PDA

View Full Version : very slight v6 engine rattle?

jay.gray
22-07-11, 11:00 AM
Hi,

I viewed a ZS v6 the other day, took it for a test drive etc, i noticed a very very slight, rattle, light ticking sound coming from the back of the engine. this was very light and hardly noticeable over the rest of the engine sound.
would this just have been the engine noise itself or is there anything more sinister?
on the power side of it, i'm used to a 1.8 140bhp, so obviously there would have been a lot more to the v6 which i experienced, and it sounded better :-D coz my current motor sounds like a bag of spanners!!!!!!!

i'm just wondering what your thoughts are on this. thanks for your time on this matter.

stamford
22-07-11, 12:04 PM
It sounds like a sticky balance vis motor, very common or it may even be the purge valve. Best bet is to find someone local to you with a 180 and get them to show you around the engine and what to look for etc. These engines are generally pretty solid and seldom hear of one failing unless abused due to skipping service schedules etc.

Nor
22-07-11, 12:10 PM
I was thinking purge valve.

LozMachine
22-07-11, 01:05 PM
A light ticking at the rear could also be exhaust manfold

RalphG
22-07-11, 10:55 PM
Easy way to test whether it is the purge valve is to disconnect the plug from the top of the charcoal canister. If the clicking disappears then all is well.

haGGard
26-07-11, 02:55 PM
If it was only when the engine was cold, it could just be the rear bank knocking. Its common for it to 'knock' when cold.