirrors :p

+ electric front windows

LouZRBabe
13-07-11, 06:18 PM
Ah makes sense, thanks.

Were straights a optional extra aswel? Prefer the straights so would probably sell the hairpins and get a set of straights.

I assume the splitter and skirts are a easy fit and will fit a diesel?

Steves Cleenz
13-07-11, 06:26 PM
some blurb off the net:

MG ZS 120

1.8-litre manual or Stepspeed transmission

Standard equipment on all ZS models, included:

Body coloured exterior items:

Door handles, rear number plate surround, door mirrors
Aerodynamic boot spoiler, side-rubbing strips, bumper inserts
Bright mesh main and lower grilles
16" ‘Hairpins’ sports alloy wheels
Electric door mirrors
Lower sports suspension, sports rated springs and dampers
Sharp steering response
Sports cloth seats
ABS and Electronic brakeforce distribution
Bright exhaust tailpipe and heat shield
MG ZS+

Additional specification features over the standard ZS 120 model include:

Air conditioning
Electric front windows
MG ZS 180

177Ps 2.5-litre V6 with 5-speed manual transmission

Additional spec for ZS 180 model over the ZS+ model:

Tuned 2.5V6 (177Ps) engine
Sports ratio gearbox
17" ‘Straights’ multi-spoke alloy wheels
Uprated front (282mm) disc brakes and calipers
Part leather sports seats
Leather MG gearknob, steering wheel and handbrake grip
Extreme rear aerodynamic boot spoiler
Front bib spoiler
Sculpted side sill finishers
Deep front bumper incorporating fog lights

SARENG
13-07-11, 07:48 PM
Bought my 120+ new in 2003.
Standard fit was as stated by Steve.

My options were,
Rear electric windows,
part leather seats and leather front and rear headrests,
side skirts and deep front bumper with fogs,
sunroof + wind deflector and front door wind deflectors,
trafficmaster clock,
leather steering wheel and gear knob and centre console armrest.
Straights were an option, which with hind sight I should have gone for.

R8NMG
13-07-11, 08:15 PM
The plus model has air-conditioning, electric mirrors and electric front windows as standard.

17" straights, front bib spoiler, side skirts, half leather seats, leather steering wheel, rear electric windows, rear headrests, fog lights, Sunroof, CD player are all optional extras.

The saloon only comes with a small spoiler only.

The plus model would come in a chrome ZS badge where as a non-plus model with a dark coloured ZS badge.

LouZRBabe
22-07-11, 03:37 PM
Well I now own a MK1 ZS diesel :D

Picked it up yesterday. Will post some pics up soon.

Just got a few questions,

Can I use the same OAT coolant I use for my ZR?
What grade of oil for a diesel should I use?
Replacing the rear badge, its slighty curved, I guess a flat one won't fit? Someone must have done this before?

peterzs
22-07-11, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the World of the Derv.

Think the OAT will be OK

I just get the oil recommended for the derv, Multigrade engine oil, viscosity SAE 10W/40 to ACEA A3 and
ACEA B3

Replaced my one on a Mk2, got it off ebay, my one was a o/e replacement by the packaging.

Love my one, do go well, hope you enjoy yours.

:-D:-D:-D

LouZRBabe
22-07-11, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Going to give it a good clean next week, then will get some pics up.

10W40 then, will get some.

I replaced my badges in the ZR with some metal ones from ebay, good quality. Want to do the same with the ZS, but reading a few posts it seems the rear is hard to remove? Sounds like the badge doesn't come off seperate to the chrome housing, wonder if I can get a screwdriver through the middle of it and pull it off like I did the ZR.

peterzs
22-07-11, 05:07 PM
I had the replacement badge for 3 years, too scared to pull the old one off. It got so bad I painted it with enamel paint. Looked horrid, so when we had that hot spell thought I would tackle it.

Masked off all round the old badge and taped on a couple of old credit cards at the bottom of the badge and carefully eased a wide scraper under the badge and prised it up. When it moved I got my fingernails under it and it pulled off fairly easily.

Thought I would do the front badge as the rear went so easily, dont use a wide scraper on the front badge, the grill must be more rounded and the wide blade digs into the paint. Doh!!! Got a table knife when the wife wasnt looking, and slid that under the bottom edge, using the old credit card to lever against and it came off easily again.

Thats on a Mk2, dont know if the Mk1 is different. The Mk2 was a complete plastic badge.

Best of luck with it.

:-D:-D:-D

talkingcars
22-07-11, 05:28 PM
Welcome to the world of grown up MGs :) (my wife has a ZR)

I would check what coolant is in the engine, I understand mixing OAT and non oat can cause sludge to form.

Is yours a hatch or a saloon, they have different badges if you are replacing the whole thing, the inserts are the same 59mm as the mk1 ZR.

Are you bring it to Zed10 on Sunday?

James

LouZRBabe
22-07-11, 05:54 PM
Its OAT in there as its pinky orange (I know this doesn't 100% mean it is, but in an engine that uses OAT, i think its safe to say it is).

Ah mines a hatch. Will the badge come out the chrome casing on a hatch? Then I can just stick the new one in the its place.

I should be bringing the ZR to zedten, got to fit an alternator in the morning. I only picked the ZS up yesterday and I'm abit hesitant to drive it 285 odd miles without giving it a service and check over.