PDA

View Full Version : Insured on a car you dont own?

Jay-ZS+
16-07-11, 12:31 PM
Just sorting out insurance for the Missus car, and realised my insurance doesnt run out till Feb. Now Im expecting to sell my car in the coming months. I paid for my insurance in full and have cancelled policies before and you get hardly anything back. Wondered if it legal or worth letting it run as will get the rest of the years NCB.

Also anyone know of a company that allows named drivers to earn NCB as will be insured on the gfs car so would be handy to carry on building them up. Tried direct line but they were well off the mark wanting ?2,800 for a 1.3 :laugh: I pay a 1/4 of that for the 180!!

big_wasa
16-07-11, 12:36 PM
No its NOT legal to insure a car you no longer own. It should be flagged up on the insurance data base. They dont want it riding past and showing as insured when it really isnt.

On the other hand ive done it a few times and never had any come back. The last policy I left dormant they offered me ?8 for four or five months left by the time they had added there admin charge.

:mbounce:

carmadbaker
16-07-11, 02:58 PM
Just change the car over on the remainder of ur current policy dude, try adding the mrs too :-) they r very flexible!

starfire039
16-07-11, 08:08 PM
I transferred my insurance from my 120 to 180 and only paid another ?150... (22 years old with no NCB)... so try that

talkingcars
16-07-11, 08:12 PM
I guess to cover yourself you should inform your insurace company that you no longer own the car when you do sell it.

You CAN NOT have 2 insurance policies on 1 car.

I have a homefleet policy with Tradex, the premium is worked out on each driver and each car, all drivers building a NCB.

Jay-ZS+
16-07-11, 08:20 PM
Its with Adrian flux who also do bike cover so will see if they can transfer it over to cover the bike.

C13URD
16-07-11, 08:31 PM
Also anyone know of a company that allows named drivers to earn NCB as will be insured on the gfs car so would be handy to carry on building them up. Tried direct line but they were well off the mark wanting ?2,800 for a 1.3 :laugh: I pay a 1/4 of that for the 180!!

My mrs earns no claims on my policy with Privilege insurance...:idea:

Mr ZS180
17-07-11, 10:35 AM

My mrs earns no claims on my policy with Privilege insurance...:idea:

Doesnt admiral do that too?

Andyf
18-07-11, 08:29 PM
There was a bloke in Wycombe when I was based at Amersham who insured a Corsa fully comp, then got an Impreza that he registered to his girlfriend and drove it on his third party rights. He then sold the Corsa but kept the insurance and drove about in the Impreza. A colleague spoke to the insurance company they weren't interested that he didn't own the car anymore.

They normally ask you when you take the policy if you are the owner and keeper of the car. Best thing to do is speak to your insurance.