PDA

View Full Version : Sprintex Super Chargers for the 180.

Captain Bluebear
17-07-11, 03:15 PM
I know Aussie cars had them as standard but was there ever many sold in the UK?

Supercharged_Z
17-07-11, 03:34 PM
possibly around units were bought into the uk.

talkingcars
17-07-11, 03:58 PM
Not many because most of them failed.

petet16
17-07-11, 03:58 PM
Aussie cars didn't have them as standard:smile1:, but Sprintex is a Australian company, and developed the charger for the ZT originally iirc.

Captain Bluebear
17-07-11, 04:26 PM
Ah cheers my mistake I thought they had the power bumped up from new for the Aussie market.
So there's not much point pursuing them if their not very good then. :)

Thanks all. :D

Dave ZS-X
17-07-11, 07:21 PM
if you could even get one, you "might" make it work if you spend a good few thousand pounds on a proper build but unfortunately no'one ever has, even the sprintex approved, extremely professional, british installers couldn't make them work.

starfire039
18-07-11, 05:15 PM
You would be better off with the VAG engine conversion as Dave may or may not agree with ;)

Bobdope2002
18-07-11, 05:20 PM
You would be better off with the VAG engine conversion as Dave may or may not agree with ;)

from what i hear they are just as unreliable as the SC

(or daves was an unlucky example who knos ??? )

starfire039
18-07-11, 05:23 PM
I wasn't aware Dave had any issues, must have had my head under a rock. I would have thought a spanking new engine sat doing it's thing would be more reliable than a supercharger on an engine that wasn't designed for it....

Jay-ZS+
18-07-11, 06:13 PM
I want to see Phate get on and do a KV6 turbo! As for the supercharger sure theres a guy on here with a MK2 ignition blue running a charger that was going well last I heard.

vanishing days
18-07-11, 06:28 PM
I looked Into this a while back and no of 3 chargers still running 2 running very well and one that is currently stored do to multiple problems and last I heard it was on engine number 2 already and the owner was going to scrap it the best person to talk to would be a guy who was on here who had a mk2 supercharged

Bobdope2002
18-07-11, 06:35 PM
I wasn't aware Dave had any issues, must have had my head under a rock. I would have thought a spanking new engine sat doing it's thing would be more reliable than a supercharger on an engine that wasn't designed for it....

Rumour has it he did a few trackdays and it blew up

he sold it back to Reylands

Although this is all stuff ive seen mentioned on here and other places it maybe false info....

i apologise to dave if this isnt true

personally the only alternative to the KV6 id recommend is a T series Turbo conversion just look at Carmadbakers for example

Ritchy
18-07-11, 06:55 PM
think daves just needed the head gasket done and that was it, think reyland still has it with his zr, always exited by what reyland does as its properly exiting stuff done well, reyland and ade at aa autosport(do more zr creations)

i think if you are going to be chasing power then you need to change the engine to something else more tunable, there is hardly anything about for the kv6 more than anything so any small thing ends up costing a fortune compared to another engine where performance parts are on the shelf more readily,

Bobdope2002
18-07-11, 07:25 PM
think daves just needed the head gasket done and that was it, think reyland still has it with his zr, always exited by what reyland does as its properly exiting stuff done well, reyland and ade at aa autosport(do more zr creations)

thats what i heard TBH someone may have added it blew up etc

chinese whispers ETC ETC

big_wasa
18-07-11, 07:30 PM
I read the vag zs droped the pump impelor the temp went up and did the head gasket.

For any one with a K thats nothing new or anything that cant be fixed.

Jay-ZS+
18-07-11, 07:31 PM
I thought the platic impellers went on the waterpump, apparently quite common on the Vag engine as there is a metal upgrade. Caused the head gasket to go.

Prehaps Dave will clarify?!

Jay-ZS+
18-07-11, 07:32 PM
Im reading double :)

Ritchy
18-07-11, 07:38 PM
yeah that rings true from what i remember

Dave ZS-X
18-07-11, 07:47 PM
fair enough bobdope, you only say what you have heard......
but we all know who was saying it blew up and they are just plain lie'ing, i invite anyone to either ring or e-mail martin and find out for themselves.
The car did maybe 3000 miles flat out , constant hard driving, purely around race tracks, and maybe another 1000 miles of "fun " road driving, the only thing that failed was the water pump, plastic impellor. Unfortunately i was out on track when it happened and i didn't realise, and so i did 2 more laps wondering why power felt down before i saw the temp gauge!!
I let the car cool down and it drove perfect again but i couldn't drive it anymore as without a water pump cars overheat fast, i would love to see the state of any k engine after abuse like that !
Fitted new pump and car seemed fine, i had already decided the car was for sale before that trackday as i just couldn't afford it anymore ( builder+ recession= skint ), i discussed what had happened with martin and just happened to mention i was selling and he then offered me the best money and brought it back, so i sold it to martin not even knowing for sure if it had a problem, he even test drove it and found no issues, so he decided just to be safe he would whip the head off, skim it and fit a new gasket....end of tale !!!

