PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase a ZS180

jay.gray
17-07-11, 04:19 AM
Hi all,

I'm here looking for advice, i'm looking into buying a blue 2006 ZS180, which has done 46k on the clock and has had the cam belts changed just 10 miles previoulsy.

its on the market for ?4600, do you think this is a good price?

are there any common faults which i should be concerned about? if so, how would i know of these?

i have looked through the paper work on this motor and the only advisory notices on the MOT are tyres (which appeared to be common on more than one MOT) and the CV joints detoriating?

any advice would be mostly appreciated as i am keen on this car, but would like trouble free motoring finally after my current car. (long story)(not an MG btw)

thanks in advance

idge2003
17-07-11, 05:01 AM
Hi,

Looking at other prices it seems on the high side especially if its a 06 plate or newer as it will be in the higher tax band meaning around ?450 a year I think.

Common faults include failing clutch slave cylinders (upgraded part available for less than O.E) and ABS reluctor rings cracking/losing teeth but both are fairly cheap fixes.

Also inlet plenums can cause problems if its rattling loudly could be on its way out and is a big cost!

Hope that helps a bit and I'm sure others will add anything else they can think of.

Brett

Dan1971
17-07-11, 06:08 AM
Way over priced mate IMHO. Any cars later than a 55 plate are hard to sell on due to the higher tax.

My advice would be to look at as late a model as you can - 55 being the latest. There are buyer threads here to read through that list the common faults.

Get one with belts done - sheddist - in really good condition from an enthusiast - ?3500 to ?4K tops. If you can't find one that has had them done - budget ?500 for the belts.

Great choice by the way, as they are hugely capable cars and welcome to the site. :wave:

talkingcars
17-07-11, 08:29 AM
On a positive note - the V6 engined 180 doesn't suffer from HGF in the same way that the 4 cylinder K series engine does, the thermostat can leak but usual engine checks will show this long before it fails.

ramdonice
17-07-11, 09:23 AM
also the v6 sounds awsome

but do get a 55 plate or below as the tax is a whole lot lower than the 06 plates and really there no older just registered at different times

Ritchy
17-07-11, 09:41 AM
i think youd get one cheaper than that if you looked around, one of the big things you want to see done is the timing belts, they are due at 6 years and its a big job, cost more than the head gasket does on the 4 cylinder and also look up VIS issue and the clutch hydraulics, at that price id want the belt change thrown in with a receipt ect for it

peterzs
17-07-11, 09:42 AM
Hi have a look at the "How to",

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11254

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11255

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11326

Hope you get a good one.

:wave:

daytona365
17-07-11, 01:01 PM
Great cars, but I agree its a bit expensive.............

Bobdope2002
17-07-11, 01:44 PM
way way overpriced

an absolute mint one with Cambelts and waterpump done go for less

shud be looking at around ?3-3.5k for a goodun dealers are out to rip you off and make a profit

Steves Cleenz
17-07-11, 07:50 PM
?400 tax

get a 55 plate one and save yourself a couple of grand on purchase price and the tax will only be ?245 a year :happy2:

jay.gray
17-07-11, 07:53 PM
thanks very much for the replies, maybe i'll look around that little bit longer. or see if i haggle this one down a bit more.
lets hope i can find the right for me.

jay.gray
17-07-11, 10:24 PM
Hello again,

i just done a vehicle enquiry on the DVLA website and the tax for the ZS180 06 plate i'm looking at is ?260 for the year...... Which i'm happy with, coz to be honest i was gonna walk away at ?400 a year.. eeeekkk.

vanishing days
18-07-11, 07:30 AM
I'd keep looking around as I woudnt pay more than 3250 for it