Bobdope2002
18-07-11, 07:51 PM
fair enough bobdope, you only say what you have heard......
but we all know who was saying it blew up and they are just plain lie'ing, i invite anyone to either ring or e-mail martin and find out for themselves.
The car did maybe 3000 miles flat out , constant hard driving, purely around race tracks, and maybe another 1000 miles of "fun " road driving, the only thing that failed was the water pump, plastic impellor. Unfortunately i was out on track when it happened and i didn't realise, and so i did 2 more laps wondering why power felt down before i saw the temp gauge!!
I let the car cool down and it drove perfect again but i couldn't drive it anymore as without a water pump cars overheat fast, i would love to see the state of any k engine after abuse like that !
Fitted new pump and car seemed fine, i had already decided the car was for sale before that trackday as i just couldn't afford it anymore ( builder+ recession= skint ), i discussed what had happened with martin and just happened to mention i was selling and he then offered me the best money and brought it back, so i sold it to martin not even knowing for sure if it had a problem, he even test drove it and found no issues, so he decided just to be safe he would whip the head off, skim it and fit a new gasket....end of tale !!!

i was expecting you be calling me all the names under the son TBH

would like to clarify with you and i heard info from here and XPF before im accused of making the blowing up part up

p_b82
22-07-11, 12:53 PM
my mum's TT just had the impellors fail and it blew the head gasket.... seems as tho those vag's are not quite as imune as they would like us to believe :laugh:

Maxxed_Ross
22-07-11, 01:22 PM
the T series is the best option for easy big power, but it is a heavy big lump of an engine

Dave ZS-X
22-07-11, 01:30 PM
i dont think so,...what would you have to do to a T to get big power ?

mine was not highly tuned really, it only had the valves and rods replaced and it was genuinely ready for 400 bhp....at only 300 bhp i was barely scratching the surface ..........and if you make sure you have a newer design water pump with metal impellor you won't go far wrong , rflmao!

Jay-ZS+
22-07-11, 08:46 PM
A V8 Rwd would be awesome!! Anyone know what happened to Ades evo-zr build?

Ritchy
22-07-11, 09:04 PM
think its still slowly coming together, something like a nissan silvia engine would suit the zs so much, looks like it should be rwd.....if i have money to do up a car it would be doing something like that

fastmike
22-07-11, 09:11 PM
stick a Saab B204 in it.......plenty of cheap power there for the taking

Ritchy
22-07-11, 09:18 PM
had one n sold it for ?60:P think in all honestly easiest route is the t series, probably the most power would be the VAG route but the one i want to do is the honda like jonno's done with his zr, thats probably what im the most interested at the moment

stamford
22-07-11, 11:26 PM
There's not much more we can do on these engines that will bring a decent level of power and torque without it becoming unreliable and a moneypit. Most reckon between 200 and 210 is about the limit before it gets silly and most ZS 180 owners already know this by now. After that it is a case of transplants and whether it is worth spending the money, but if buying a cheap one for around ?500 as a base then it becomes more attractive imo. But that is assuming we stick with the ZS because we like it. Otherwise you'd be better off changing cars for something that responds to tuning for little effort and cost. But then again I quite like the underdog status and the way people scoff at the tarted up Rover. Nothing better than wiping a cheesy grin off someones face. Granted mine ain't quick but it still surprises a few out there and I'm more than happy with it as it is. Dave's 1.8T was the ideal conversion and really showed people what it could have been like if MGR had gone to town on a real ZS.

Maxxed_Ross
23-07-11, 07:41 AM
i dont think so,...what would you have to do to a T to get big power ?

Forged pistons and rods, ported head, bigger injectors, decent manifold and a big turbo :thumbsup:

fastmike
23-07-11, 08:59 AM
T16 is the easiest as all required parts are available from the MG/Rover parts bin.... VAG , I have no idea of how easy it is to transplant the engine ... ( MG g/box or VAG ? ) if its a VAG g/box its not harder to use a Saab B204 or B234 engine and box ( as I see it) ...The saab will take silly power on stock internals and you can even retain the Saab ECU... plenty of mappers on the Saab forum willing to map for not a lot
all IMHO of course

a 500 or 600 BHP ZS would scare a few Ferraris and Porkers LOL........ and to me thats the attraction:p

big_wasa
23-07-11, 09:15 AM
I am with mike.

The best power transplant has got to be the b234. 500bhp with just a very big turbo and a set of injectors.

The vag will be easier as martin at reyland has done the hard work.

vag stuff is dear and for the price of martins flywheel and adapter you could buy a 300bhp saab 9000.

I will have to wait untill the overtime comes back. To many projects and no space.

Ritchy
23-07-11, 09:15 AM
Its all about usable power though, 300 is plenty enough for a light fwd car

Dave ZS-X
23-07-11, 09:29 AM
reyland audi turbo engine conversion uses mg gearbox with an alluminium adaptor plate.
I guess there are pro's and con's for each tuning route but one thing each turbo conversion will have in common is ...........BIG GRINS

Supercharged_Z
23-07-11, 10:11 PM
If you can find a supercharger for good money i wouldnt just look down at it.

I ran a supercharger setup 100% reliable for 2 years plus on the road and light track, but at a more dedicated track day i hit a hicup which to be honest i expected as my map was unchanged for a long time.

it ran a good 250+ bhp and hit 13.5 @pod in a lightly striped zs, I assume with a flywheel and light wheels this would of been a 13.3 /2

miss the power and the charger, many positives i can say, power band is brilliant and it indeed goes well round track.

Ross

big_wasa
23-07-11, 10:15 PM
What was needed for reliability, Proper managment or a forged bottom end ?

Supercharged_Z
23-07-11, 10:31 PM
depends what you use the car for quite simply!!!.... if i hadnt taken my car around coombe in true anger it wouldnt of gone wrong... a correct managment system is 100%...